Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 11,026 times

Advertisements

new forum poster here. I'm hoping I can get some expert guidance from locals or at least people familiar with the area.
is Westmister or Frederick a good place to buy ?
How is Manchester MD ? Carrol County?
Open to suggestions

I am from Boston ,single Male, Hockey guy and will commute to DC through MARC (Dont mind the 1 hrs commute). Looking to maximize my purchase,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 01:52 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
More info is needed:

Rent/Mortgage top and bottom range that is possible
urban/suburban/rural living situation preference
Schools important?
Politics important?

Old 01-20-2024, 02:23 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianRebel1 View Post
new forum poster here. I'm hoping I can get some expert guidance from locals or at least people familiar with the area.
is Westmister or Frederick a good place to buy ?
How is Manchester MD ? Carrol County?
Open to suggestions

I am from Boston ,single Male, Hockey guy and will commute to DC through MARC (Dont mind the 1 hrs commute). Looking to maximize my purchase,

If you are going to use MARC Westminster and Manchester are not options. In fact very little of Carroll County is a reasonable commute to DC via any method. Sykesville, Mt Airy are about the only parts of CC that will work. Frederick is good but limiting yourself to MARC means you will be going down the Brunswick Line. If you catch thr train at Frederick you will go down the 'Old Main' to Point of Rocks before getting on the Meetropolitan Line to Washington. If you have to get into a car to get to the MARC station you may want to consider just driving to Brunswick or Point of Rocks to catch the train. That opens your options up in Frederick County. It all depends on what you are looking for in a house.

I'm glad you don't mind a 1 hr commute because that is pretty much the minimum to downtown from anywhere out this way.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianRebel1 View Post
I am from Boston ,single Male, Hockey guy and will commute to DC through MARC...
Open to suggestions
Find the MARC stations map. Pick a neighborhood in walking distance.
I suggest RELAY.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:35 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Westminster isn't a bad place, but it's mostly standard suburbia. Frederick has that too, but it also has a nice downtown area. And it also has MARC service, something Westminster lacks. Service out of Frederick is very limited and it's kind of slow, as the train has to go somewhat out of the way to Point of Rocks before joining the main line down into DC. You may want to consider the commuter buses that operate from Frederick and Monocacy to Shady Grove and then you'd take the Metro Red Line from there into DC.

If commuting to DC is on your plate, you need to choose where you live with "ease" (very definitely a relative term) of commute as a high priority. Westminster, Manchester, and indeed anywhere in Carroll County, is just not well situated for that. Frederick is a better option. Better still would be closer-in areas like Columbia or Annapolis, but you did say that you want to maximize your housing dollars, and the closer-in areas tend to be more expensive.

Old 01-21-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
More info is needed:

Rent/Mortgage top and bottom range that is possible
urban/suburban/rural living situation preference
Schools important?
Politics important?
1.First time buyer (FHA 3.5% down) up to $3400
2.School not important
3. Politics: Both party sucks!! , so dont care
4. suburban/rural
5. will drive up to 30 min to get to the MARC

Last edited by BostonianRebel1; 01-21-2024 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-21-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you are going to use MARC Westminster and Manchester are not options. In fact very little of Carroll County is a reasonable commute to DC via any method. Sykesville, Mt Airy are about the only parts of CC that will work. Frederick is good but limiting yourself to MARC means you will be going down the Brunswick Line. If you catch thr train at Frederick you will go down the 'Old Main' to Point of Rocks before getting on the Meetropolitan Line to Washington. If you have to get into a car to get to the MARC station you may want to consider just driving to Brunswick or Point of Rocks to catch the train. That opens your options up in Frederick County. It all depends on what you are looking for in a house.

I'm glad you don't mind a 1 hr commute because that is pretty much the minimum to downtown from anywhere out this way.
Thank you so much for the info. I don't mind at all driving a bit to get to the MARC. I value privacy, quiet neighborhood and maximizing space
I was thinking of going to Monocacy MARC for the Frederick area
and for Westminster and Manchester drive to Halethrope MARC

Old 01-21-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Westminster isn't a bad place, but it's mostly standard suburbia. Frederick has that too, but it also has a nice downtown area. And it also has MARC service, something Westminster lacks. Service out of Frederick is very limited and it's kind of slow, as the train has to go somewhat out of the way to Point of Rocks before joining the main line down into DC. You may want to consider the commuter buses that operate from Frederick and Monocacy to Shady Grove and then you'd take the Metro Red Line from there into DC.

If commuting to DC is on your plate, you need to choose where you live with "ease" (very definitely a relative term) of commute as a high priority. Westminster, Manchester, and indeed anywhere in Carroll County, is just not well situated for that. Frederick is a better option. Better still would be closer-in areas like Columbia or Annapolis, but you did say that you want to maximize your housing dollars, and the closer-in areas tend to be more expensive.
spot on ,
My job is indeed in DC
I have been doing some research , I feel like Annapolis is overpriced, Columbia seems crime is on the rise and it is getting over populated and yet overpriced to get a decent size house
the housing market in MD is so hard
I was told to stay away from Glen Burnie and Pasadena , is that true ?
any recommandation ?

Old 01-21-2024, 10:58 AM

would you recommend Brunswick, MD 21716 ?
how is the life style ?

Old 01-21-2024, 12:23 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
No, you don't need to stay away from Glen Burnie and Pasadena as there are many nice places in the area. However, each neighborhood you look at you need to keep in mind the distance to the nearest MARC line. I would pay particular attention to the two MARC lines that run between Baltimore and Washington. I don't know if you will get more house for your money out in Western Maryland, but access to the train and the total commute will not be as easy as the area directly between Baltimore and DC and the Penn and Camden MARC lines.

Why is Maryland housing so hard? I think it is pricey, but not hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland