Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 12,172 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this forum for a while and I'm finding myself appauled by a few of the Moderator cut: insults are not nessesary to say your point type posters who seem to be hell-bent on driving people away from this great city. If you hate living in such a great place so much and you're too dumb to get out there and live life, please do us all a favor and leave. For every whiner, there are 10 successful and ambitious people ready to move in and take your place....people with real purchasing power, motivation and drive. I am a realtor and it is my task to sell this city, so I am disgusted to read the drivel posted here by those of you earning under $10 an hour that simply cannot afford the luxury of living in such a 'happening' place. Whine, whine,, whine, complain, whine, whine, cry, complain....you people are like a stuck record! Accept that most of us here are successful, while you rot in your efficiencies.

So how 'bout y'all pack up, rent a U-Haul and head for Ocala, just 200 miles up the Turnpike?

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen (because the master chef is in the house!).

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-11-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,960,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
I've been reading this forum for a while and I'm finding myself appauled by a few of the Moderator cut: cut type posters who seem to be hell-bent on driving people away from this great city. If you hate living in such a great place so much and you're too dumb to get out there and live life, please do us all a favor and leave. For every whiner, there are 10 successful and ambitious people ready to move in and take your place....people with real purchasing power, motivation and drive. I am a realtor and it is my task to sell this city, so I am disgusted to read the drivel posted here by those of you earning under $10 an hour that simply cannot afford the luxury of living in such a 'happening' place. Whine, whine,, whine, complain, whine, whine, cry, complain....you people are like a stuck record! Accept that most of us here are successful, while you rot in your efficiencies.

So how 'bout y'all pack up, rent a U-Haul and head for Ocala, just 200 miles up the Turnpike?

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen (because the master chef is in the house!).
Look, I enjoy living in South Florida, but making a statement like that is absurd. There are a lot of problems here, and I agree the constant whining gets old, but what we really needs on these forums are people who exposes BOTH sides of South Florida; the good and the bad. Miami has a lot of economic issues, crime, tensions, and a major linguistic barrier that makes life for the average joe (who does not exist in Miami) a living hell. Broward is a lot better, but there are still problems here, and we still share the same crappy economy matched with the high cost of living. People are making 10 dollars an hour here because the job market is WEAK, and there is no denying that. I think South Florida (particularly Broward and a lot of Palm Beach County)would be among the best America has to offer after some price corrections (or some major diversification in its economy). I honestly am VERY satisfied with my area with great schools, next-to-no crime (yet diverse populace), quietness, tropical feel, low levels of traffic congestion, and (for the most part) down to earth people. What shames me is that the prices are totally out of whack for the average person to make it to a wonderful place like my area, which in my opinion, can offer among the best quality of life in the United States. Price correction (or economic diversification to attract more educated professionals), and improvement of some of the public schools would make South Florida great for ANYONE.

Last edited by mbmouse; 07-11-2007 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Look, I enjoy living in South Florida, but making a statement like that is absurd. There are a lot of problems here, and I agree the constant whining gets old, but what we really needs on these forums are people who exposes BOTH sides of South Florida; the good and the bad. Miami has a lot of economic issues, crime, tensions, and a major linguistic barrier that makes life for the average joe (who does not exist in Miami) a living hell. Broward is a lot better, but there are still problems here, and we still share the same crappy economy matched with the high cost of living. People are making 10 dollars an hour here because the job market is WEAK, and there is no denying that. I think South Florida (particularly Broward and a lot of Palm Beach County)would be among the best America has to offer after some price corrections (or some major diversification in its economy). I honestly am VERY satisfied with my area with great schools, next-to-no crime (yet diverse populace), quietness, tropical feel, low levels of traffic congestion, and (for the most part) down to earth people. What shames me is that the prices are totally out of whack for the average person to make it to a wonderful place like my area, which in my opinion, can offer among the best quality of life in the United States. Price correction would make South Florida great for ANYONE.
People here make $10 an hour because they're too lazy to get up off their butts and do something with their lives, plain and simple! Anyone can go out there and get a college education, if they're driven and motivated enough. The problem is that people would rather sit on their backsides and complain all day about how poooooooooooooor they are and how expensive it is to live here. Remember:

You live in Miami, Miami = Prime real estate

(do the math)

When the old wood here has rotted away for good, it will be replaced by beautiful new saplings, a.k.a. the nouveau rich, willing to sustain this wonderful jewel of a city.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,365,643 times
Hello Roark, welcome to the forum. Please understand this is a moderated forum and everyone has a right to their opinion, but I find it hard to believe that a well educated, successful person such as yourself would use such rude verbiage to explain your point of view of Miami. Please keep it polite on this forum, thank you.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hello Roark, welcome to the forum. Please understand this is a moderated forum and everyone has a right to their opinion, but I find it hard to believe that a well educated, successful person such as yourself would use such rude verbiage to explain your point of view of Miami. Please keep it polite on this forum, thank you.
Sorry! It's good to see that the moderator is doing his/her job!

Keep up the good work!

Old 07-11-2007, 09:36 PM

44 posts, read 219,284 times
Roark -

While I'm one of the people on this forum that actually quite enjoys living in Miami, I must disagree with some of your remarks. I don't think the argument is that anyone could get a college education if they tried, but that even with a bacherlor's degree, jobs down here don't pay what you need to even own your own house.

As a realtor, I'm sure you can understand how people making $40,000/yr would encounter difficulties when looking to buy a place in a decent area anywhere down here in South Florida. Even $40,000 is a little high for recent college grads since a lot of times people make about $35,000 or so.

Again, I truely enjoy living in Miami but cannot pretend to be blind to the issues the city faces. What would probably qualify as middle class in most other places in the U.S. would probably mean you struggle to make ends meet here b/c the cost of living is very high.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at7815 View Post
Roark -

While I'm one of the people on this forum that actually quite enjoys living in Miami, I must disagree with some of your remarks. I don't think the argument is that anyone could get a college education if they tried, but that even with a bacherlor's degree, jobs down here don't pay what you need to even own your own house.

As a realtor, I'm sure you can understand how people making $40,000/yr would encounter difficulties when looking to buy a place in a decent area anywhere down here in South Florida. Even $40,000 is a little high for recent college grads since a lot of times people make about $35,000 or so.

Again, I truely enjoy living in Miami but cannot pretend to be blind to the issues the city faces. What would probably qualify as middle class in most other places in the U.S. would probably mean you struggle to make ends meet here b/c the cost of living is very high.

Oh and welcome to the forum
If everyone could get a college education, a bachelors degree would just be the new HS diploma.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
If everyone could get a college education, a bachelors degree would just be the new HS diploma.
IMHO, it's getting close to that. I think that if you only get a bachelors' degree, your earning potential is quite limited. I really don't think that it's all that hard to go to college if you're determined and willing to do it.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by at7815 View Post
IMHO, it's getting close to that. I think that if you only get a bachelors' degree, your earning potential is quite limited. I really don't think that it's all that hard to go to college if you're determined and willing to do it.
People who earn advanced degrees tend to be more successful in South Florida nowadays, just like anywhere else.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-11-2007 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: seemed too cold without at least a smiley in there

Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
People who earn advanced degrees tend to be more successful in South Florida nowadays, just like anywhere else.
I fully agree. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami