Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM

932 posts, read 1,180,696 times

Advertisements

I've had that question asked many times; the most recent being today, when the (extremely attrative) new temp that started today asked me that question. The young lady in question is a native Bostonian, but has a friend whom she visits in Coconut Grove. "I'd be at the beach every day if I lived there" an "It must have been so cool to live in Miami", she said. I really didn't know what to say to that. We started chatting and she actually expressed an interest in moving to Miami. I didn't want to sound negative, so I told her to spend some serious time down there, but warned her about the job market.

Ok, so my point is that I see (more than ever) how people are lured to Miami, especially those of us from the northeast. Let's face it, the weather here is too much for many people to take. The notion of endles summer has a major appeal when you're shoveling snow, or like today, it's just been gloomy and rainy all day; a prelude to the chill that is most certainly "in the mail". So I understand the appeal of Miami, but I also see how people who aren't a good fit (like me) could get suckered in by the warmth, beaches and non-snow.

As for me, it's been a few months now and I'm over it; it's a chapter of my life that closed. Now I'm looking forward to my first winter in almost 7 years, as weir as that sounds. I am much happier for leaving, but I wish Miami all the best and now I can probably offer better and more balanced advice now that I no longer live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,963,652 times
That young lady would eventually realize that living in Miami as probably most cities the novelty wears off over time and the reality kicks in that you still have to deal with the everyday rudimentary going to work and dealing with horrendous traffic. Miami is a great city to visit as well as beautiful with weather to match albeit the summer months, however there are trade-offs from one city to another, there is no city that is perfect and when it comes down to it, home is where the heart is.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I've had that question asked many times; the most recent being today, when the (extremely attrative) new temp that started today asked me that question. The young lady in question is a native Bostonian, but has a friend whom she visits in Coconut Grove. "I'd be at the beach every day if I lived there" an "It must have been so cool to live in Miami", she said. I really didn't know what to say to that. We started chatting and she actually expressed an interest in moving to Miami. I didn't want to sound negative, so I told her to spend some serious time down there, but warned her about the job market.

Ok, so my point is that I see (more than ever) how people are lured to Miami, especially those of us from the northeast. Let's face it, the weather here is too much for many people to take. The notion of endles summer has a major appeal when you're shoveling snow, or like today, it's just been gloomy and rainy all day; a prelude to the chill that is most certainly "in the mail". So I understand the appeal of Miami, but I also see how people who aren't a good fit (like me) could get suckered in by the warmth, beaches and non-snow.

As for me, it's been a few months now and I'm over it; it's a chapter of my life that closed. Now I'm looking forward to my first winter in almost 7 years, as weir as that sounds. I am much happier for leaving, but I wish Miami all the best and now I can probably offer better and more balanced advice now that I no longer live there.
I can certainly see the appeal for metro Miami and for metro Boston. Both are great metros.

I'm also wondering that by April/May next year, when it's been seemingly six months of straight Winter, your feelings might wear off of being back in Boston? Personally, I absolutely love all the northern cities in May-October. It's the November-April that the mind longingly romanticizes other places.

I'd also imagine that an attractive women who finds herself engaging her dreams of being at the beach everyday, certainly taps into the man's mind of wishing he could be taking her to the beach. That possibility just becomes severely limited in a northern city.

I'm also wondering why you did leave Miami as well?

Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
That young lady would eventually realize that living in Miami as probably most cities the novelty wears off over time and the reality kicks in that you still have to deal with the everyday rudimentary going to work and dealing with horrendous traffic. Miami is a great city to visit as well as beautiful with weather to match albeit the summer months, however there are trade-offs from one city to another, there is no city that is perfect and when it comes down to it, home is where the heart is.
That's pretty much it. At the end of the day, you end up in a routine of going to/from work, wherever you live. Her notion of hitting the beach every day would not likely be a reality, unless her husband supported her financially to laze around on the beach all day and visit Bal Harbor. I lived in Miami for over 6 years and only went to the beach only a handful of times. One of the problems is that unless you actually live in Miami Beach, the beach isn't that easy to get to and it tends to get crowded with both tourists and locals.

I would never dissuade anyone from trying it out, but I would warn them of the pitfalls. Besides, if I'd had a nickel for each time someone asked me why I left, I'd be a rich man by now.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,927,652 times
I get asked that all the time! I think its usually out of just wanting to start conversation than anything else. I tell people its not what they think, its pretty much just like Cuba- crap jobs but the beach and nightlife is what I miss!

They usually laugh, but I don't think I would say that in an office.

I love living in Boston and studying here- its so much more rewarding than driving an hour to get to a subpar college, and to not even hear the lecture over a bunch of idiots behaving like class is some sort of contest to see who can talk over everyone else.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I can certainly see the appeal for metro Miami and for metro Boston. Both are great metros.

I'm also wondering that by April/May next year, when it's been seemingly six months of straight Winter, your feelings might wear off of being back in Boston? Personally, I absolutely love all the northern cities in May-October. It's the November-April that the mind longingly romanticizes other places.

I'd also imagine that an attractive women who finds herself engaging her dreams of being at the beach everyday, certainly taps into the man's mind of wishing he could be taking her to the beach. That possibility just becomes severely limited in a northern city.

I'm also wondering why you did leave Miami as well?
I left for various reasons, but predominantly because of divorce and because I just wasn't happy. Miami (or any city) can be very lonely if you feel like a square trying to fit into a triangular shape (or vice-versa). It may have been more tolerable if I'd had a good circle of friends around me there, but after the divorce, I literally threw all my s**t in a U-Haul and got the hell out of dodge, leaving many items of furniture behind in the process.

I'm not worried about the cold. It didn't affect me before and once I'm past the initial shock, it won't affect me this time. I didn't move to FL for the weather, after all.

I like it here a lot though. Of course nowhere is perfect, but I am enjoying what there is to offer here, in terms of quirky old towns, amazing national / state parks, beautiful coastline and of course, Boston itself, which is an incredible city.

I must admit, when the young lady mentioned going to the beach every day, I undressed her with my eyes and imagined her in a bikini.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I get asked that all the time! I think its usually out of just wanting to start conversation than anything else. I tell people its not what they think, its pretty much just like Cuba- crap jobs but the beach and nightlife is what I miss!

They usually laugh, but I don't think I would say that in an office.

I love living in Boston and studying here- its so much more rewarding than driving an hour to get to a subpar college, and to not even hear the lecture over a bunch of idiots behaving like class is some sort of contest to see who can talk over everyone else.
Speaking of colleges, I'm going to look into Salem State. One of my co-workers speaks very highly of it as he went to college there.

I love working here so far. The workplace is different; people are quiet, professional and non-cliquish. Unfortunately, I don't work in Boston itself; I work in Bedford, which is not reachable from here by train and takes anywhere from 45 minutes to almost an hour and a half, depending on traffic (which was awful tonight thanks to the nasty weather).

I have just found it so much easier to live and go about my business on a daily basis, without getting angry or stressed because 1,000 drivers cut me off.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,502,389 times
Quote:
Speaking of colleges, I'm going to look into Salem State. One of my co-workers speaks very highly of it as he went to college there.

I love working here so far. The workplace is different; people are quiet, professional and non-cliquish. Unfortunately, I don't work in Boston itself; I work in Bedford, which is not reachable from here by train and takes anywhere from 45 minutes to almost an hour and a half, depending on traffic (which was awful tonight thanks to the nasty weather).

I have just found it so much easier to live and go about my business on a daily basis, without getting angry or stressed because 1,000 drivers cut me off.
Funny, you and Pear are walking almost exactly in my shoes, having left Miami and gone to Boston. Like Tiger said, we'll have to see how charming you think Boston is by about April. There's nothing charming about 128 during a nor'easter.

I left Miami for pretty much the reasons everyone describes - I fit the standard mold. I was living in a rehearsal studio just off Lincoln Road with my musical associates. Too much friction in the band, not enough money, and eventually having had my share of the neverending lunacy of South Beach, I was sure the only way I was ever gonna get a life was to split the party and go do something rational.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 PM

433 posts, read 955,228 times
Quote:
I left for various reasons, but predominantly because of divorce and because I just wasn't happy. Miami (or any city) can be very lonely if you feel like a square trying to fit into a triangular shape (or vice-versa). It may have been more tolerable if I'd had a good circle of friends around me there, but after the divorce, I literally threw all my s**t in a U-Haul and got the hell out of dodge, leaving many items of furniture behind in the process.

I'm not worried about the cold. It didn't affect me before and once I'm past the initial shock, it won't affect me this time. I didn't move to FL for the weather, after all.

I like it here a lot though. Of course nowhere is perfect, but I am enjoying what there is to offer here, in terms of quirky old towns, amazing national / state parks, beautiful coastline and of course, Boston itself, which is an incredible city.

I must admit, when the young lady mentioned going to the beach every day, I undressed her with my eyes and imagined her in a bikini.
Rule #1 in the Miami party scene, do not get marry in Miami or to a Miami girl. The rate of divorces here in Miami is astonishing. Not to mention the traumatic experience of getting ripped of everything you fought for. When I was single I even had a script for hitting recently divorced women. Se la vie eh? LOL. Good luck in your new endeavors in MA.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Funny, you and Pear are walking almost exactly in my shoes, having left Miami and gone to Boston. Like Tiger said, we'll have to see how charming you think Boston is by about April. There's nothing charming about 128 during a nor'easter.

I left Miami for pretty much the reasons everyone describes - I fit the standard mold. I was living in a rehearsal studio just off Lincoln Road with my musical associates. Too much friction in the band, not enough money, and eventually having had my share of the neverending lunacy of South Beach, I was sure the only way I was ever gonna get a life was to split the party and go do something rational.
Dude 128 isn't fun anyway. You think traffic in Miami is bad? Volume wise, greater Bostoh is far worse, IMO. In Miami, you can often avoid traffic by leaving early enough or taking alternate routes. I can't really do that here as I don't know the "other" roads well enough and most of them are just 1 lane either side.

But, the cold...from PA originally, so no stranger to it. Besides, I'd rather be happy in a city for 7-8 months of the year than miserable for 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami