Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Some day they will be using robots at a place like McDonald's,
Yep, but you'd still have to press 1 to have the robot speak English.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM

769 posts, read 1,731,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
LOL! I just envisioned this. I could really that happening in Miami

Old 04-04-2011, 08:48 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
Actually, I'm about to say something nice about this place for a change.

In the higher end establishments there is professional service and on par with other US cities. The problem is, unless you frequent those places, you would never know it.

I guess that wasn't "that" nice

Old 04-04-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is not lacking in Miami, nor is it London. Miami is not a large city, so i do not know what you expect from the place. It cannot be compared to NYC, London, or Tokyo; those cities are major hubs in the world, and the world as of now can only support so many.

Now for your "middle class, white collar workers", there is not a clear cut definition. A small business owner can be classified as that, so can a retail person, so can many people. The classification is more political than anything, just like when people like to classify who is "rich".

You not knowing anyone does not mean it does not exist, I do not know a single farm worker or picker, that does not mean they do not exist.
I am not denying that it exists. I am saying that the corporate culture that you find else is not as visible in Miami. Yes, these people exist. But they do not hold the same level of professionalism as in other parts of the country/world. Like someone said above about the store owners being rude, this is exactly what I mean. Would you consider these people professional? Sure, they can be classified as anything, but you just don't get that corporate/business-y feeling in Miami that you do in many other cities, you already named a few. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, I actually kinda like it better this way.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm about to say something nice about this place for a change.

In the higher end establishments there is professional service and on par with other US cities. The problem is, unless you frequent those places, you would never know it.

I guess that wasn't "that" nice
I guess this was what I was trying to say, I just couldn't sum it up like that. It exists, it's just not as visible as it should be, or rather could be. Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? It seems that the most professional this city gets is working at McDonald's. There's really little to no corporate culture, as in a large number of the population that is white collar, middle class, commute downtown, etc. like you would expect of pretty much any other city in the country. There are only like 3 actual office buildings downtown, the other 100 are condos... Just an observation.
Don't forget there are a lot of business parks in Doral and the Blue Lagoon area and Coral Gables I believe is where Burger King Headquarters is located. The leasing per square footage in business parks might be cheaper than downtown.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
I am not denying that it exists. I am saying that the corporate culture that you find else is not as visible in Miami. Yes, these people exist. But they do not hold the same level of professionalism as in other parts of the country/world. Like someone said above about the store owners being rude, this is exactly what I mean. Would you consider these people professional? Sure, they can be classified as anything, but you just don't get that corporate/business-y feeling in Miami that you do in many other cities, you already named a few. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, I actually kinda like it better this way.
I think you would have to be a world traveler to experience people's demeanor or professional ethics and then you might find it to be the same all over.

Last edited by perry335654; 04-04-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Mi no speaka Ingish less youa pressa numero uno senor.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Mi no speaka Ingish less youa pressa numero uno senor.
Kay? Know Comprayndoe.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Is that Comprende or Compadre?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami