Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 12:48 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
LA traffic is worse because the dead spots cover a bigger geographic area. In Miami, it tends to be just Miami-Dade. Broward and Palm Beach [could be compared to Orange County] are a breeze relatively speaking.

I live in the worst of it though, Miami Beach. Leaving the Beach can see 40 minutes on just side streets during 5-6pm. It's a nightmare.
The Mayor and Commission in Miami Beach don't seem to appreciate what it means to live in an island city which has more visitors and workers than residents. Only so many ways in and out. Only so many lanes on each causeway. Which when they back up, it backs up in to our residential neighbourhoods. Only so many parking spots on the island as a whole--let alone enough spots that are convenient enough for those too lazy to park in a garage and walk 10 minutes (which, surprisingly, is A LOT of people). City wants to build more garages and expand the local trolley system. If people are too lazy to walk 10 minutes, they're not going to park far and take a trolley which also gets stuck in the same traffic! Nothing the City has done recently can do a thing to help transportation across the Causeways. Not entirely the City's fault, though, since anything with the Causeways has to involve the County and FDOT.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:30 PM

699 posts, read 610,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
The Mayor and Commission in Miami Beach don't seem to appreciate what it means to live in an island city which has more visitors and workers than residents. Only so many ways in and out. Only so many lanes on each causeway. Which when they back up, it backs up in to our residential neighbourhoods. Only so many parking spots on the island as a whole--let alone enough spots that are convenient enough for those too lazy to park in a garage and walk 10 minutes (which, surprisingly, is A LOT of people). City wants to build more garages and expand the local trolley system. If people are too lazy to walk 10 minutes, they're not going to park far and take a trolley which also gets stuck in the same traffic! Nothing the City has done recently can do a thing to help transportation across the Causeways. Not entirely the City's fault, though, since anything with the Causeways has to involve the County and FDOT.
Yeah I agree there is not much that can be done. Most people wouldn't use PT even if it was expended. And American culture privileges parking as close as possible. Just yesterday I saw some tourists [or from elsewhere in Miami] park on a yellow dashed curbside in Washington and begin screaming at someone in front of me if they would be towed. He just smirked and said: you're parked on a yellow.

I guess we should be grateful we live in such a desirable place. I refuse to leave the beach between 4-8pm.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:31 PM

289 posts, read 304,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
There's really nothing that can be done about it, though. Not without constructing additional causeways, which is pretty much a pipe dream given the costs and the scope of the projects. One thing I WOULD love to see is some legit mass-transit. Miami is one of the few places where a monorail actually makes sense. Run it from the Airport to Surfside, and put a hefty toll on all of the causeways inbound to Miami Beach for non-residents. A similar set-up is the only reason why traffic manages to move in NYC at all, and I think it could do wonders here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami