Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:40 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianRebel1 View Post
Jeebus, Maryland has cape cod prices in southie areas !!!the state must be full of barneys
how does a chowderhead with his Charlestown briefcase & Southie tuxedo supposed to find a home FFS
unreal lol
I assume the translation of this is "Sticker shock"

Sorry to say, MD is not a cheap place to live unless you live in far western part of the state, or inland on the Eastern Shore, or in certain parts of Baltimore City. Proximity to D.C. = $$$$

A few posters have suggested looking into WV, I would second. Your money will go further there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 09:05 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

Sorry to say, MD is not a cheap place to live unless you live in far western part of the state, or inland on the Eastern Shore, or in certain parts of Baltimore City. Proximity to D.C. = $$$$

A few posters have suggested looking into WV, I would second. Your money will go further there.
I know hundreds (thousands?) of people do that now but the commute if he's Downtown would be a killer. What is it, two hours each way on a good day? I know how long it takes me to drive it and I just learned the number on the speed limit signs are a maximum, not a minimum.

I don't think he's mentioned what money he's willing to spend or what he's looking at. Yes, a new McMansion even here in Calvert will start at $600K and go up, but there are older, smaller houses here for less (except people are now getting 2006 stupid for pricing their houses and they're sitting).

Old 01-26-2024, 12:43 PM

27 posts, read 11,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

it's a fools market honestly, supported by all the feds workers . The market housing in MD is soooo broken and completely disconnected, amazing really lol

Old 01-26-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know hundreds (thousands?) of people do that now but the commute if he's Downtown would be a killer. What is it, two hours each way on a good day? I know how long it takes me to drive it and I just learned the number on the speed limit signs are a maximum, not a minimum.

I don't think he's mentioned what money he's willing to spend or what he's looking at. Yes, a new McMansion even here in Calvert will start at $600K and go up, but there are older, smaller houses here for less (except people are now getting 2006 stupid for pricing their houses and they're sitting).
How many people do you actually know ? You must be the Mayah of MD lol
I am an adult and phrases like "I know hundreds (thousands)" which you employ constantly and loosely are a red flag to me

Sorry i cant take your advise seriously anymore , once you stated you were "half joking but not really about Solomon". just an FYI

Thank you

Old 01-26-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
it's a fools market honestly, supported by all the feds workers . The market housing in MD is soooo broken and completely disconnected, amazing really lol
Isn't the Boston area similar? You're seeing this in most major metropolitan areas and have been for a couple decades.

Some of it here is what I mentioned a couple posts ago, just people being stupid thinking they're getting a deal.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:38 PM

I am just curious, is the Frederick school system any good ?
any info on Finksburg, MD 21048?

Old 01-26-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Maryland school systems are County based so you have to know which attendance area you're in and research the schools in it (and in fast growing areas those attendance areas can and do change on a regular basis).

https://www.fcps.org/

Old 01-26-2024, 03:05 PM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
The clusters in eastern part of Frederick Co (Urbana, Linganore, Oakdale) are usually consider the best schools, along with Middletown. The "in-town" schools depends (The high schools are ok for what they are, some of the elementary schools are not as "good" but mainly due to the area's demographic, i.e. lots of lower income Hispanics). The schools do have some overcrowding problem due to the recent growth in the county overall.

That being said, I thought you're not concern about schools? (Which is why I suggested looking in Jefferson Co WV?)

Quote:
You're from Boston area where people pay just as much for a house that's old. Is there any different anyway?

Actually maybe that's why you're used to 1-1.5 hr commute on MBTA b/c of price .

Old 01-26-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianRebel1;66353671[B
]How many people do you actually know ? You must be the Mayah of MD lol
I am an adult and phrases like "I know hundreds (thousands)" which you employ constantly and loosely are a red flag to me [/b]

Sorry i cant take your advise seriously anymore , once you stated you were "half joking but not really about Solomon". just an FYI

Thank you

Then you're pretty goddamned dumb. When I say that I know that "hundreds (thousands?) of people commute from" an area I didn't say that I "knew" them, just can read the statistics that are available from various sources.

As far as Solomon's goes, you seemed bound and determined to find a place where you'd have a two hour commute (it's usually a bit less from there) from places that can somewhat be described as "you can't get there from here". In point of fact, all of Southern Maryland has thousands of commuters out of it on a daily basis, most going to DC and its suburbs and even to Virginia.

You mentioned bars, Solomon's has them and much more nightlife than someone else mentioned, mostly because of NAS PAX right across the river.

Suit yourself as to who you pay attention to.

Old 01-26-2024, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then you're pretty goddamned dumb. When I say that I know that "hundreds (thousands?) of people commute from" an area I didn't say that I "knew" them, just can read the statistics that are available from various sources.

As far as Solomon's goes, you seemed bound and determined to find a place where you'd have a two hour commute (it's usually a bit less from there) from places that can somewhat be described as "you can't get there from here". In point of fact, all of Southern Maryland has thousands of commuters out of it on a daily basis, most going to DC and its suburbs and even to Virginia.

You mentioned bars, Solomon's has them and much more nightlife than someone else mentioned, mostly because of NAS PAX right across the river.

Suit yourself as to who you pay attention to.
lol calling names now !!! thanks for the confirmation, Words have meanings!!!
give you a last hint, you are on my ignore list period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland