Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:54 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymiami View Post
My daughter graduated from Our Lady Of Lourdes. When she got to college, she said that she was greatly prepared do to the formation she received at Lourdes.
I've consistently heard good things about Lourdes. Overall, Miami has a good range of top-quality private schools. I've never seen a city with such a good variety of really good top-quality private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,406 times
Default schools

For high school some of the best are:
Belen, Columbus (both all boys)
Lourdes, Carrolton (both all girls)
Gulliver, Ransom, Westminister

These are all great schools that open a lot of doors college wise to their students.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 PM

2 posts, read 12,936 times
Lightbulb Education in Miami is horrible compared to the rest of the World.

I think St. Stephens is a great school located in the Grove prek-5th its extremly expensive for this economy but what makes the school horrible is that if you do not fork out some cash during the school year you are treated like dirt. I know this because my children currently are there but this coming year I will be taking them out.

My top schools from living here and attending a few myself are:

Ransom
Carrolton
Belen (my brothers went there)
Lourdes

In all honesty I am hoping to leave Miami I am not happy with the education that is taught here compared to other states and countries.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 AM

292 posts, read 956,439 times
Westminster is highly rated nationally.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:03 PM

108 posts, read 415,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What about Ransom Everglades??? It's supposed to be a great school.
I have a few students from Ransom and Gulliver work in my lab over the summers. They were uniformly dedicated, engaged, serious, mature, thoughthful high-strung, nervous, edgy, type A over-achieving old-young people.

I liked them, but man, they need to R E L A X a bit...

DR

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 AM

46 posts, read 165,508 times
I know it's not private...but how about Key Biscayne Elementary....is that a good school?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Rico View Post
I have a few students from Ransom and Gulliver work in my lab over the summers. They were uniformly dedicated, engaged, serious, mature, thoughthful high-strung, nervous, edgy, type A over-achieving old-young people.

I liked them, but man, they need to R E L A X a bit...

DR
That's really funny and pretty accurate from my observations.
Just remember if they are working in your lab over the summer, they are by nature the more over-achieving type.

I know quite a few kids at the high school level in those 2 schools and 1 is a typical popular (but really respectful and nice) jock, 1 an aspiring opera singer and 1 an aspiring thespian.
Quite a few are typical spoiled rich kids, but I've been very impressed with the quality of kids I've met around here, private and public.

I'd reiterate Gulliver and add Beth Am for specifically elementary.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM

108 posts, read 415,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
That's really funny and pretty accurate from my observations.

Just remember if they are working in your lab over the summer, they are by nature the more over-achieving type.

Very true, but I also sponsor Miami-Dade public school students through the Howard Highes Medical Institute and, while the public school kids are motivated and at the top of their programs, they are nowhere near the depth, breadth, maturity....and neuroses of the Gullivar/Ransom kids. Night and Day.

Both sets of students are from traditionally "underrepresented minority" groups in the sciences.

But my sample size is small (N = 18 over four summers) and my report is only anecdotal.

NB: my stepdaughters attended the public schools (albeit, magnet programs) and were equally adept as the private school kids in my lab, but much more R E L A X E D. Then again, they grew up with no TV and spent alot of their afterschool time playing/talking with neighbor kids and hanging in the lab. Plenty of excellent etcahers/programs in the public schools, but one needs to be an informed eductaion consumer, natch.

DR

Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 10,737 times
what do you think about Miami country day school?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Related: The 10 Worst Cities to Raise a Family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami