Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 PM

103 posts, read 286,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
I diagree with your claim that Anne Arundel school are horrible.....There SOOO Much better than Baltimore City and PG schools

GreatSchools.org Search: anne arundel county
I also disagree. Anne Arundel County is the third best school district in Maryland. I think people in Maryland can be super stuck up and think a school is bad if its not number one in every category. "Oh, this school is not one of the best of the best, it must be ghetto." That's what a lot of Maryland people think. Look at schools in other states, then you'll see how good Maryland schools are compared to those places. To compare Anne Arundel schools to PG and especially Baltimore City schools is really wrong and they are far from similar. Some Anne Arundel County schools are actually better choices than schools in Howard and Montgomery County. There are a lot of Anne Arundel County schools that are great which that greatschools link shows you with their rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:45 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,516 times
I agree with the poster upthread who said you may need to be more careful when looking at AA schools. AA is twice the size and has almost twice the population of Howard. There are areas of AA in the north that are like an extension of Baltimore, there are rural areas to the south, and the schools around Ft. Meade have always had an iffy reputation. Then you've got very good schools in the newer suburban areas. Howard is smaller and more homogenous.

Last edited by newhart; 01-26-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
anne arundel county schools are terrible. They can be compared to baltimore city just about or prince georges county. Its mainly because many kids from other districts such as pg and baltimore are transfering to aacps. Anne arundel schools have an overcrowding problem also. the average class size for anne arundel is about 42 kids. Howard county is a much better option as they are the second best school district in maryland behind montgomery county. Look at montgomery county too. They are the top school district in the state.
Wow, this is just untrue. Maybe some of the schools near Baltimore County line are not great (spouse teaches in Glen Burnie, so I know a little about that area), but most of the district is fine and some of the schools are among the best in the state.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Anne Arundel County bad schools"

Annapolis
North County
Glen Burnie

You may add Meade Senior High School to that list as well, but I personally don't think its a bad school. I know the media makes it look really bad, but they have a lot of advantages compared to some of the other schools in Anne Arundel County. If your child wants to learn, hangs out with the right crowd, and doesn't get in trouble, they should be fine at any high school in Anne Arundel County honestly. So many people have graduated from every Anne Arundel school and went of to great universities. If your child is like the ordinary high school student, they will be fine. The Anne Arundel schools aren't dangerous like Baltimore City and PG schools are. People over think this kind of stuff too much. Sending your child to Severna Park Broadneck or Arundel will not raise their test scores. And sending them to Meade, Glen Burnie, or Annapolis won't lower them. They will find kids like them at any Anne Arundel school. None of the schools in Anne Arundel County are lower than majority middle classed families. Your kid should be fine. I used to live in the district or Broadneck High School (one of the top schools), and I can tell you, there are kids there who are trouble makers too. There are trouble makers at every public high school. There once was a fight outside of Broadneck two years ago which left a student in critical condition, and he was flown to shock trauma with life threatening injuries. Luckily, he survived. According to one of the neighbors, about 75 Broadneck students surrounded the fight recording it, (and this was after school, right outside school property). So in reality, all the schools have problems. Same with Howard Schools. A parent of a Long Reach High School student in Howard County came to the school in a mask and fought one of the students. Long Reach High School also has a reputation like Glen Burnie's. Howard County has a lot of good schools, but they actually have more ghetto schools than Anne Arundel does. They're just sugar coated cause they're in Howard County They just have good test scores because Howard County makes school easier for the kids. They baby them. Trust me, I went to high school in Howard County, and I remember. School was so easy there compared to North County. When I used to go to Howard High School, one of my teachers gave us "nap time" every class. Yeah, they get babied a little too much. When I went to North County, I started doing real work.

Howard County bad schools:

Long Reach
Wilde Lake
Hammond

So in total, both counties have the same amount of "stay away from" schools.

Last edited by CindyTevis; 01-26-2014 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyTevis View Post

Annapolis
North County
Glen Burnie

You may add Meade Senior High School to that list as well, but I personally don't think its a bad school. I know the media makes it look really bad, but they have a lot of advantages compared to some of the other schools in Anne Arundel County. If your child wants to learn, hangs out with the right crowd, and doesn't get in trouble, they should be at any high school in Anne Arundel County honestly. So many people have graduated from every Anne Arundel school and went of to great universities. If your child is like the ordinary high school student, they will be fine. The Anne Arundel schools aren't dangerous like Baltimore City and PG schools are. People over think this kind of stuff too much. Sending your child to Severna Park Broadneck or Arundel will not raise their test scores. And sending them to Meade, Glen Burnie, or Annapolis won't lower them. They will find kids like them at any Anne Arundel school. None of the schools in Anne Arundel County are lower than majority middle classed families. Your kid should be fine. I used to live in the district or Broadneck High School (one of the top schools), and I can tell you, there are kids there who are trouble makers too. There are trouble makers at every public high school. There once was a fight outside of Broadneck two years ago which left a student in critical condition, and he was flown to shock trauma with life threatening injuries. Luckily, he survived. According to one of the neighbors, about 75 Broadneck students surrounded the fight recording it, (and this was after school, right outside school property). So in reality, all the schools have problems. Same with Howard Schools. A parent of a Long Reach High School student in Howard County came to the school in a mask and fought one of the students. Long Reach High School also has a reputation like Glen Burnie's. Howard County has a lot of good schools, but they actually have more ghetto schools than Anne Arundel does. They're just sugar coated cause they're in Howard County They just have good test scores because Howard County makes school easier for the kids. They baby them. Trust me, I went to high school in Howard County, and I remember. School was so easy there compared to North County. When I used to go to Howard High School, one of my teachers gave us "nap time" every class. Yeah, they get babied a little too much. When I went to North County, I started doing real work.

Long Reach
Wilde Lake
Hammond

I wish more people thought like this.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 AM

631 posts, read 1,395,671 times
Quote:

Annapolis
North County
Glen Burnie

You may add Meade Senior High School to that list as well, but I personally don't think its a bad school. I know the media makes it look really bad, but they have a lot of advantages compared to some of the other schools in Anne Arundel County. If your child wants to learn, hangs out with the right crowd, and doesn't get in trouble, they should be fine at any high school in Anne Arundel County honestly. So many people have graduated from every Anne Arundel school and went of to great universities. If your child is like the ordinary high school student, they will be fine. The Anne Arundel schools aren't dangerous like Baltimore City and PG schools are. People over think this kind of stuff too much. Sending your child to Severna Park Broadneck or Arundel will not raise their test scores. And sending them to Meade, Glen Burnie, or Annapolis won't lower them. They will find kids like them at any Anne Arundel school. None of the schools in Anne Arundel County are lower than majority middle classed families. Your kid should be fine. I used to live in the district or Broadneck High School (one of the top schools), and I can tell you, there are kids there who are trouble makers too. There are trouble makers at every public high school. There once was a fight outside of Broadneck two years ago which left a student in critical condition, and he was flown to shock trauma with life threatening injuries. Luckily, he survived. According to one of the neighbors, about 75 Broadneck students surrounded the fight recording it, (and this was after school, right outside school property). So in reality, all the schools have problems. Same with Howard Schools. A parent of a Long Reach High School student in Howard County came to the school in a mask and fought one of the students. Long Reach High School also has a reputation like Glen Burnie's. Howard County has a lot of good schools, but they actually have more ghetto schools than Anne Arundel does. They're just sugar coated cause they're in Howard County They just have good test scores because Howard County makes school easier for the kids. They baby them. Trust me, I went to high school in Howard County, and I remember. School was so easy there compared to North County. When I used to go to Howard High School, one of my teachers gave us "nap time" every class. Yeah, they get babied a little too much. When I went to North County, I started doing real work.

Long Reach
Wilde Lake
Hammond

Meade is not a "bad" school. Lots of kids at Meade graduate with honors and attend universities or the military as it is on the base. Something that happened way back in the early 90s and folks write the school off like its one of those schools on "Dangerous Minds"

Hammond??? LOL i just yelled laughing... That school is no where near bad.... I know lots of people that went to the school or have children at the school and there are no disciplinary problems, high academics, and tons of school spirit.

And where is the "ghetto" in Hammond school district??? or even in Howard County?? One or 2 areas in Howard County from the Baltimore transplants does not make the school system "ghetto"

Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,867 times
Quote:

Annapolis
North County
Glen Burnie

Long Reach
Wilde Lake
Hammond

Ok, so then using your logic, why would you paint a broad brush in calling PG or Baltimore (high?) schools "dangerous?" Not all of them are.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:06 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Hammond??? LOL i just yelled laughing... That school is no where near bad.... I know lots of people that went to the school or have children at the school and there are no disciplinary problems, high academics, and tons of school spirit.....
Yeah, I'm laughing, too. lol. Hammond is not a problem school.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 35,944 times
Quote:
You can find people of a lot of races in Howard County schools. The Howard County schools that are really good are River Hill High, Gleneg (I think that's how you spell it), Howard, Centennial, Atholton, and Marriotts Ridge.
Not trying to be "that person," but it's actually Glenelg (and the second 'g' is silent!)

OP - I went to schools in HCPSS from K-12 (actually graduated from Glenelg....a couple years ago ) I wouldn't have a problem recommending Howard County schools, but I think you will find that all schools teach for standardized tests because it is such a HUGE part of how much funding you receive. I'd also add that you should double-check if you move to Columbia, because the worst schools in the county (which in comparison to other areas are probably still not very bad) are located there.

Also, quick story - I went through the gifted and talented program and took a handful of AP classes. One of my hardest classes was my AP chem class. I forget what my AP score was, but I know that it got me out of gen chem 1 in college (but not gen chem 2!). Long story short, I took Gen Chem 2 and did great - knew a lot of the material already, had classmates coming to me for help with homework, and got an A- in the course (missed an A by less than 2 points - I was irritated about that for a long time, lol) (That's my great teacher story; you should hear my terrible teacher story )

Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Meade is not a "bad" school. Lots of kids at Meade graduate with honors and attend universities or the military as it is on the base. Something that happened way back in the early 90s and folks write the school off like its one of those schools on "Dangerous Minds"

Hammond??? LOL i just yelled laughing... That school is no where near bad.... I know lots of people that went to the school or have children at the school and there are no disciplinary problems, high academics, and tons of school spirit.

And where is the "ghetto" in Hammond school district??? or even in Howard County?? One or 2 areas in Howard County from the Baltimore transplants does not make the school system "ghetto"
Thank you^. For once, someone who does not see Meade as dangerous and see's the advantage of that school. I don't think those schools are ghetto, I meant that they're the lower performing schools of Howard County. There are indeed some rough schools in Howard County. They're just sugar coated because they're i n Howard County. Ask anyone in Howard County, there are a few lower performing schools there. It's not 100% amazing over there. Some of their schools perform even worse than Anne Arundel's average schools. A colleague of mine I recently talked to told me that Long Reach isn't the nicest school out there, and neither is Wilde Lake. But again, IMO, none of these schools are bad for your kids to go to. If your child wants to learn, is is like the ordinary high school student, and gets influenced by the right crowd, they should be fine at any Anne Arundel or Howard school. Like I said, none of these schools are below average middle classed families. It's just the rich snob clusters who look at the "bad" school clusters as "less fortunate" even though they're fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland