Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Gangs in Little Havana ? Thats a first.
You bet there are gangs and plenty of them in Little Havana .. there are many recently arrived Central American immigrants who are driving out the original Cubans and there is quite an issue with MS-13 gang members from Honduras and El Salvador in that area .... I happen to like Miami Dade County more than most posters here , but you have to call a spade a spade and ghetto culture and gangs are an issue in Miami and Little Havana is a hub .

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
Little Havana was hit hard by the bubble, it really does have a great location, regardless of how run down or ghetto or how poor the residents are. It is overpriced, but the prices are all based on it's up and coming potential...LOL!!!! That Flagler stretch has a lot of people "hanging" out, drinking and just walking around on foot. It is pretty bad at night but at day it's so-so.

Flagler and 13th isn't dangerous imo, now Flagler and 7th or 8th ave, that area is down right scary but by 12th ave the danger is less so and it gets safer in increments every 10 blocks or so until you hit 97 ave when it gets crappy again for the end stretch in Sweetwater. But that isn't Little Havana by then.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 AM

5 posts, read 20,361 times
Chelito

That area from 7th downwards has never been proper Little Havana. A long time ago it was inhabited by Dominicans and Puerto Ricans and the area was called "Vietnam".

Little Havana is overpriced because established Cubans families pay dearly for a apartment for their old people or newly arrived families. There's also people that love to live there. There's no crime and no gangs. I know the owner of a bookstore in Flagler four streets up from 12th ave and he says that the area is peaceful. He's been there for almost 50 years. As to non-Cubans, they keep to themselves and don't bother much.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
Bobadas

I was born in Chile and half raised there and here in Miami... but I never ever lived in such a bad place like Little Havana. It was my first time there and believe me, there a lot of gang appearance dudes in that area. They ride bicycles and they stare at you (I'm a young lady alone in the car)...

Do you know why housing in that area is so high if that area if full of poor people?

I live in Kendall and you can get something way better for the same price....

Little Havana is in fact most of Miami Dade. You might live better among waspy Anglos, in Arkansas or somewhere. The US is such a big country.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
ehh little havana isn't dangerous, there are different sections of it though.. i mean if it looks really ugly chances are you gotta worry about your car getting broken into.. but there are also family oreinted sections. I can't imagine most parts of little havana that you have to worry about being put at gunpoint and murdered, come on guys this isn't overtown or liberty city.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Burgler

You're right. My brother lives there and he loves to walk around that area. Seems that "walking people" are suspects and loitering is still a crime. Miami is packed with paranoid people hearing all those radio stations and tv shows talking b.s.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 AM

112 posts, read 282,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl123456 View Post
I found this sweet artist loft 1800sqft in Little Havana for $1k a month. Is Little Havana a dangerous place for a blonde girl to live?
no most girls in little habana are blonde with colored contact lenses no one will know you aint from the hood

Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobadaz View Post
Chelito

That area from 7th downwards has never been proper Little Havana. A long time ago it was inhabited by Dominicans and Puerto Ricans and the area was called "Vietnam".

Little Havana is overpriced because established Cubans families pay dearly for a apartment for their old people or newly arrived families. There's also people that love to live there. There's no crime and no gangs. I know the owner of a bookstore in Flagler four streets up from 12th ave and he says that the area is peaceful. He's been there for almost 50 years. As to non-Cubans, they keep to themselves and don't bother much.
No crime and no gangs in Little Havana .... that is just totally untrue .. while it is not Overtown , Liberty City or even Carol City ... Little Havana although not a war zone has gone down hill steadily since I moved here to South Florida in the mid 80's too many illegals from Central America and too many newly arrived Cuban Adjustment Act people that are not assimilating .... this has caused the quality of life for the long time residents to deteriorate ... my wife who is Cuban American has an sweet 83 year old aunt that lives near the old Orange Bowl , we go down there all the time and we hear horror stories from her and her neighbors which are older long time Cuban American residents ... to say that there are no gangs and crime in Little Havana is to wear rose colored glasses !!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,059,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
No crime and no gangs in Little Havana .... that is just totally untrue .. while it is not Overtown , Liberty City or even Carol City ... Little Havana although not a war zone has gone down hill steadily since I moved here to South Florida in the mid 80's too many illegals from Central America and too many newly arrived Cuban Adjustment Act people that are not assimilating .... this has caused the quality of life for the long time residents to deteriorate ... my wife who is Cuban American has an sweet 83 year old aunt that lives near the old Orange Bowl , we go down there all the time and we hear horror stories from her and her neighbors which are older long time Cuban American residents ... to say that there are no gangs and crime in Little Havana is to wear rose colored glasses !!
She's 83, C'mon at that age even Star Island looks like Baghdad.

The place is the same, yes there is some crime but it's not a war zone. The same can be said about most neighborhoods in Miami Dade. Many families live in the same street or are very close with their neighbors. That could be a reason for getting some stares(they know you don't belong in that street). I have some friends in the North Eastern part(considered the most dangerous) and to tell you the truth I feel like my car is safer there because over there everybody is always watching who goes in and out.

It's like a small town, you trade privacy for safety. There is always someone out there. I even checked the Google maps picture for my friends street to see if they had captured those people and of course they're there, staring at the Google truck camera, what a surprise. I go there very often during the day and at nighttime and have never had any negative experiences, just the usual stares even though they know perfectly well who I am, where I live,why I am there etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I see those construction workers fearing for their life on my website as they build Marlin Stadium(Former site of Orange Bowl).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami