Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 04:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thx. What is HoCo? What about Anne Arundel county?
Howard County, east of MoCo, north of PG. AA would be next on my descending list. Then Balt. City, and County. After that good luck. That said, Md is much more in compliance than other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 05:49 PM

153 posts, read 319,394 times
In Anne Arundel County I've seen about 75% of the people wearing masks in supermarkets and Target. Those stores don't mandate it for everyone but recommend it. Two or so weeks ago those stores had less than 75% of people wearing masks but with cases averaging well over 1000 each day, that probably caused more people to wear them. AA doesn't have an indoor mask mandate but should.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:54 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Complying with CDC guidelines - that everyone, vaccinated or not, wear a mask when indoors. No mask mandate should be needed if people care.
The hangup is the word "recommend". The CDC also "recommends" eight hours of sleep a night. Short of a mandate you'll won't get a high rate of "recommended" compliance. That's just human nature and has nothing to do with politics, which I think is where you're going.

For the record, I'm fully vaccinated and have been for months. I also mask up where I'm asked and don't where I'm not.

Your theory would have more legs if the NFL, as well as MLB, weren't allowed to still fill stadiums, high schools can still fill their bleachers and concert venues can still pack'em in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Howard County, east of MoCo, north of PG. AA would be next on my descending list. Then Balt. City, and County. After that good luck. That said, Md is much more in compliance than other states.
Baltimore City voluntary compliance? Really you think that?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronav...htmlstory.html

https://www.marylandmatters.org/covi...aryland-2/#map

Old 09-05-2021, 09:44 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
In Howard County, mask usage was nearly universal when the mandate was in effect. When it ended, mask usage dropped precipitously. (Keep in mind, our vaccination rate is one of, if not the, highest in the state.) With the increase in cases, mask usage has considerably increased. A handful of businesses mandate masks, but most recommend them. I would estimate that usage now is somewhere around 75 percent and slowly trending higher.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:40 PM

35 posts, read 28,928 times
I have worn no masks in most businesses in Howard County and Montgomery County.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:31 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,010,055 times
Thank you to those who answered my question as it was asked. This is not about politics (why does everyone assume that nowadays?), this is about health and the impact on other people's lives.

In SC we now have over 6K cases a day, we are #1 in the country for new cases, and very, very few people wear a mask. People are beligerent about it and it's causing a lot of problems for everyone in our community.

I am a newly diagnosed cancer patient, and my husband, who is my support person, can no longer go on my doctor appts with me. Surgeries at all of the major hospitals in the state have been cancelled. Luckily mine has not since it is a day surgery. I pray that that does not change. My husband will not be allowed to come into the hospital with me, though. I will have to go it alone.

People are being turned away from ERs now, and our Dept of Health is sending messages out about self-care at home vs going to the ER. I know several people who had pneumonia as a complication of COVID, who were sent to the ER by their doctor, and were turned away. Our hospitals are overflowing with COVID patients, and there is a severe bed and staff shortage. People are waiting for hours in ER waiting rooms for an ICU bed, and tying up ambulances waiting for transfers.

I have been told by many to just wear a mask if I want (doesn't work that way) and if I am "afraid" to stay home. I have a multitude of doctor and hospital appts, and will have many more. So I can't "just stay home". All of these un-masked people are a risk to me, even if I wear a mask. I have even seen people come into my doctor's office with a mask, sit down, and then take it off- when they are surrounded by cancer patients whose immune system is crap.

I don't care if people are democrat, republican, blue, red, white, yellow... not following the CDC recommendations by not wearing a mask hurts other people and could very well kill some. It could kill me. But no one here (in SC) seems to care. I no longer want to live in a place where people have so little regard for other people and care more about their "rights" and "freedoms", and think the government is trying to control them, and there is an "agenda" behind everything, then just sucking it up and doing the right thing for other people.

I have had enough. We are looking at relocating, and I certainly don't want to make another mistake and move to a place that's more of the same.

I see from the #s that MD has a high vaccination rate, so I figured mask compliance would be high, but I know it is always higher in some areas of states than others, which is why I asked the question.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:47 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Sadly, the CDC has offered plenty of conflicting edicts that give plenty of ammunition for anyone who doesn't want to get vaccinated.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:15 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
FWIW, There was a UMD football game (outdoors) in PG County recently where none of the students were wearing masks. I think the lack of concern for mask wearing is very common among the younger people, and they don't care whether it affects other people.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:10 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The hangup is the word "recommend". The CDC also "recommends" eight hours of sleep a night. Short of a mandate you'll won't get a high rate of "recommended" compliance. That's just human nature and has nothing to do with politics, which I think is where you're going.

For the record, I'm fully vaccinated and have been for months. I also mask up where I'm asked and don't where I'm not.

Your theory would have more legs if the NFL, as well as MLB, weren't allowed to still fill stadiums, high schools can still fill their bleachers and concert venues can still pack'em in.

Baltimore City voluntary compliance? Really you think that?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronav...htmlstory.html

https://www.marylandmatters.org/covi...aryland-2/#map
Thanks!

Old 09-15-2021, 08:42 PM

56 posts, read 78,448 times
Quote:

In SC we now have over 6K cases a day, we are #1 in the country for new cases, and very, very few people wear a mask. People are beligerent about it and it's causing a lot of problems for everyone in our community.

I am a newly diagnosed cancer patient, and my husband, who is my support person, can no longer go on my doctor appts with me. Surgeries at all of the major hospitals in the state have been cancelled. Luckily mine has not since it is a day surgery. I pray that that does not change. My husband will not be allowed to come into the hospital with me, though. I will have to go it alone.

People are being turned away from ERs now, and our Dept of Health is sending messages out about self-care at home vs going to the ER. I know several people who had pneumonia as a complication of COVID, who were sent to the ER by their doctor, and were turned away. Our hospitals are overflowing with COVID patients, and there is a severe bed and staff shortage. People are waiting for hours in ER waiting rooms for an ICU bed, and tying up ambulances waiting for transfers.

I have had enough. We are looking at relocating, and I certainly don't want to make another mistake and move to a place that's more of the same.

I see from the #s that MD has a high vaccination rate, so I figured mask compliance would be high, but I know it is always higher in some areas of states than others, which is why I asked the question.

My husband and I moved to the Charleston area late last year after 30+ years from Maryland. Be careful where you move to. We are finding the medical care here (mostly MUSC) to be more thorough, more detailed than the Annapolis, Baltimore, Washington, D.C. area. I really liked our doctors in Maryland and was concerned about leaving them and finding medical care in SC. I won't go into detail on our medical concerns, but the doctors here tend to look at the whole person and spend more time with the patient.

We have not had any issues going with each other to doctors' appointments as recently as yesterday. We have been to our primary care office, Ashley River Tower, MUSC hospital, Hollins Cancer Center, Nexton, North Charleston.

I do agree from what I have read and heard that more eligible Marylanders are vaccinated than here in SC. When we first moved here, there were plenty of ads on local tv about getting vaccinated, getting COVID testing, etc. We do not see as many nowadays.

Good luck with your relocation decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland