Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 AM

196 posts, read 796,221 times

Advertisements

Tom Lennox, I wouldn't worry about fitting in. The only time the native locals aren't "tolerant" is when people move in from other areas, and then go on and on about how much nicer it is where they came from. Yet, they just won't move back. I'm in Westminster, and while it is mainly white, there are also plenty of minorities too, and mixed race couples, and everyone gets along just fine.

NJ2, I remember the dry spell! We basically had no rain for 2 years, including the winters.... it just wouldn't rain or snow. After it started raining, the wells came back. Of course, by that time home owners had already spent thousands drilling dry holes. And now the Almanac is calling for a cooling period over the next 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 07:44 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutgarden View Post
Tom Lennox, I wouldn't worry about fitting in. The only time the native locals aren't "tolerant" is when people move in from other areas, and then go on and on about how much nicer it is where they came from. Yet, they just won't move back. I'm in Westminster, and while it is mainly white, there are also plenty of minorities too, and mixed race couples, and everyone gets along just fine.

NJ2, I remember the dry spell! We basically had no rain for 2 years, including the winters.... it just wouldn't rain or snow. After it started raining, the wells came back. Of course, by that time home owners had already spent thousands drilling dry holes. And now the Almanac is calling for a cooling period over the next 50 years.
cutgarden, that's good to know. I have that mentality too, I hate it when people move here and brag about how things were. I'm a student living in Baltimore City now....there are people from other places, even from Minnesota, who are always complaining about how everything is run so well where they come from and how Maryland is a mess (just because they've seen a small fragment of Baltimore City).

Old 10-18-2008, 11:18 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
Like MDtoNC, we moved from Carroll County to the Charlotte, NC area. I had no choice as my company was acquired in a merger and I was one of the lucky ones that was offered a job in the new company (although it required relocation).

While it is very nice down here in the Charlotte area, I do yearn to move back to northern Carroll County, MD. We truly miss the scenery, the history, the things to do in every direction, and that it's located about halfway between Charlotte and the area where we grew up (and our dear friends are).

If we could afford it, I'd move back to Carroll County or even the northern parts of Frederick or Washington counties in a heartbeat!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,022 times
How does crime compare between Hampstead and Manchester? Thanks.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 12,022 times
What sort of school taxes do you pay in this county. We will be relocating to this county. Thank you.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Prcg: basically, I don't think there's much beyond petty crime in either Hampstead or Manchester. They're only a few miles apart, and maybe 10/12 miles from Westminster. Your school taxes are part of your property tax, there's not a separate bill. I believe 56% of your property tax goes to the education system.

Maryland gets a bad rap for high taxes, and I know some counties are worse than others, but IMO every state takes it's pound of flesh; they just do it in different ways. I hope you like it here!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 PM

743 posts, read 2,244,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutgarden View Post
Prcg: basically, I don't think there's much beyond petty crime in either Hampstead or Manchester. They're only a few miles apart, and maybe 10/12 miles from Westminster. Your school taxes are part of your property tax, there's not a separate bill. I believe 56% of your property tax goes to the education system.

Maryland gets a bad rap for high taxes, and I know some counties are worse than others, but IMO every state takes it's pound of flesh; they just do it in different ways. I hope you like it here!
Honestly, I am paying the same amount of tax here in NC as I did in MD and my house here is valued $100K less. I live on the line between Manchester/Westminster. As far as crime, I was out in the country so I really had nothing to worry about. I use to leave my car unlocked and my purse on the floor. Here I would not dare do that in my neighborhood. I would feel very comfy in Manchester/Hampstead just not in town limits.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
I would not look into this post too much. It is like this is ALLL small towns. I would say Sykesville/Eldersburg area you definately would not have this problem as this is the largest area people move to/from so everybody does not know everybody anyway. As far as Northern Carroll County, well that is where most from Eldersburg are moving to as well as B-more and DC. So again most of the "locals" as was mentioned is this post have moved on outta here and most of those still here are relos/transplants who don't know everyone anyhow. Yes you still have the older locals who are too set in their ways and won't move on as well but that is a small few and they keep to themselves anyway. So, if you like the area I would not hold this post even remotely in the back of your mind as I feel it just is not the case.

Actually, the post that you are referring to is a common opinion about Carroll County, especially Northern Carroll County. It. Is. Intolerant.
Yes, there are many small towns all over this country, we have lived in many,many of them. Northern Carroll County is by far, one of the most intolerant places there is.
Of course there are many kind ,wonderful people too, but honestly, if you are not white and are not from the area, it is not a place to raise a family.
Especially a diverse one.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:31 PM

How long has it been since you lived here?

Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Actually, the post that you are referring to is a common opinion about Carroll County, especially Northern Carroll County. It. Is. Intolerant.
Yes, there are many small towns all over this country, we have lived in many,many of them. Northern Carroll County is by far, one of the most intolerant places there is.
Of course there are many kind ,wonderful people too, but honestly, if you are not white and are not from the area, it is not a place to raise a family.
Especially a diverse one.
With all due respect, I vehemently disagree with your insinuation that Carroll County is intolerant.

We lived there in perfect harmony with the natives and other transients. Keeping privacy in mind i will not divulge why it's easy for us to be considered "outsiders". But, my family was welcomed in our neighborhood, the church, in our business accounts, sports and rec teams, and anywhere we made an effort to belong.

The folks there looked at us as everyday people and how committed we were to the neighborhood, church, retail, customer, team, etc. If we put out the effort to show that we wanted to be part of a group, we were readily accepted.

In fact, it's no secret that I am more than hoping to be able to move back to that area. It is beautiful and welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland