Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:43 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyTevis View Post
Thank you^. For once, someone who does not see Meade as dangerous and see's the advantage of that school. I don't think those schools are ghetto, I meant that they're the lower performing schools of Howard County. There are indeed some rough schools in Howard County. They're just sugar coated because they're i n Howard County. Ask anyone in Howard County, there are a few lower performing schools there. It's not 100% amazing over there. Some of their schools perform even worse than Anne Arundel's average schools. A colleague of mine I recently talked to told me that Long Reach isn't the nicest school out there, and neither is Wilde Lake. But again, IMO, none of these schools are bad for your kids to go to. If your child wants to learn, is is like the ordinary high school student, and gets influenced by the right crowd, they should be fine at any Anne Arundel or Howard school. Like I said, none of these schools are below average middle classed families. It's just the rich snob clusters who look at the "bad" school clusters as "less fortunate" even though they're fine.
The lowest score for HoCo's on Great Schools (which is completely biased) is a 7. Where Anne Arundel's is a 3 I believe.

Hanover Laurel, and Odenton has middle to upper middle class communities that attend Meade....not to mention that one little part of Severn where its rough (Pioneer City or something) attend Meade but is viewed as "ghetto"... where as Glen Burnie is kind of a working class/ lower middle class city and Glen Burnie High is considered is well...rough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 PM

103 posts, read 286,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
The lowest score for HoCo's on Great Schools (which is completely biased) is a 7. Where Anne Arundel's is a 3 I believe.

Hanover Laurel, and Odenton has middle to upper middle class communities that attend Meade....not to mention that one little part of Severn where its rough (Pioneer City or something) attend Meade but is viewed as "ghetto"... where as Glen Burnie is kind of a working class/ lower middle class city and Glen Burnie High is considered is well...rough...
Yeah, it's Pioneer City. And you're exactly right. I also think Meade is a nice, beautiful high school. The students there work really hard and the student body is very diverse. That school has came a long way from what it once was and it's continuing to get better. And yeah, most of the areas in the Meade district are nice, and the elementary schools outside of that Pioneer City area perform super high. The AP enrollment at Meade is actually very strong and the kids that go there have a lot of advantages compared to a lot of the other schools in the county and even in all of Maryland. Too bad the general public doesn't see it that way. Meade has a reputation it does not deserve.

The rankings on great scores is not biased because the orange circle rating at the top is greatschools personal rating based on academics and test scores which is why it says "Greatschools rating." The one with the stars is the community rating. Those are the biased ones. Also, Howard's lowest school is a 6, and Anne Arundel's is a 4. So really, there is only a two rating difference. North County High School is also a 6 on greatschools just like Hammond and Wilde Lake High Schools. North County actually has HIGHER test scores than BOTH high schools for the most part as you can see here: http://www.greatschools.org/school-c...26distance%3D5

Why are they considered better schools than North County by the general public? Why is Hammond a good school to everyone and why is North County not? because Hammond and Wilde Lake are sugar coated Howard County schools. I'm sorry you guys fail to see my point. I never said Hammond was a bad school in general, just to the folks in Howard County because it is one of the lower performing schools. The fact that I had "nap time" at Howard High is ridiculous and shows that Howard Schools are just sugar coated and baby their students. Like I said, all the schools in both systems are okay and nothing lower than middle classed families. Glen Burnie is a fine school. It's a rated a 5 on greatschools. That means it's your average public school. It's just that Maryland is super rich and snobby, so our average schools are considered "ghetto." I'm pretty sure that if a kid gets sent to Glen Burnie Senior High School and wants to learn, and gets influenced by the right crowd, they will do amazing. On the other hand, if that kid gets sent to Severna Park Senior High School and doesn't want to learn and is a trouble maker, they will perform low anyways. The problem is that most people see the high ranked schools such as Severna Park, Arundel, and Broadneck as life savers for their kids even though they're really not. No school is a life saver unless your child tries. If your child wants to learn, hangs out with the right crowd, and doesn't get in trouble, they should be fine at any high school in Anne Arundel County honestly, and they can easily find many other students like them as Anne Arundel schools are nothing lower than average middle classed families. Like I said, so many people have graduated from every Anne Arundel school and went of to great universities and it didn't require them going to some rich snob school in either of the counties. It's not like any of the Anne Arundel schools aren't dangerous like some of the schools in PG County. So in reality, both school systems are just fine all of their schools are fine and nothing below average. It's just that Marylanders can be super stuck up sometimes and look down and anything that isn't the best of the best. Gosh, I have to say, saying "sugar coated" that much makes me want to eat something sweet now, haha.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 279 times
I taught in three different high schools in Howard County over the past 9 years and recently decided to take a job teaching in Anne Arundel County also at the High School level. Granted, I have only stepped foot inside the high school that I currently work at in Anne Arundel County so my comparison of the two counties is somewhat biased (keep that in mind). I want to go back to Howard County and plan to reapply for the next school year. The administration and resources at my high school in Anne Arundel County is stretched so thin, I am surprised they have any staff at all. Their are fights that break out daily and I have had students tell me to F-off. I have never had a student say anything like that any any of the Howard County Highschool (one listed above as a bad school, which is a joke). The school I am at right now had more fights, last week alone, than any of my Howard County High Schools had in an entire year when I worked there. The one thing Anne Arundel County Public School has over Howard in the incredible medical benefits. I pay $30 a month for premium medical insurance. I have dental insurance that covers implants, and ever since they increased teacher wages they pay about the same. I will say that HCPSS does not currently hire teachers who do not have their certification with MD State Board of Education and Anne Arundel County does hire teachers on a provisional certification. If you want your students/children to be taught by someone with an education in education and not by someone with only a bachelors degree Anne Arundel to be. I would guess the high school I am at right now has 35-45% of its teaching staff that only have a provisional teaching certificate and are within there first few years of teaching. For what it is worth...........

Old 01-04-2024, 06:36 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
anne arundel county schools are terrible. They can be compared to baltimore city just about or prince georges county. Its mainly because many kids from other districts such as pg and baltimore are transfering to aacps. Anne arundel schools have an overcrowding problem also. the average class size for anne arundel is about 42 kids. Howard county is a much better option as they are the second best school district in maryland behind montgomery county. Look at montgomery county too. They are the top school district in the state.
"anne arundel county schools are terrible."

What an asinine claim.

Typical of a Montgomery County snob!

All 4 of my grand kids wen County to public schools and ALL 4 graduated from college and are doing quite well.

"Anne Arundel County, MD public high schools have an average math proficiency score of 45% (versus the Maryland public high school average of 39%), and reading proficiency score of 65% (versus the 60% statewide average)"

"Anne Arundel County, MD public high school have a Graduation Rate of 90%, which is more than the Maryland average of 87%."

Old 01-04-2024, 07:56 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

What an asinine claim.

All 4 of my grand kids wen County to public schools and ALL 4 graduated from college and are doing quite well.

"Anne Arundel County, MD public high schools have an average math proficiency score of 45% (versus the Maryland public high school average of 39%), and reading proficiency score of 65% (versus the 60% statewide average)"

"Anne Arundel County, MD public high school have a Graduation Rate of 90%, which is more than the Maryland average of 87%."
While the original post was really old, I still find it funny that people compare AACPS to Baltimore City or even PG.

The only problem AACPS has is the fact that its school in the lower income area (mostly northern part of AACo i.e. Glen Burnie, Meade, or even Old Mill and North County + Annapolis HS) are just not great compare to the higher income area (i.e. Arundel, Broadneck, South River, SP, Crofton).

That being said, HoCo schools are the best IMHO overall - MoCo is just as inconsistent (the 4W + BCC + Poolesville are fine, Northwest and Quince Orchard are also not bad...then there's those schools in East County that leaves thing to desire) base largely on income of the area. The "worst" schools in HoCo (Oakland Mills, Long Reach, Wilde Lake) are still around average if not above average statewide.

PG? I'll take Arundel HS or Crofton over Bowie HS all day long. PG has literally one HS that's rated somewhat good (Roosevelt HS near Greenbelt).

Old 01-04-2024, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 251 times
AACPS Disparities:

The concern is raised that schools in lower-income areas of AACPS, such as Glen Burnie, Meade, Old Mill, North County, and Annapolis, are perceived to be not as strong as schools in higher-income areas like Arundel, Broadneck, South River, Severna Park, and Crofton.
HoCo Schools:

The opinion expressed is that Howard County schools are considered the best overall. Even the schools that are labeled as the "worst" (Oakland Mills, Long Reach, Wilde Lake) are still seen as average or above average when compared statewide.
MoCo Inconsistency:

Montgomery County is described as inconsistent, with some schools (such as the 4W cluster, BCC, and Poolesville) being fine, while others (like those in East County) are perceived to be lacking, possibly due to income disparities in the area.
PG County Comparison:

The comparison is made between Arundel HS and Crofton, which are preferred over Bowie HS in Prince George's County. The opinion suggests that PG County has only one HS (Roosevelt HS near Greenbelt) that is rated somewhat good.
It's important to note that educational disparities based on income levels are a well-documented and complex issue in many regions. These disparities can affect various aspects of education, including resources, teacher quality, and academic outcomes.

As for your request for a medical billing company, please refer to the previous response for a list of reputable medical billing services. If you have specific criteria or preferences, it's advisable to research each company to find the one that best suits your needs.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:57 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
anne arundel county schools are terrible. They can be compared to baltimore city just about or prince georges county. Its mainly because many kids from other districts such as pg and baltimore are transfering to aacps. Anne arundel schools have an overcrowding problem also. the average class size for anne arundel is about 42 kids. Howard county is a much better option as they are the second best school district in maryland behind montgomery county. Look at montgomery county too. They are the top school district in the state.
So, you do realize that schools are rated annually based on actual empirical data, right? And your opinion is completely at odds with that data? Do better.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:34 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastmom View Post
I need some help. We are looking at Howard County vs AA county for a move. I'm leaning a bit more towards Howard for diversity reasons but need to look at the school quality as well. Have heard that HC schools are excellent but I need subjective feedback from people about the schools. Do Howard County schools simply teach to the test (MSA) or do they provide a lot of enrichment outside of the test arena? How are they with creative, out of the box type teaching? How is their Gifted and Talented program?

Same questions about Anne Arundel. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this particular question is likely moot since the thread is almost fifteen (15) years old.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:00 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this particular question is likely moot since the thread is almost fifteen (15) years old.
The OP may no longer be interested. But there are plenty of other people who might be weighing this comparison.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:21 PM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

What an asinine claim.

"All 4 of my grand kids wen County to public schools and ALL 4 graduated from college and are doing quite well."

And I forgot to mention all 4 got scholarship money.

They don't hand out those for graduates from "bad" or "poor" schools.

1 for a full 4 year ride to G.W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland