Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Ok, so there are banks. With a few exceptions, usually of the tellers of any bank I've gone to are wearing casual clothes, talking to co-workers, etc. I have been to banks where the tellers are talking on the phone in the drive-through thingys. Very professional. Ok, so Miami has a lot of international banks. That says nothing about professionalism, just about the number of banks.

You think banks are just tellers? They employ many people who manage billions of dollars worth of wealth for companies and people from all over the world. I would venture to say you have never walked into one of these banks and as so much even spoken to a trust manager.

I am not sure what you want to mean by “corporate culture” or “professionalism”, corporate culture is not customer service. Unless you seen stuff on TV and think places should be this way, I do not know.

I would venture into more corporate culture besides banks, but do not feel the need to go on about other dynamic areas of business in Miami, corporate culture does not always exist in a tall building downtown.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 AM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Yes this true, you're right. Still, my own personal experience is with tellers so I don't really want to talk about something else I am not familiar with. As for corporate culture, I didn't say it was nonexistent in Miami. I said that it was lacking in Miami, compared to other places. It could just be my own personal experience, I really don't venture into Brickell that often, maybe once or a twice a month, but I do not know a single person who has these kinds of jobs. Everyone I know is either an investor, small business owner, or works for retail/food service. I'm sure corporate culture exists in Miami, as you just pointed out, it could just be my lack of experience with it, but it is not as visible as it would be in other cities. Not that this is a bad thing, I actually don't really care. I just find it interesting that the "traditional" middle class of white-collar workers is very small in Miami, or perhaps not very visible, compared to other cities.

Sorry if I come off as ignorant or uninformed about the subject. In a way, I am. That is why I made this thread in the first place. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Some day they will be using robots at a place like McDonald's, I mean hey they use them to weld cars at a GM plant as they do it with repetitive precision and they don't talk back.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 AM

The purpose of a business is to make money, it serves no other purpose in this world besides that.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yes this true, you're right. Still, my own personal experience is with tellers so I don't really want to talk about something else I am not familiar with. As for corporate culture, I didn't say it was nonexistent in Miami. I said that it was lacking in Miami, compared to other places. It could just be my own personal experience, I really don't venture into Brickell that often, maybe once or a twice a month, but I do not know a single person who has these kinds of jobs. Everyone I know is either an investor, small business owner, or works for retail/food service. I'm sure corporate culture exists in Miami, as you just pointed out, it could just be my lack of experience with it, but it is not as visible as it would be in other cities. Not that this is a bad thing, I actually don't really care. I just find it interesting that the "traditional" middle class of white-collar workers is very small in Miami, or perhaps not very visible, compared to other cities.

Sorry if I come off as ignorant or uninformed about the subject. In a way, I am. That is why I made this thread in the first place. Thanks for your input.
What other places are we talking about ?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I was just killing some time on that store waiting for my sisters to call me, it couldn't have been more than 10 minutes when the FYE lady came to me:

-How can I help you?

me- Oh no thanks, I don't need help

- If you are not buying anything, please get out. (It got me by surprise, so I didn't know how to react - was I at fault for doing something as normal as checking out what they have in store??)

me-I'm just looking around to see what I'm going to buy

- Do you have money?

me-Not right now

-Then you are not going to buy anything

me- I'm here to see what you have in store [she stops me short]

- what are you looking for

me- I dON'T REMEMBER what I said but it had to be an album from an unknown band

- We don't have that here (she didn't even care look in her computer)

me- I spotted a Wilco album from afar: what about Wilco's Yankee HOtel?

- No we don't have that here either (THAT DUMBASS WASN'T EVEN LOOKING OR WANTING TO HELP ME OUT AND THE ALBUM WAS THERE)

- now, get out.
She wanted to kick you out? Unbelievable as I wouldn't take that garbage I don't care who it was. If it was me I would tell that "B" that "I WILL CALL THE POLICE ON YOU FOR CUSTOMER HARASSMENT!" or if anything else go Jersey.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
What other places are we talking about ?
NY, Chicago, ATL, Houston

Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

It is not lacking in Miami, nor is it London. Miami is not a large city, so i do not know what you expect from the place. It cannot be compared to NYC, London, or Tokyo; those cities are major hubs in the world, and the world as of now can only support so many.

Now for your "middle class, white collar workers", there is not a clear cut definition. A small business owner can be classified as that, so can a retail person, so can many people. The classification is more political than anything, just like when people like to classify who is "rich".

You not knowing anyone does not mean it does not exist, I do not know a single farm worker or picker, that does not mean they do not exist.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Sometimes what can happen in corporations is that Top Management sits in their ivory towers thinking what is best for the company and not relegating or going to the ground floor of the operations to get any type of feedback from a personal perspective. In other words there is no vertical interaction or communication within the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami