Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 46,375 times

Advertisements

I need some help. We are looking at Howard County vs AA county for a move. I'm leaning a bit more towards Howard for diversity reasons but need to look at the school quality as well. Have heard that HC schools are excellent but I need subjective feedback from people about the schools. Do Howard County schools simply teach to the test (MSA) or do they provide a lot of enrichment outside of the test arena? How are they with creative, out of the box type teaching? How is their Gifted and Talented program?

Same questions about Anne Arundel. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,272 times
anne arundel county schools are terrible. They can be compared to baltimore city just about or prince georges county. Its mainly because many kids from other districts such as pg and baltimore are transfering to aacps. Anne arundel schools have an overcrowding problem also. the average class size for anne arundel is about 42 kids. Howard county is a much better option as they are the second best school district in maryland behind montgomery county. Look at montgomery county too. They are the top school district in the state.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 PM

503 posts, read 806,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
anne arundel county schools are terrible. They can be compared to baltimore city just about or prince georges county. Its mainly because many kids from other districts such as pg and baltimore are transfering to aacps. Anne arundel schools have an overcrowding problem also. the average class size for anne arundel is about 42 kids. Howard county is a much better option as they are the second best school district in maryland behind montgomery county. Look at montgomery county too. They are the top school district in the state.
You are out of your mind if you think Anne Arundel's schools are anywhere the disaster that PG or Baltimore City's are.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:46 PM

13 posts, read 28,559 times
I am also interested to know how schools function in these areas.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
All I can tell you is that I know two of the parents in our Howard County school actually work in AA schools. I have the impression that with AA you have to pick your school district more carefully. In Howard County all schools teach to the same curriculum.

However, I don't know that any public school these days is "creative and out-of-the-box." There is more to HoCo than just teaching to the test, but they are held to the same standards as all Maryland Public Schools and do have to administer all the tests. The G/T program is good; they do "curriculum extension units" in the lower grades and start G/T math in 4th grade.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:49 AM

166 posts, read 352,735 times
Quote:
Back up that statement....you can't. There are excellent and not so good schools in both HC and AA. These counties are very large and you cannot say ALL schools within a county are the same. There are schools in each county I would not send my children to. Severna Park has some of the best schools in the state and they are located in AA.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:16 AM

490 posts, read 924,086 times
Quote:

I diagree with your claim that Anne Arundel school are horrible.....There SOOO Much better than Baltimore City and PG schools

GreatSchools.org Search: anne arundel county

Last edited by MrMaryland455; 01-26-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I think what the OP will find is that, in general, Howard County's schools are more consistent across the system compared to Anne Arundel which has some problematic school clusters.

All school systems have to follow a Voluntary State Curriculum (the named changed and it's not voluntary) in the core and HSA classes. So, in theory, Alg I is the same in every County, for example. It's not for local reasons, but that's the theory.

Also, all MD school systems are implementing Common Core and FfT.

Enrichment activities are part of the VSC for TAG/Honors classes.

MD education is a very "top down" system compared to many states.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:03 AM

166 posts, read 352,735 times
As far as "out of the box" teaching....that will be more teacher specific. You won't find an entire school system that does or does not do that. Experiences vary greatly from school to school and teacher to teacher.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM

103 posts, read 286,596 times
Well it depends. I think both counties are just as good. Of course, Howard County is known for good schools, but most counties in Maryland are. I went to Howard Schools until my sophomore year of high school (Howard High School Columbia, MD), then I moved to a high school in Anne Arundel County (North County High School Glen Burnie, MD). I am raising my family in Crofton, MD (Anne Arundel County). Crofton is in the district for two Anne Arundel Schools which are among the best schools in the county and the state (Arundel High and South River High). There are some bad schools in both counties. I honestly like Anne Arundel County better because there is a lot of water everywhere. There are some really good high schools in Anne Arundel County which are among the best in the state. They are Severna Park High, Arundel High, Broadneck High, and South River High. You can't go wrong with picking either of those 4 schools. Chesapeake High School in Pasadena also looks really good now, and its area is a lot more affordable to live in than the other 4 I mentioned. What I like about Howard County is that its very diverse compared to Anne Arundel County. You can find people of a lot of races in Howard County schools. The Howard County schools that are really good are River Hill High, Gleneg (I think that's how you spell it), Howard, Centennial, Atholton, and Marriotts Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland