Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:43 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times

Advertisements

Florigide summarized the Miami experience well. I had relatives that grew up in Allapatah in the same period. It used to be a nice area. Now it is a gang wasteland (with Coral Gables housing prices). The sad thing is, the crime here is so random. In other cities, crime is usually confined to bad areas or is generally between druggies and gangbangers. Not so here. Even on Xmas eve, there was a shootout at a nice mall (Boyton Beach Mall). Aparently they were rival gang members who started shooting at each other inside the crowded mall. Sure, the crime was between two gang members, but if they settle their differences in a crowded mall on Xmas eve, that scares the hell out of me.
Today I see the paper says we started off the new year on a bloody start. 4 murders as of Jan. 1st.
Miami was different. Now it has evolved...for the worse. As of late, it has been flooded with speculators and realtors who are somehow morbidly fascinated with this tawdry image, but then they realize no one else is. So, they have to sell Miami as some fantasy paradise that it no longer is. They deny the realities of daily life here for the non wealthy, they claim all is safe (behind their 9 foot high walls and security gates). Greed has ruined Miami, prices have gone through the roof, no one can afford to move, if someone sells, speculators buy and try to flip properties...so basically the trashy areas remain the same although more expensive. The quality of life keeps going down here...yet the eternal optimism of the realtors would lead you to beleive otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 08:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Florigide summarized the Miami experience well. I had relatives that grew up in Allapatah in the same period. It used to be a nice area. Now it is a gang wasteland (with Coral Gables housing prices). The sad thing is, the crime here is so random. In other cities, crime is usually confined to bad areas or is generally between druggies and gangbangers. Not so here. Even on Xmas eve, there was a shootout at a nice mall (Boyton Beach Mall). Aparently they were rival gang members who started shooting at each other inside the crowded mall. Sure, the crime was between two gang members, but if they settle their differences in a crowded mall on Xmas eve, that scares the hell out of me.
Today I see the paper says we started off the new year on a bloody start. 4 murders as of Jan. 1st.
Miami was different. Now it has evolved...for the worse. As of late, it has been flooded with speculators and realtors who are somehow morbidly fascinated with this tawdry image, but then they realize no one else is. So, they have to sell Miami as some fantasy paradise that it no longer is. They deny the realities of daily life here for the non wealthy, they claim all is safe (behind their 9 foot high walls and security gates). Greed has ruined Miami, prices have gone through the roof, no one can afford to move, if someone sells, speculators buy and try to flip properties...so basically the trashy areas remain the same although more expensive. The quality of life keeps going down here...yet the eternal optimism of the realtors would lead you to beleive otherwise.
EXACTLY! The idea that you can isolate yourself from crime in Miami is a fantasy. I have been able to do it, but by living in an isolated part of the keys and driving around in a really junky car and avoiding the city of Miami as much as possible. Investors keep buying and selling properties but one wonders how much longer this nonsense can go on. The poor in Miami are desperate, really desperate and people with nothing to lose and those under the influence think nothing about killing someone in the hopes of stealing something. I laugh when I see individuals showing off in luxury cars or spending money freely when going out, someone would be glad to put a gun in their face and demand it, and it happens. "Nice people" don't get anywhere in a place like Miami, crooks and criminals run the government. The consistent deterrioration of the quality of life started in the 60's in isolated areas and has sperad to include all areas of Miami-Dade County ( Greater Miami ) except the very wealthy enclaves. You would be hard pressed to find someone in Miami who has not been a victim of crime, but in my experience a lot of people I knew have been injured or killed by muggers, hit and run drivers, or in a police shootout. If you live in Miami and don't want to be a target of crime, live junky. The Team Metro will try and extort money from you, but the criminals roaming the streets will move on. As for the real estate investors, many never even live in this area so it's just profits from their flipping they care about.

In the past the high crime kept prices down, you traded safety for warm weather and low prices. Today there is no advantage and if a person lives in south Florida and has to earn a living, in 5 years they start complaining about the problems. No one will tell you that Miami gets better after they have served 10 years or more working there.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You would be hard pressed to find someone in Miami who has not been a victim of crime
You found one, and my whole family and friends. We work, we play, we go out and we live in the greater Miami.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Being extorted by Team Metro haha that was funny. I have called them so many times....oh let me explain.
Since the county is sooo bureaucratic, a neighborhood agency (more red tape) was formed to, in theory, cut down on the red tape and make it easier for "you" to get answers and responses, quicker, from the county government. Nice idea, right?
Well this is Miami, so the bureacracy is set up to serve itself here. If you call to report ilegal dumping of trash in the median, sorry, call Waste Management. What happens when you call WM? Call the FDOT, they own the road. Call FDOT? That is a neighborhood issue-Team Metro!!!! What if someone is cutting down trees in the swale (ilegal)? They say they will come out within 24 hours. Guess what Team Metro, it takes a grand total of 10 minutes to cut down a 50 year old tree with a chain saw. How about pit bulls on the loose? That would be Aninmal Control, wouldn't you think? NO! TEAM METRO hahaha it is madening. Sorr, just had to vent on Team Metro. Nonetheless, they are more than willing to come out and fine people for having a window replaced without a permit. Can you imagine that they have time for THAT? ok that is my rant hehe.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 AM

49 posts, read 133,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
so then explain why youre in jacksonville?
LOL!!! That's a good question!!LOL!!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I love Miami, but what you said is true. Every time I leave and come back, it has changed for the worse. I just can't believe how expensive the housing prices have skyrocketed in Broward and Miami-Dade counties, from 2004!!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
EXACTLY! The idea that you can isolate yourself from crime in Miami is a fantasy. I have been able to do it, but by living in an isolated part of the keys and driving around in a really junky car and avoiding the city of Miami as much as possible. Investors keep buying and selling properties but one wonders how much longer this nonsense can go on. The poor in Miami are desperate, really desperate and people with nothing to lose and those under the influence think nothing about killing someone in the hopes of stealing something. I laugh when I see individuals showing off in luxury cars or spending money freely when going out, someone would be glad to put a gun in their face and demand it, and it happens. "Nice people" don't get anywhere in a place like Miami, crooks and criminals run the government. The consistent deterrioration of the quality of life started in the 60's in isolated areas and has sperad to include all areas of Miami-Dade County ( Greater Miami ) except the very wealthy enclaves. You would be hard pressed to find someone in Miami who has not been a victim of crime, but in my experience a lot of people I knew have been injured or killed by muggers, hit and run drivers, or in a police shootout. If you live in Miami and don't want to be a target of crime, live junky. The Team Metro will try and extort money from you, but the criminals roaming the streets will move on. As for the real estate investors, many never even live in this area so it's just profits from their flipping they care about.

In the past the high crime kept prices down, you traded safety for warm weather and low prices. Today there is no advantage and if a person lives in south Florida and has to earn a living, in 5 years they start complaining about the problems. No one will tell you that Miami gets better after they have served 10 years or more working there.
Yeah, I love Miami, but all you said was true to. My dumb self keeps going back, because I love it, but I always usually find myself leaving, again, because of all the madness. I had thought about going back, again, but I think I should go back to Alabama and get over my "Miami Dream".

Old 01-03-2007, 09:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Being extorted by Team Metro haha that was funny. I have called them so many times....oh let me explain.
Since the county is sooo bureaucratic, a neighborhood agency (more red tape) was formed to, in theory, cut down on the red tape and make it easier for "you" to get answers and responses, quicker, from the county government. Nice idea, right?
Well this is Miami, so the bureacracy is set up to serve itself here. If you call to report ilegal dumping of trash in the median, sorry, call Waste Management. What happens when you call WM? Call the FDOT, they own the road. Call FDOT? That is a neighborhood issue-Team Metro!!!! What if someone is cutting down trees in the swale (ilegal)? They say they will come out within 24 hours. Guess what Team Metro, it takes a grand total of 10 minutes to cut down a 50 year old tree with a chain saw. How about pit bulls on the loose? That would be Aninmal Control, wouldn't you think? NO! TEAM METRO hahaha it is madening. Sorr, just had to vent on Team Metro. Nonetheless, they are more than willing to come out and fine people for having a window replaced without a permit. Can you imagine that they have time for THAT? ok that is my rant hehe.
Amazing because when I needed their help they did nothing. Call them for someone cutting down a tree? They don't come. But anything easy and that can make them $$$$$$$ of course they will be there! If it happens on county property, good luck, I had to call the cops to stop a neighbor to my parents from cutting down THEIR tree, I had to threaten the tree service with a weed burner because they couldn't hear me yell at them. Also had a problem with illegal signs placed in front of a new development blocking the view of an interesction. Called Team Metro and no luck. Called the DOT, it wasn't a state road. Finally I got my old truck and ran it over. They put it back up and I did the same. Finally the idiots drilled down to put in steel pipe and hit the telephone cable. After that, no more sign.

Team Metro still harasses my parents for their motor home, and the fat inspector is always trying to intimidate them. Last time he came over I was there, so I started listing the things I saw wrong with the county. He just got in the county car and drove away. Government is never there when you need it and always when you don't. Money runs Miami-Dade, period.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:20 PM

201 posts, read 983,458 times
Quote:

Sorry .... but I was born and raised in Miami , now live in Weston and in between lived in Naples and Atlanta Georgia . I am nearly 45 years old and I have never been a victim of crime , never had my home or car broken into , never been assaulted , held up , robbed or raped !!

Just have to be careful and take precautions where ever you go , ... in fact the only place I ever had my car broken into was in Atlanta !!

Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,153 times
dude youre in weston. white snob-land from what i hear
come down to the real latin miami.

i cant say ive been a victum of a crime but it seems quite possible especially a bit more north of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami