Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
Hey dude, you asked us what we think so we are giving you our opinions. If you don't agree or like our opinions then this is your problem, not ours.
Hey dude, he has a right to tell you he disagrees with your opinion. Pretty clear you want to put people in their little boxes anyway.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Another tid bit of information about living in Miami, if you agree or not, just by living there you are in some small way harboring the illegal narcotics industry. Because in my opinion the majority of large construction built today and in the past is from money profited from the sell of hard core narcotics such as cocaine. It is commonly viewed that 85% of all construction in Miami is funded from laundered drug money. Keep this in mind if you want to live there. Bottom line, how would you feel that by just living in Miami you are in some small way connected to the trafficking of hard core illicit drugs such has meth, cocaine, crack, etc?
Are you frickn kidding me? You want to guilt trip the OP into thinking he is somehow contributing to Miami's under world. He has stated he is a young professional and speaks THREE languages. Give it a rest already. He is the kind of person Miami should want to attract.

Best of luck to you OP. I speak English, conversational Spanish and a little Portuguese. And Portuguese is not easy to learn. So I admire/envy your fluency.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Another tid bit of information about living in Miami, if you agree or not, just by living there you are in some small way harboring the illegal narcotics industry. Because in my opinion the majority of large construction built today and in the past is from money profited from the sell of hard core narcotics such as cocaine. It is commonly viewed that 85% of all construction in Miami is funded from laundered drug money. Keep this in mind if you want to live there. Bottom line, how would you feel that by just living in Miami you are in some small way connected to the trafficking of hard core illicit drugs such has meth, cocaine, crack, etc?
I'm not a fan of Miami, but this has to be the most outrageous claim I've read on here. As an almost lifelong resident of this city, I'm harboring the illegal narcotics industry?! I'm now connected to the trafficking of hard core illicit drugs, albeit, only in some small way. At least I feel a little better knowing it's in a small way and not full on, hard core, big way. What would my kids think?

Old 04-14-2015, 05:19 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
http://blog.onesothebysrealty.com/wp...mi-Skyline.jpg

This is not really a con but Biscayne Bay and Miami skyline maybe a disappointment compared to Lake Michigan and Chicago's skyline, both are linear, but Chicago definitely has more depth and infrastructure.
Miami is not as big Chicago, I'm sure the Cheetah knows that. I predict however, with our rate of growth, the metro area will surpass that of Chicago's in maybe 20-30 years.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:46 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Primary con for me is remembering the way Miami used to be, compared to what it is now. So many of the aspects I prioritized have been taken away or diminished, like the Orange Bowl and golf courses in the south end and old-favorite restaurants that are long gone.

Obviously the demographics have changed. That bothers me only occasionally, although it does make me a bit envious of other communities, for example, when I travel elsewhere and the first employee I encounter is speaking English and not Spanish when I approach them.

The terrible aggressive driving problems can't be diminished. Sorry, it's not mythology or overblown. I just had another direct experience, driving almost 6000 miles total to Las Vegas and back. On the return I pulled a two-axle Uhaul. I was concerned as soon as I hooked it up in Las Vegas about other drivers respecting that trailer, and not causing trouble for me by zig zag driving or darting out from behind me when I couldn't see them. For the first 2300+ miles I was astonished and pleasantly surprised at how sensible and respectful everyone was. I didn't have one issue. When I signaled they gave me room. Nobody was stopping suddenly in front of me or cutting me off. Those vehicles in tow are hardly as agile or easy to handle as a standard setup.

Not until I reached South Florida did the fireworks begin. It was surreal, like I flipped a switch. Just south of West Palm Beach, which was earlier than I anticipated. Suddenly I had morons angling in front of me, leaving feet if not mere inches of clearance. Sports cars would cross from right to left and then back again, always in desperation to gain an extra few feet even though an obvious blockage was ahead and all of us would be forced to stop. I felt incredible tension and couldn't wait for the trip to end.

Drivers in this area are not smart. It's as simple as that. They don't understand angles or basic probability. Incredible tunnel vision. As long as they see an opening, they can't fathom any other variable that could go wrong. Nobody matters except themselves.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:05 PM

604 posts, read 618,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
Drivers in this area are not smart. It's as simple as that. They don't understand angles or basic probability. Incredible tunnel vision. As long as they see an opening, they can't fathom any other variable that could go wrong. Nobody matters except themselves.
Probably the best description of local driver I've ever read

Old 04-14-2015, 04:25 PM

242 posts, read 346,302 times
It is really very simple. One big reason why Miami's quality of life is so low is that the majority of drivers in South Florida are third world immigrants, and they are driving the same way they drove back in their homeland of Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Brazil, etc. They never changed and adopted to the American safe way of driving and this is why a lot of South Florida just sucks and is so dangerous, especially driving on the roads. It really is that bad.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:33 PM

242 posts, read 346,302 times
Let me add this -- Just last week I was driving up 95 from Coral Gables and in the near distant I saw cars weaving insanely in and out of traffic. Well sure enough some moron caused a major accident and all lanes came to a screeching halt. As I got closer I saw people injured hanging out of their windows with severed arms and legs. One man was screaming in pain from blood leaking out of his neck as he might surely die of blood deprivation. Everyone was yelling in spanish like some stupid game show on tv. It was like a scene out a Brian De Palma movie. It was the sickest thing I have ever seen in my life and I almost had to stop my car and vomit on the side of the freeway.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Good lord. A bit sour? Sounds like to me Miami isn't your problem.
You're very astute.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
Primary con for me is remembering the way Miami used to be, compared to what it is now. So many of the aspects I prioritized have been taken away or diminished, like the Orange Bowl and golf courses in the south end and old-favorite restaurants that are long gone.

Obviously the demographics have changed. That bothers me only occasionally, although it does make me a bit envious of other communities, for example, when I travel elsewhere and the first employee I encounter is speaking English and not Spanish when I approach them.

The terrible aggressive driving problems can't be diminished. Sorry, it's not mythology or overblown. I just had another direct experience, driving almost 6000 miles total to Las Vegas and back. On the return I pulled a two-axle Uhaul. I was concerned as soon as I hooked it up in Las Vegas about other drivers respecting that trailer, and not causing trouble for me by zig zag driving or darting out from behind me when I couldn't see them. For the first 2300+ miles I was astonished and pleasantly surprised at how sensible and respectful everyone was. I didn't have one issue. When I signaled they gave me room. Nobody was stopping suddenly in front of me or cutting me off. Those vehicles in tow are hardly as agile or easy to handle as a standard setup.

Not until I reached South Florida did the fireworks begin. It was surreal, like I flipped a switch. Just south of West Palm Beach, which was earlier than I anticipated. Suddenly I had morons angling in front of me, leaving feet if not mere inches of clearance. Sports cars would cross from right to left and then back again, always in desperation to gain an extra few feet even though an obvious blockage was ahead and all of us would be forced to stop. I felt incredible tension and couldn't wait for the trip to end.

I could have written this post word for word myself. The only difference is that my husband and I trailered a U-Haul from OR not Vegas in 1983, not now. Even then, the exact same thing happened. The entire trip was fine until we reached S. Fl. I can't imagine how much worse it would be now compared to then. Awsi Dooser, you are some kind of brave or crazy! I would have to be knocked out to mentally survive the last leg of that trip! How I wish we would've never come all the way down and stopped no further than mid state. To top it off about a month into returning to Miami a dump truck ran a red light and almost killed us. We were in a '73 Camaro which saved our lives. At least it taught us to never ever just go when the light turns green. You must wait for not the one car to run the red but the two, three or even four that do it. It's like they're connected with an invisible chain and all must take the red. The drivers here are the worst thing about living in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami