Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 AM

26 posts, read 92,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
It is very apparent that all the cities mentioned in the article refer to city proper only, not metropolitan area. So the article refers to the city of Miami, or about 20% of Dade County's population. It does not include Kendall, Pinecrest, Coral Gables or even Pembroke Pines (Broward). The same can be said for the other cities on the list. You can "condemn" the old core city of Baltimore as a less than ideal place for kids, but what about the majority of the Baltimore area which is outside the city limits? (I'm not from Baltimore)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 01:10 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
I am not really surprised by the link. It probably is not just looking at the city of miami, as we all know the city of miami is really small. I have been saying this for a few years now, the link just backs up what i have known all along. I have said this on here many time, many of my friends with children have left South Florida, because to them South Florida isn't a great place to raise children. And it doesn't matter which part of South Florida you live, its still not a good place to raise children. Even in Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Kendall, Pembroke Pines, etc.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,820 times
Miami, Florida. Miami's bar scene may be a tropical playground for adults, but it doesn't have many playgrounds for children (only 1.4 per 10,000 residents). In addition, it has one of the worst crime rates and a shoddy graduation rate of 45 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by average dave View Post
It is very apparent that all the cities mentioned in the article refer to city proper only, not metropolitan area. So the article refers to the city of Miami, or about 20% of Dade County's population. It does not include Kendall, Pinecrest, Coral Gables or even Pembroke Pines (Broward). The same can be said for the other cities on the list. You can "condemn" the old core city of Baltimore as a less than ideal place for kids, but what about the majority of the Baltimore area which is outside the city limits? (I'm not from Baltimore)
Miami-Dade County overall is severely wanting in terms of playgrounds. Planning in that regard is much worse than in many other U.S. urban areas.

That graduation rate is for the Miami-Dade school system in total, not just Miami High. Detroit has a much worse graduation rate, if that's any consolation.

Miami-Dade county was the 11th most dangerous urban area, I believe according to 2006 data.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM

26 posts, read 92,845 times
My point was that these studies, as Doggiebus pointed out, often refer only to the central city proper, not the metropolitan area. I regret responding, considering this thread is about private schools. And by the way, I don't necessarily disagree with your assessments of Miami as a poor place to raise kids, whether it's Kendall, Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Medley, or Stiltsville.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,820 times
I don't necessarily agree with the blanket statement that it's a poor place, but it takes some thought and effort -- and money.

I and a lot of people I know were raised here...we seemed to have survived it. I was just at a high school reunion (Killian), and a lot of people have done quite well. That was 30 years ago, though, so it may not mean much.

(By the way, my family was not at all wealthy, and if I'd gone to a private school, it would have had to have been on a full scholarship. It was never actually considered.)

Old 03-02-2009, 12:42 PM

8 posts, read 45,805 times
We tried Lourdes, but you must be catholic. How about Palmer Trinity anyone?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 PM

39 posts, read 102,651 times
That's because the public schools are so bad.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM

37 posts, read 127,422 times
I take exception to that. Public schools are great here.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:50 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsofla View Post
I take exception to that. Public schools are great here.
Some of them are, not all. The public high schools I'd say are exceptionally good are:

Miami Killian, Miami Palmetto, DASH, MAST, New World School of the Arts, Dr. Michael Krop, Miami Coral Reef, Robert Morgan, South Dade, and Miami Beach High.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:23 PM

37 posts, read 127,422 times
Ferguson, Braddock, and Varela are excellent schools as well. And they are building a new magnet high school in Kendall, unnamed as yet, but called the Green School, that will be all about the environment, recycling, and will have solar panels, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami