Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Kay? Know Comprayndoe.

No Grande Mac for u.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Porkay?

Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Don't forget there are a lot of business parks in Doral and the Blue Lagoon area and Coral Gables I believe is where Burger King Headquarters is located. The leasing per square footage in business parks might be cheaper than downtown.
I worked at the burgerking headquarters when I first moved here. the people who run the burgerking food section of the food court within the building are even rude. lol. you totally wouldn't expect that. at least they make the food accurately.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
No Grande Mac for u.
Went to a Pollo Tropical yesterday and was seemingly the only gringo in there. The customers in front of me all ordered in Spanish, so when I come up and start ordering in English I could tell the woman behind the counter grimaced as she had to switch to English. It's the small victories that count.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Went to a Pollo Tropical yesterday and was seemingly the only gringo in there. The customers in front of me all ordered in Spanish, so when I come up and start ordering in English I could tell the woman behind the counter grimaced as she had to switch to English. It's the small victories that count.
How is that a victory? Poor woman. Do you have any idea how hard that must have been for her?

Haha, all joking aside, even if she's not comfortable with English, that is completely the wrong attitude. She gets paid to talk to people, for god's sake.

Was this is Hialeah by any chance?

Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
I get the same thing down the street all the time in homestead. almost used to it.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:21 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
Here's a little tip. Be a professional and Miami will be the goose that laid the golden egg. My son is doing very well in Miami.

He was "good" in Dallas, but treated like a GOD here. He could start his own religious cult just because he's friendly, knows the product, get's with the program and solves the customers problems without an attitude.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I get the same thing down the street all the time in homestead. almost used to it.
Yeah and you know what cix? People say they are this way because they are underpaid. I see this as ungrateful they have a job at all.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:28 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is not lacking in Miami, nor is it London. Miami is not a large city, so i do not know what you expect from the place. It cannot be compared to NYC, London, or Tokyo; those cities are major hubs in the world, and the world as of now can only support so many.

Now for your "middle class, white collar workers", there is not a clear cut definition. A small business owner can be classified as that, so can a retail person, so can many people. The classification is more political than anything, just like when people like to classify who is "rich".

You not knowing anyone does not mean it does not exist, I do not know a single farm worker or picker, that does not mean they do not exist.
There are probably a good amount of middle-class in Hialeah, but most would be blue-collar workers.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Jmlacysr, yes, I agree, they are ungrateful that they have a job. I did not choose their job so they can cram their little attitudes up their behinds.

I have gone to managers a few times and I have spoken to corporate and it does work.

The following are places I hate going as it is no matter where in the US but sometimes, whether it's convenience, (driving), or price or because you are with someone else, you go.

First: McDs. IF I go there it's typically through the drive thru. But, I was there to order lunch for everyone so I went inside to ensure the order was correct. I get to the counter and said, "Hi! How are you?" like I do with anyone. No response. A few moments of silence while the cashier merely stared at me. There was no, "Hello", no "Welcome to McDonald's", no "I'm great, how are you? May I take your order?" She didn't even try to speak to me in Spanish. She just stood at her register and stared at me.

I gave the order and while I was waiting, I noticed the manager was helping the lady at the drive thru with the drinks. I asked if he was the manager to which he confirmed he was. When he had a minute, I discussed with him how a simple, "Hello", "welcome" or even "how are you, may I take your order" can completely and entirely change a customer's experience over stony silence. I told him that the cashier was not exactly friendly and McDonald's, corporate, likes to pride itself on its friendliness.

I went in about two months later...girl was still there, that's fine, she doesn't need to lose her job but she definitely said hi to me that time.

Wally World. Christmas shopping a few years ago. I don't speak Spanish. The guy I was seeing at the time, does. We were looking at shirts for his dad. Wally World employee was there stocking shelves. She kept muttering under her breath in Spanish.

We get the shirts, go towards check out and that was when I was informed by the guy what the lady was saying. She was angry that we were looking through the shirts. We didn't make a mess. We put things back exactly where we found them. I've worked in retail before, I KNOW what it's like when you get everything put up and someone comes in 5 seconds later and destroys what you just did. I GET THAT! I don't do that because I DO get it. She was just mad we were there, "in her way", as I was told.

He didn't want to tell me earlier because he knew that I would not stand for it. Didn't matter if it was after we left the department, I still won't stand for it. I made a point to speak to a manager about her. I was informed that this lady had already received THREE complaints about her THAT day alone because of her attitude. I haven't been back in there to see if she still works there but I'm thinking she probably doesn't because the manager was clearly over it.

Finally, K-Mart. Had to get some cheap shoes. For those who say those in corporate don't care, you are wrong. I was looking at shoes and the men's clothing department is right next to the shoes.

Earlier I had asked a lady who was stocking the shoes if they had a certain pair in my size. She didn't even look, she just said, "No", rudely and turned her back on me.

No. You. Did. Not.

I continued looking through shoes while I eavesdropped on corporate going over the layout in the men's clothing department with the store managers and some of the employees. The clothing they had on the mannequins didn't match what was on display on the table, etc, etc. Basically, corporate was reading these people the riot act. They kept coming up with excuse after excuse as to why they did things, (it all came down to laziness and apathy), and corporate ripped them apart for it. She didn't yell at them but she sure put them in their place.

I enjoyed it immensely.

I decided that was a perfect opportunity to go over and submit my complaint about the crap customer service I had just received.

Wouldn't you know, they DID have that certain pair of shoes in my size. Isn't that AMAZING?!

Oh, and for the record, when I first came here, I was looking forward to brushing up on my Spanish from high school. I was open to learning it and speaking it.

But within 6 months I vowed never to make the effort again since I got so much attitude for speaking English. At first it hurt my feelings. I wasn't used to such rudeness and arrogance.

Now? Now I enjoy watching them squirm because I know, most of them DO speak English, they just don't want to. Tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami