Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM

326 posts, read 1,170,045 times

Advertisements

Hey blonde you should look in Coral Way next to Little Havana but a world away. Little Havana is nice in the day time. At night it's more dangerous still not on the level of places you would think.

I see Little Havana as an immigrant city whatever new wave of immagrants hits Miami goes to live there first knowing it's a spanish community. So of course many central americans have been moving to Miami. You go to Little Havana the only Cubans you see are old living there. Because they came to this country old, it's the only language they know, everything is close, and convinient.

Newman: Little Havana does have gangs not on the level as the black communities. But Central American gangs running out the Cubans? Did MS-13 tell the Cubans they gotta move to the suburbs or else! Because thats what happened Cubans moved to South n West Miami, Kendall, a bunch of other Suburbs outside of the city, and Hialeah.

Hey your from NY did the Chinese gangs kick the Italians out of Little Italy? No even though it might look like it, they simply move to the suburbs. As does any race of people that move to this country.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I see those construction workers fearing for their life on my website as they build Marlin Stadium(Former site of Orange Bowl).
You are welcome to move down to Little Havana and partake in its splendors .... maybe I am wrong and it is this great safe place to live ??

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
You are welcome to move down to Little Havana and partake in its splendors .... maybe I am wrong and it is this great safe place to live ??
I agree with Noland, Little Havana for the most part is not very appealing to the eye(too much concrete, but some areas are actually well kept) but I don't think it's dangerous. If I ever had to live there, safety would not be something I would be worried about as long as you use common sense just like in any other part of the county.

I am most familiar with the worst, less appealing side of Little Havana, the NE side. The culture there sucks but it's not gang infested or a place you should be avoid driving at nighttime.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,947 times
I live in Little Havana...deep in the heart of it and am not Latino. I stand out like a sore thumb and yet have never felt unsafe. A slightly rundown building and a slightly drunk Honduran does not make a neighborhood bad. The people in Little Havana may dress poor or speak vulgar Spanish, but they have more class than most of the county does. People in Miami have no idea what a bad neighborhood is, they should visit Philly, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, DC and other cities that have real ghettos.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:43 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Little havana is no more dangerous than anywhere else (from a Gringo)

Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 PM

190 posts, read 493,164 times
When I was there, I stopped my car and took several photos. Eventhough most Americans have been conditioned to be afraid of dark-haired people through popular media, including movies (e.g., Lord of the Rings), I felt safe. Different is not necessarily bad.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Well as a Little Havana native I can say that the bounderies are blurred and many people have different perspectives. Maybe my street is "good" so I think the area is charming. But cross X street and, well, I am not "familiar" with that area...lol

East Little Havana is not safe by any means, and is not like any other area in the country by any stretch of the imagination. What makes it unsafe is the lack of home ownership, high amounts of rentals, transient population, large amount of AFLs (Assisted Living Facilities) which is where mentally ill live "independently," there are a lot of boarding houses for people...how can I put this...looking for a second chance after paying their debt to society....lots of "second chance apartments" for people with bad credit....so I do question some of the very nonchalant posts. However, I will say that areas south of SW 10th St are overall pretty nice. The closer to Flagler and Downtown, the trashier it is. The really great thing about this area is the layout, the more urban feel of the neighborhood, the larger trees south of 8 St, the lack of uniformity and suburban stlyle, sterile zoning, etc.

Little Havana isn't dangerous like its a war zone, but there are a share fair of homless, people down on their luck, section 8 housing facilities and a general lack of upkeep that comes with this. I think when people ask about Little Havana they usually (unwittingly) are referring to areas along SW 8 St and Flagler, east of 27 Ave. and us natives consider a much broader and nicer area to be Little Havana (like where La Carreta and Versailles are on the SW 8 St. strip further up). But to be totally honest, east of 27 Ave and north of 10 St is not the best area. As I said earlier, areas south of 10 St are nice, dare I say very nice, but that isn't really Little Havana as much as Shenandoah, Silver Bluff, The Roads, etc.

The area along 8th St. is fine to be out and about and strolling, it has been cleaned up from years past, but it still has edge, which is a good thing. But living along it or places farther north are nothing like living 5 blocks south.

There really has been a lot of gentrification, but many apartments in Little Havana are not in the best condition and rented by elderly...so even if you see cheap rents, they are probably targeted for a special segment of the population...

Those are just some thoughts I have that I think people should keep in mind when considering the area.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:36 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamo4u View Post
I live in Little Havana...deep in the heart of it and am not Latino. I stand out like a sore thumb and yet have never felt unsafe. A slightly rundown building and a slightly drunk Honduran does not make a neighborhood bad. The people in Little Havana may dress poor or speak vulgar Spanish, but they have more class than most of the county does. People in Miami have no idea what a bad neighborhood is, they should visit Philly, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, DC and other cities that have real ghettos.

umm overtown, the areas around nw 62nd st in liberty city are real ghettos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Well as a Little Havana native I can say that the bounderies are blurred and many people have different perspectives. Maybe my street is "good" so I think the area is charming. But cross X street and, well, I am not "familiar" with that area...lol

East Little Havana is not safe by any means, and is not like any other area in the country by any stretch of the imagination. What makes it unsafe is the lack of home ownership, high amounts of rentals, transient population, large amount of AFLs (Assisted Living Facilities) which is where mentally ill live "independently," there are a lot of boarding houses for people...how can I put this...looking for a second chance after paying their debt to society....lots of "second chance apartments" for people with bad credit....so I do question some of the very nonchalant posts. However, I will say that areas south of SW 10th St are overall pretty nice. The closer to Flagler and Downtown, the trashier it is. The really great thing about this area is the layout, the more urban feel of the neighborhood, the larger trees south of 8 St, the lack of uniformity and suburban stlyle, sterile zoning, etc.

Little Havana isn't dangerous like its a war zone, but there are a share fair of homless, people down on their luck, section 8 housing facilities and a general lack of upkeep that comes with this. I think when people ask about Little Havana they usually (unwittingly) are referring to areas along SW 8 St and Flagler, east of 27 Ave. and us natives consider a much broader and nicer area to be Little Havana (like where La Carreta and Versailles are on the SW 8 St. strip further up). But to be totally honest, east of 27 Ave and north of 10 St is not the best area. As I said earlier, areas south of 10 St are nice, dare I say very nice, but that isn't really Little Havana as much as Shenandoah, Silver Bluff, The Roads, etc.

The area along 8th St. is fine to be out and about and strolling, it has been cleaned up from years past, but it still has edge, which is a good thing. But living along it or places farther north are nothing like living 5 blocks south.

There really has been a lot of gentrification, but many apartments in Little Havana are not in the best condition and rented by elderly...so even if you see cheap rents, they are probably targeted for a special segment of the population...

Those are just some thoughts I have that I think people should keep in mind when considering the area.
little Havana( west) isnt dangerous at all, very nice area, upkept homes, most crime is burglaries, and car theft.

east little Havana on the other hand is dangerous, as its close to allapattah and overtown.

east hialeah is less appealing than west little havana imo, take a stroll down nw 62( e9th and w9th st) start from okeechobee road and go down untill about e10th ave. its really ugly. looks like east little havana

Last edited by somebodymiami; 12-24-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM

90 posts, read 71,019 times
When I lived in Miami, I always thought that Little Havana was one of the more interesting parts of the city. The area that rolled into Shenandoah wasn't bad at all and the houses were somewhat rustic, but interesting and had bags of character, unlike the usual cookie cutter junk you find in the Dade & Broward sprawl. Unlike much of Miami, it had character, even if its particular form of character isn't everyone's cup of tea. I am no fan of sprawling places like Kendall or Hialeah, both of which are basically concrete jungles and Kendall is very characterless and bland. So of all the lower / middle income areas of Miami, I'd have to say that Little Havana is probably the most desirable and I always found it to be relatively safe.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 8,947 times
Its true that Overtown and Liberty are bad but they are smaller and have a lot more cops than north philly or anacostia in D.C. Very few ghettos have home owership and this is always a problem but the economies of places like detroit are so bad that even hustlers cant make money and this drives up crimes like armed robberies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami