Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 AM

7,031 posts, read 11,329,049 times

Advertisements

Some people like the diversity of race, color, creed, regional origin, first language, etc. that come with living in cosmopolitan areas. Other people choose a more homogeneous community where families have lived together for generations and developed a distinct local identity. Distinct local communties only exist based on the fact that they are different from other places.

At its best, these differences are positives like heritage, religion, community schools, social clubs, and interrelation between residents. At its worst these differences can be used to exclude others that don't fit the community standard, sometimes through no fault the person themselves (like skin color), other times it is based on people's attitudes and behaviors.

No doubt there are true instances of discrimination, hatred, and mean spiritness, but most of the time the tension of "old" towns and "new" developments and the intial coldness between the old-timer and the transplants is misinterpreted and precipitates an escalation of conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 01:01 PM

69 posts, read 400,912 times
Talking To NJ2MDdude:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
My parents once lived in New Windsor. I've been to Carroll County, and I like the area. My co-worker lives in Carroll County and loves the area. But several years ago, I believe the county experienced a severe dry spell, where the wells of some homes went dry. Luckily for him, his home was conected to the public sewage system. It may happen every 100 years, but with global warming, that's an issue I would consider.
Hey dude: up here in Carroll County, we may live in rural areas where we can see the stars at night and breathe clean air all the time, we may have cows munching on grass right next door, and we may have horses that put their heads over fences and chomp on neighbors tall grasses, but we don't, and I repeat, DON'T, drink from our sewage system if we are in a dry spell. If our wells would go dry, we would not be lucky to be connected to a PUBLIC SEWAGE SYSTEM. We would be happy to be connected to public water, but not public sewage. Even in 100 years, and even with global warning, we will not drink from our public sewage system. Before my family moved up here, yes there was a "dry spell" and water was "longed for" as far as car washing and playing in the hose, but water was only rationed and some even had bottled water brought to their door. However, through all the hot days and nights and the summer sun beating down, they DID NOT MAKE US DRINK FROM THE PUBLIC SEWAGE SYSTEM. Some houses were and still are hooked up to public water, but our public sewage just carries our poo-poo and things we don't want to mention. Yes, we are a somewhat "laid back" group of people. We love our clean roads, friendly people, and our rural lifestyle, but when they start making us drink from the PUBLIC SEWAGE SYSTEM, we're all outta here!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 8,690 times
As a former resident i can say,

Pros:
low crime
rural area
nice schools

Cons:
far from baltimore other cities
urban sprawl taking over some farms/woods
mall is small/ not many good stores
houses can be expensive but not as bad as howard county
no real public trans
not much for teens to do

We moved from Westminster MD to NC recently. I think cory08 listed it well, Other pros include *all four seasons & some historic enjoyment. I would add that Westminster is kinda pricey...especially with economic hard times. Overall I do believe the pro's out the con's! Good luck

Last edited by Jnewnc; 11-20-2008 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,456 times
Hello!
I'm an "alternative" looking person, born and raised in Westminster, in Carroll County. I grew up with a number of other "alternative" people too.
People here have mentioned the local's don't like different looking people, but that not entirely it. We don't like outsiders, no matter how you look.
When I was younger, I lived in a small town. Despite the fact it was boring I knew this was the place I'd want to raise my kids, I knew everyone and there was no fear for the kids to wander around the neighborhoods unattended. As I get older, this place is becoming less and less of a small town. People move here from Baltimore or surrounding areas to get a taste of the "country" living. They put up big lights to keep away the animals, bring in their little hoodlum kids who think they're 'from the streets', build Old Navy's, and generally ruin everything that this small, backwards town was.
Many posts here have sited that the Locals don't take kindly to new people, and they're absolutely right. Many people have had roots here for hundreds of years. Now when I go outside to look at the stars I can see the glowing lights of the new people who're so spooked out by it being 'so dark' here that they surround their house with security lights. They come here for fresh air and complain about the manure, (That's all part of 'fresh air', by the way) They shut down the gun club because it's too close to the new Target. There's an Old Navy in town now, and Bob's Variety (our general store) has been driven out of business.
If you're looking for small town living, you like Earl Scruggs, and enjoy a good tractor pull, then we welcome you warmly to Westminster. However, if you're looking for a country club to live in with all the modern comforts, please go somewhere else.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Some people like the diversity of race, color, creed, regional origin, first language, etc. that come with living in cosmopolitan areas. Other people choose a more homogeneous community where families have lived together for generations and developed a distinct local identity. Distinct local communties only exist based on the fact that they are different from other places.

At its best, these differences are positives like heritage, religion, community schools, social clubs, and interrelation between residents. At its worst these differences can be used to exclude others that don't fit the community standard, sometimes through no fault the person themselves (like skin color), other times it is based on people's attitudes and behaviors.

No doubt there are true instances of discrimination, hatred, and mean spiritness, but most of the time the tension of "old" towns and "new" developments and the intial coldness between the old-timer and the transplants is misinterpreted and precipitates an escalation of conflict.
Well. I worked in northern Carroll County for some years. I was from the "city" actually Baltimore County. It is no place to live for someone like me. I grew up and worked mostly in the Baltimore area, and in the Northern NJ-NYC area. Obviously racial and ethnic diversity is a norm for someone like me. I found that the locals don't trust outside people or people who hold different view points especially political ones. I am extremely liberal and a minority. I encountered a lot of "I really don't mean any harm" bigotry, mostly manifested by stereotyping groups. This is because it is an extremely insulated community and it's 95, 96% White and Christian. There is not a whole lot of contact with folks who are not like themselves. You can hear some pretty insulting things, although most of them don't mean it as such. For instance Asian Americans are routinely referred to as "Oriental". I could never live there, but it's all in what you are used to and value. I would rather live in a more Metro area. You learn street smarts living in/near the city, and we know where the high crime areas are and we don't live there. We also know how to mitigate exposure to street crime. Most of the crime is actually concentrated in the very poor communities. God Bless America, we have choices

Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,271 times
The people aren't friendly to those they deem "others" and outsiders. You have to be aware of that.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,104,140 times
Bring up a five year old thread just to stir things up.

I hate it when people just start throwing generalities around just to state negatives. I don't think Carroll County, and especially the Westminster area as that much different than most of the Baltimore area. I will say it is generally safer but there are the same problems with bigots and racists that exist everywhere.

The biggest problem I see is with natives and long term residents getting upset with people who move in to the area and immediatly want to change it to be just like where they moved from or treat the 'locals' like dumb country hicks. If you liked your old area so much why did you move here?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,742,707 times
If your into a more rural way of life. yet still yearn for the suburban and urban amenities of a major metropolitan area within driving distance, then western Carroll Co. is great! If anyone is familiar with Uniontown Rd. it is one of my favorite drives in the state.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,945 times
looking to move there. primarily because of good schools. And i always wanted a home with huge backyard. Don't like city living.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,458 times
Bumping this thread for more recent information. We are retired and want to move closer to grandchildren (in MD and CT) and are currently living in a rural community in Michigan. Any further input into how Westminster and the surrounding areas are doing these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland