Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Why would I or anyone care what Jack Fisher says? Is there some reason this is a topic? I feel that I have come across a thread like this before.

The fact is that Miami lays in a tropical CLIMATE area by definition, and fact is Miami does not lay in the Tropical ZONE by definition, no matter what Jack Fisher states. If he disagrees, then he should take the case to his fellow PhD's and have a debate about the definition of a tropical climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Why are people having an issue with this thread now? The OP stated a fact and now people are trying to make it seem like he is mistaken. Miami is infact subtropical.

To the average person, Miami seems tropical, yet technically, it is not. Why is this controversial or an attack on Miami by a hater? Some of you need to get a grip.

I think some clear evidence to support the OP is this (besides lattitude): Miami has several days in the winter where highs, with sunshine, are in the 60s and lows are in the 40s. This is not common in coastal regions, at sea level, below the tropic of cancer, yet it is an annual ocurrence here. We also have annual frosts in the outlying areas. Purely tropical vegetation will not grow here (think Bread Fruit). It has snowed here. There are record lows below freezing scattered about from December through February. There have been some days in the winter over the years with highs in the 50s even!! That hasn't happened in nearby Havana or Cancun, which have similar climates but are on the other side of the Tropic of Cancer. Obviously, their more southern lattitude couple with the large bodies of water to the north help temper their climate. 10 degrees warmer in the winter literally doesn make a difference when you debate the subtlties of an issuue like this, and many times, these same cities are about 10 degrees warmer during the same cold snaps the Miami goes through.

Likewise, Bermuda, which is due east of South Carolina, has a climate that never gets as cold as Miami...despite being farther north. It is not tropical either.

Subtropics just means "transition" zone. We have some things from the north, but the majoirty come from the tropics. That's all. It isn't a good or bad thing or a diss at Miami. Obviously the OP is just very passionate about geography and climate zones and is trying to make a valid point. If it seems irrelevant to you, why even read or comment on the thread?
Look at the subtropical zone map and you will not see Miami on it. Subtropical is climate description, unlike tropical zone which is a geographic description. Miami lays in the tropical climate area which is defined as an area which a mean temp of 64 degrees F. Miami does not lay in the tropical zone which is the area between the tropic of Cancer and the tropic of Capricorn.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
Jack Fisher says Miami is NOT tropical. Only a transitional semi tropical zone with HEAVY temperate zone vegetation and influences.
Oh, so now your saying semi-tropical? I think I can live with that. Again no one is saying Miami is Puerto Rico but it has a tropical climate.

Quote:
Why are people having an issue with this thread now? The OP stated a fact and now people are trying to make it seem like he is mistaken. Miami is infact subtropical.

To the average person, Miami seems tropical, yet technically, it is not. Why is this controversial or an attack on Miami by a hater? Some of you need to get a grip.

I think some clear evidence to support the OP is this (besides lattitude): Miami has several days in the winter where highs, with sunshine, are in the 60s and lows are in the 40s. This is not common in coastal regions, at sea level, below the tropic of cancer, yet it is an annual ocurrence here. We also have annual frosts in the outlying areas. Purely tropical vegetation will not grow here (think Bread Fruit). It has snowed here. There are record lows below freezing scattered about from December through February. There have been some days in the winter over the years with highs in the 50s even!! That hasn't happened in nearby Havana or Cancun, which have similar climates but are on the other side of the Tropic of Cancer. Obviously, their more southern lattitude couple with the large bodies of water to the north help temper their climate. 10 degrees warmer in the winter literally doesn make a difference when you debate the subtlties of an issuue like this, and many times, these same cities are about 10 degrees warmer during the same cold snaps the Miami goes through.

Likewise, Bermuda, which is due east of South Carolina, has a climate that never gets as cold as Miami...despite being farther north. It is not tropical either.

Subtropics just means "transition" zone. We have some things from the north, but the majoirty come from the tropics. That's all. It isn't a good or bad thing or a diss at Miami. Obviously the OP is just very passionate about geography and climate zones and is trying to make a valid point. If it seems irrelevant to you, why even read or comment on the thread?
The thing is look how large the subtropical zone is. Look at the huge difference in temps between Miami and Tampa or Miami and JAX. I have done the math myself many times, I have searched all over the net. Every climate map I ever looked at during my 4 years of studying geography in college show that Miami is a tropical climate. The numbers work, it is a tropical climate that is a simple fact. But I can live with transition zone because that is what it is basically is since just a bit north is Subtropical. But that is not a climate classfication. So for the ease of naming climates Miami is tropical.
Map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...p_Af_Am_Aw.png click it to see a world map of tropical climate areas.
US MAP: http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4...mapusa2yv3.png

Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
This is coming from the discussion on the city vs. city forum, as this is a way for this particular user to stick it in Miami's face.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l-us-city.html
Here are a couple of his statements:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/21036179-post81.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reput...php?p=21016871

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reput...php?p=20999458

Last edited by perry335654; 09-26-2011 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why would I or anyone care what Jack Fisher says? Is there some reason this is a topic? I feel that I have come across a thread like this before.
You probably feel you have come across a thread like this before because the OP has 185 posts and I don't think you will find one that does not include the word tropics or tropical.
It is his life's quest to make sure Miami is not called tropical.
sorry, guys, miami si not the tropics- only a transitional zone - Florida Gardening Forum - GardenWeb

Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 PM

525 posts, read 761,250 times
Quote:

AWESOME post and 100 % accurate.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
AWESOME post and 100 % accurate.
You finally found someone to buddy up with for I think the first time.
At least his post was respectful and had some facts to back up what he wanted to say.

Anyway Miami is still a tropical climate.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Lived in Miami when growing up. I always heard it was considered sub-tropical. Never even heard it was up for debate, but that was years ago.

RE: the map posted above, according to this, Tampa and West Palm are in the same climate zone as DC and Delaware! Hmmmmm!

Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Lived in Miami when growing up. I always heard it was considered sub-tropical. Never even heard it was up for debate, but that was years ago.

RE: the map posted above, according to this, Tampa and West Palm are in the same climate zone as DC and Delaware! Hmmmmm!
They are. That map is based on the most used climate classfication system. It is based on temperature and precipitation. The less extreme the climate the larger room for differences.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 PM

380 posts, read 961,807 times
People from Connecticut could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami