Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM

132 posts, read 495,846 times

Advertisements

I'm a single guy that lived and worked in Miami for a year and have returned back to NYC. I was making a nice 6 digit salary that went really far in the local economy, but I still didn't like it. Since I moved away from Miami, so many people have asked me why I didn't like it. Here's the reasons why:

1) Huge Cuban population. I like Cuban people, but their culture tends to isolate against outsiders. I never really felt welcome in Miami. I was never invited over anyone's house for a BBQ or party. I did get invited for a single happy hour and some sporting events where they needed people.

2) If I revealed that I was new to Miami, people never gave me locals advice. Instead, they distrusted me or isolated against me. I had to change my story to: "I live in Miami", in order to get people to open up me to me a little.

3) I lived in inland Miami, which is a totally different culture than Miami beach or South Beach. Anyone new to Miami should live in Miami Beach or South Beach or else they probably won't last (like me).

4) The further inland you go, the more aggressive drivers are and the more unfriendly people are. The less likely you'll get a "Hello" from strangers as you walk by.

5) People often ask me about the crime, but I didn't have any problems with crime. I was afraid of the general populace however. It's perfect legal to just buy a gun from Walmart and keep it in your glove compartment!

6) My female boss had a concealed carry license, so I decided to go check out the class. It was such a joke. Just how to hold a gun and aim it properly. No discussion on grey area situations like: "You are pumping gas at night and someone comes running at you. What do you do?". No discussion whatsoever. This made me even more afraid of the population.

6.5) I never saw a single car pulled over for speeding or other traffic violation the entire time I was there! I guess its supposed to be a self-policing state? Drivers were ultra aggressive since they could be with no fear from cops! (Inland Miami)

7) The heat in the summer is almost as bad as NYC's cold in the winter. I basically had to run into A/C from Jun - Aug.

8) I never understood the dating rules there. I knew I had to be super-aggressive in order to keep up with the other guys. Even after I got dates, I was under the impression that I had to text her every 4 hours or else she would lose interest. Half the women I talked to seemed to be dating as a means for living. It seemed to be understood that men pay for everything and buy expensive gifts for women.

9) Not much to do outside of the beach. Not many mountain hiking trails, no big broadway shows. Didn't seem to be bicycle friendly on the streets (Inland).

10) Most of the transient people that I made friends with eventually moved away. I made some deep friendships there that hurt when those people moved away. Maybe that's the reason why locals keep their distance??

Overall, I didn't hate Miami, it just wasn't for me. I met a lot of cool people there that I still keep in touch with. Obviously, I would have done things differently if I did it again. I would live in Miami Beach somewhere. I would limit myself to talking to tourists or other transient people. The beaches are great!! I really miss that part. I'm sure a whole bunch of locals will refute everything I'm saying with this or that example, but hey, this is just my honest opinion. Part of me really does miss Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,956 times
The suburbs are usually a fairly unfriendly place no matter where you are. Where exactly did you live inland?

In NY (well, for me NJ) the air runs from the middle of June thru August, too, so I would say that's about equal. Honestly you need A/C in Miami from the end of May to the end of September/early October depending on the weather that year. That might seem like a lot to some people, but considering you get 7 months (mid October to mid May) of pretty much no A/C and no heat, I'd say that's better than 99% of the country.

While NYC undoubtedly has Miami beat when it comes to city life and all the amenities, IMO Miami is far more exciting. In NY everything is pretty much done. Yes, there's redevelopment and the great additions like dedicated bike lanes, but it's so crowded and so built up that nobody sees the details. People in NY are a number and anything new is overshadowed by the past.

As for hiking trails, Miami has plenty of them, but of course there are no mountains.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm a single guy that lived and worked in Miami for a year and have returned back to NYC. I was making a nice 6 digit salary that went really far in the local economy, but I still didn't like it. Since I moved away from Miami, so many people have asked me why I didn't like it. Here's the reasons why:

1) Huge Cuban population. I like Cuban people, but their culture tends to isolate against outsiders. I never really felt welcome in Miami. I was never invited over anyone's house for a BBQ or party. I did get invited for a single happy hour and some sporting events where they needed people.
Did you become friends with them? People don't just invited strangers to houses. I think that goes for most people. Not just "Cubans"
2) If I revealed that I was new to Miami, people never gave me locals advice. Instead, they distrusted me or isolated against me. I had to change my story to: "I live in Miami", in order to get people to open up me to me a little.
Seems like you were just talking to the wrong people.
3) I lived in inland Miami, which is a totally different culture than Miami beach or South Beach. Anyone new to Miami should live in Miami Beach or South Beach or else they probably won't last (like me).
No idea what "inland" means but there are plenty of other areas besides for Miami Beach, like Downtown, Brickell, Gables, Coconut Grove.
4) The further inland you go, the more aggressive drivers are and the more unfriendly people are. The less likely you'll get a "Hello" from strangers as you walk by.
You are going back to NYC. And you want strangers to say Hello? This is not Happville South Carolina population 500.
5) People often ask me about the crime, but I didn't have any problems with crime. I was afraid of the general populace however. It's perfect legal to just buy a gun from Walmart and keep it in your glove compartment!
As it is in many states in this country.
6) My female boss had a concealed carry license, so I decided to go check out the class. It was such a joke. Just how to hold a gun and aim it properly. No discussion on grey area situations like: "You are pumping gas at night and someone comes running at you. What do you do?". No discussion whatsoever. This made me even more afraid of the population.
I agree that CCW classes are too easy. At the same time most people don't carry around guns
6.5) I never saw a single car pulled over for speeding or other traffic violation the entire time I was there! I guess its supposed to be a self-policing state? Drivers were ultra aggressive since they could be with no fear from cops! (Inland Miami)
Guess you never drove in many areas. Again not sure what inland Miami means. But usually this is not a bad thing. Officers, especially Miami-Dade Police and Miami Police have much more important things to take care of. NYPD is out there giving tickets all the time
7) The heat in the summer is almost as bad as NYC's cold in the winter. I basically had to run into A/C from Jun - Aug.
Ummm no really. Of course you have to run your A/C in the summer.
8) I never understood the dating rules there. I knew I had to be super-aggressive in order to keep up with the other guys. Even after I got dates, I was under the impression that I had to text her every 4 hours or else she would lose interest. Half the women I talked to seemed to be dating as a means for living. It seemed to be understood that men pay for everything and buy expensive gifts for women.
Meeting the wrong people.
9) Not much to do outside of the beach. Not many mountain hiking trails, no big broadway shows. Didn't seem to be bicycle friendly on the streets (Inland).
Wait there are no mountains in Miami? CRAZY TALK And no Broadway! Did you want NYC to move down with you? How about the Music festivals, the professional and college sports, art walks, art festivals, food festivals, the opera, the new world symphony, art museums, going snorkeling in a tropical coral reef, going to the everglades, bike rides in the everglades, going fishing, boating, going to Bahamas, Keys, Orlando...
10) Most of the transient people that I made friends with eventually moved away. I made some deep friendships there that hurt when those people moved away. Maybe that's the reason why locals keep their distance??

Overall, I didn't hate Miami, it just wasn't for me. I met a lot of cool people there that I still keep in touch with. Obviously, I would have done things differently if I did it again. I would live in Miami Beach somewhere. I would limit myself to talking to tourists or other transient people. The beaches are great!! I really miss that part. I'm sure a whole bunch of locals will refute everything I'm saying with this or that example, but hey, this is just my honest opinion. Part of me really does miss Miami.
You did not like it and made the right move to move out. I always say Miami is not for everyone. But I would not call you experience typical. And of course some people will refute this. Not saying it did not happen but maybe you could have done things differently. Missing the beaches is find, just come down for vacation sometime.

When you say inland Miami, where did you live? What neighborhood?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:54 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
I think if you had created a proper social support system for yourself, u would have liked Miami better.
It's no fun to feel isolated and not have many friends. It's lonely.

Perhaps moving back to NYC was the right decision for you.
Best of luck.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:26 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,286 times
sorry to hear about your experience here. Where did you live exactly?

Old 03-22-2014, 11:48 AM

119 posts, read 312,966 times
I bet he lived in Hialeah lol

Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM

696 posts, read 1,169,642 times
Yeah, Carol city would suck to live in , I could never see myself living there.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:12 PM

46 posts, read 113,695 times
Typical leftwing NYer who is scared of guns & was rejected by Miami girls..No problem. To each his own. U get your NYC with its frozen Hudson sewer & its taxes ,we get our Miami,with our Cubans,our guns & our girls......

Old 03-22-2014, 02:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
Typical leftwing NYer who is scared of guns & was rejected by Miami girls..No problem. To each his own. U get your NYC with its frozen Hudson sewer & its taxes ,we get our Miami,with our Cubans,our guns & our girls......
What's your big deal with the guns? I own a couple but I don't give them any more thought than I give my other tools such as screwdrivers, hammers and such. I guess I'm fortunate to live in a hammer friendly state, eh?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:00 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,898,505 times
The part that stands out the most to me is running the A/C from June to August. Don't you do that in most of the U.S.? I've only turned off the A/C for a handful of days. Running 24/7/360 ish days a year in my house. The OP got off easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami