Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 05:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times

Advertisements

Born in Maryland.

Grew up in Montgomery County. Best childhood ever, truly the ”wonder years” there in the 60's and 70's. Would not change a thing about those years. Ever.

Then came the 80's. Downhill from there.

Family and I escaped in the 90's.

Never going back.

Enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 11:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
I like Maryland, kids born and raised , family here in Maryland . Will move as soon as I can due to taxes on the retired citizens. Delaware here we come.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:14 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Born in Maryland.

Grew up in Montgomery County. Best childhood ever, truly the ”wonder years” there in the 60's and 70's. Would not change a thing about those years. Ever.

Then came the 80's. Downhill from there.

Family and I escaped in the 90's.

Never going back.

Enjoy it!
That's funny. I was born and raised in MoCo and ended up staying precisely BECAUSE it changed. Then again, the segregated, Stepford suburbia of MoCo past still lives on in large swaths of the county so maybe we're both overstating how much is actually different.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:25 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I like Maryland, kids born and raised , family here in Maryland . Will move as soon as I can due to taxes on the retired citizens. Delaware here we come.
smart idea, never regretted the move.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
I'm a native. I sold my house last summer and am renting. We are definitely planning to leave the state in about 2 years. For one thing, I want to relocate my kids to a more affordable place.

I don't hate Maryland, the numbers just don't work.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:52 PM

75 posts, read 78,981 times
We will be joining the exodus this year. We were hoping the state would offer an incentive to retirees but looks as if that is a moot point. We will decide between DE and VA.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:45 PM

28 posts, read 37,806 times
Retired parent here.

One really nice aspect is that kids have solid job opportunities here.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:49 AM

59,067 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
People move for a multitude of reasons 95 % of them have nothing to do with the state itself. Health ,family, weather, etc. I don't hate Maryland and wouldn't mind staying except for one thing family(hers) . We both want not out but away. We have many friends in NJ and could move there in a min but won't for the exact same reason family (mine). We have friends in NC, Delaware and up in New England and are looking over all our options .To make a thread up becuase you want to hate on the place is bush league.
"People move for a multitude of reasons 95 % of them have nothing to do with the state itself"

And you can back this claim up?

"To make a thread up becuase you want to hate on the place is bush league."

HMMM! I think I will do some research into some of YOUR threads and posts.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:48 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
This is not surprising at all. Maryland is one of the most transient states, especially around the DC area (which is the most populous area of the state).

I grew up in Maryland and know many people in the DC area of Maryland (mostly Montgomery County), who moved to the area and later moved away.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:11 AM

189 posts, read 154,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is not surprising at all. Maryland is one of the most transient states, especially around the DC area (which is the most populous area of the state).

I grew up in Maryland and know many people in the DC area of Maryland (mostly Montgomery County), who moved to the area and later moved away.
^^^ This. I would bet my lunch money that if you could pull the numbers, you would find that Maryland has as a rather high percentage of its population (more so than many other states) people who came here as adults from somewhere else because of work (I am a data point of one, myself. ) It is not surprising that a large number of that percentage will either end up relocating somewhere else because of work, or, upon retirement, will end up going back where they came from and/or wherever most of their family/close friends landed.

I hope to retire in about 3 years. I've lived in Maryland for nearly 40 years, and I may or may not stay here. I like many things about it, and I'm not straining at the leash to leave. I'm certainly not going to return to that bass-ackwards, economic poop-hole of a central Pennsyvlania county in which I grew up, no matter that PA won't (income) tax my pension. (I own a house up there. Let me sing you the song of PA property taxes . . . )

Every state needs to generate revenue in some fashion or other. Yes, Maryland's total tax load is higher than some, lower than others. But over the years I've spent enough time in those "low low low tax paradises" to have confirmed the old saying: "You get what you pay for."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland