Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:40 AM

21 posts, read 196,587 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any ideas on safe areas around Miami? Is Kendall safe? I'm looking for a managable commute to downtown, but have kids and want some safety?

Speaking of that, are the gated communities any safer? If so, what would it take to buy in one of those. Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 11:46 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
Kendall is fairly safe, some petty crimes occur (car radio theft, egging and the like) but it isn't a teribbly violent place overall. I didn't live in a gated community when I lived there and never had a problem, IMO gated communities are a farce but if you want one they actually aren't just for the weathy areas in Kendall--you can get in one for even cheap 1 bedroom condos.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:48 PM

21 posts, read 196,587 times
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Any info on other areas that my family and I would feel safe in? Thanks.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
They build gated communities mostly to avoid setbacks and cram in more pidgeon holes to sell to desperate buyers. The majority of them are not exclusive at all in Dade or Broward counties. Doral ( an overpriced Latin American suburb) is FULL of them. SOme main streets don't even connect with other public streets for 1 mile or more. Makes for an interesting mess when an accident occurs.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Also when trying to enter or exit at rush hour is a nightmare. Couldn´t agree more with tallrick, the gated communities are not exclusive, more run of the mill, and not any safer. Feeling safe in Kendall is relative. It´s not the inner city, but it isn´t a nice laid-back suburb at all. It has tons of traffic, is far from downtown and a lot of low class people populating the apartments and somewhat more affordable apartments and condos and houses. None the less, there are some nice pockets, mainly near Miller Road and out by the Hammocks. Also some areas closer to Killian Drive are nicer.

Safe and Miami don´t go together. The only relatively safe suburbs might be Pinecrest, or the gated communities in the Gables or the private Islands and definantly Key Biscayne. Everyhwere else from Miami Lakes to Doral may be nice and upscale, but I don´t think living with petty crime on a daily basis is what most people want after paying 400,000 for a small house. Get prepared to hear about home invasions, car robberies ( much less the car radio robberies), people who have no sense of community nor respect for the neighbors etc. Even the nice areas in Kendall are going down the drain while the prices simultaneously go up. DEFINANTLY visit the area first and check in with Metro Dade Police Hammocks Stationa and Doral station to confirm crime problems in all areas and suburbs of the county. Buyer beware.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
North Miami & North Miami Beach!!!
You didn't mention your budget, so if that's not an issue, you have MANY choices!!!
Miami Shores, Miami Beach, Aventura, Key Biscayne, Morningside, Coral Gables - just to name a few!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:19 AM

243 posts, read 1,096,814 times
I've never had any safety problems ever living in Miami, and this includes while working in bad neighborhoods and partying into the wee hours of the night in the Grove, not just sitting at home in front of the computer. Then again 2 things about me #1) I can bench press 400 pounds and #2) I LOOK like a guy that can bench press 400 pounds. Maybe it's different if you're a woman or a kid or a pencil necked guy. But no safety problems that I personally can report.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
The Miami safe neighborhoods question has also been discussed on several other threads in the recent past. Perhaps the original poster of this thread would benefit from a key word search and read through the relevant posts.

In short, as others have mentioned, while we can make some general statements about large areas, like south Dade, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Dadeland, Kendall, etc., one really has to know a place from the ground up, neighborhood by neighborhood, and even then individual experiences do vary.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 AM

48 posts, read 222,435 times
can't bench press 400 lbs... as a matter of fact I am barely 100 lbs, but i do party till morning at the grove, the beach, downtown etc and have never had a problem. And this coming from a female. I grew up in Kendall until it became too overcrowded and moved west, now I can't stand driving through there!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 32,190 times
Default re safety

there are lots of safe neighborhoods in miami. i think your bigger issue is what school district to live in for kids and your commute. the drive downtown from kendall is hellish. you should consult a realtor ( i am a native miamian and a realtor ) not trying to push the realtor thing, but it is very practical to have a knowledgable person give you a reality check on what you can plan to spend to live in the nicest most convenient neighborhood possible for your budget, with the best schools. get lots of good advice and you'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami