Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 05:28 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,096,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Still not in the top ten.
You still don't get it. They went from top twenty to top ten in the latest stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 AM

17 posts, read 13,729 times
Sure can't tell by all the new subdivisions, traffic congestions, apartments, condos, schools, and businesses that are sprouting up in Frederick, Montgomery, Prince Georges, Charles, Calvert, Baltimore, Harford, and Anne Arundel Counties. This article must be referring to Marylanders living in the Delmarva Peninsula are leaving to move to Virginia or North Carolina lol.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,970,970 times
Maryland is expensive. It's the same characters that start these threads.

You can live in Idaho if you like, but way to remote, and it's not inexpensive. Same with Oregon with high housing costs and sky high property tax.

But yes, Maryland is not cheap.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:42 AM

59,229 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
" Maryland Among ‘Most Moved From’ States In 2020"

It's been that way long BEFORE 2020!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, include naturalized Marylanders. It still would be interesting to see how many of them, meaning multi-decade residents like you and me, as well as inbred natives are moving out and how much of the churn is just natural turnover.

Keep in mind that the state has a large military presence so that will play into it. Unless the 55+ year old military retiree gets a job as an overpaid consultant with a defense contractor he'll probably leave.

There are quite a few of those, as well as Civil Service retirees, near me (Calvert seems to draw them like a pile of crab shells draws flies) and many of them either leave or use their houses here as seasonal living if they don't stay.
A native since 2 years old, born in D.C., moved out 14 years ago and not 1 second of regret!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
People move for a multitude of reasons 95 % of them have nothing to do with the state itself. Health ,family, weather, etc. I don't hate Maryland and wouldn't mind staying except for one thing family(hers) . We both want not out but away. We have many friends in NJ and could move there in a min but won't for the exact same reason family (mine). We have friends in NC, Delaware and up in New England and are looking over all our options .To make a thread up becuase you want to hate on the place is bush league.
" 95 % of them have nothing to do with the state itself." And you came up with this conclusion, how?

I moved out 14 years ago to a place where MANY left their home states and moved here.
The No.1 reason given is BECAUSE of their home states itself.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
I think Maryland is becoming a good state to be from, like California.
"Maryland is becoming a good state to be from", as I say, as FAR from as you can get!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benquan View Post
Sure can't tell by all the new subdivisions, traffic congestions, apartments, condos, schools, and businesses that are sprouting up in Frederick, Montgomery, Prince Georges, Charles, Calvert, Baltimore, Harford, and Anne Arundel Counties. This article must be referring to Marylanders living in the Delmarva Peninsula are leaving to move to Virginia or North Carolina lol.
And MANY are moving OUT, WAY from the nearby cities and surrounding suburbs.

Old 01-16-2021, 07:06 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,153,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With the Boomer generation retiring in ever larger numbers the age of departures isn't surprising. You might be able to correlate that with why they came here originally. If for work then leaving upon retirement may not be surprising.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of Maryland natives who leave.
Born and raised Maryland. Left about 30 years ago. Although I'm fond of Maryland, I have no doubts that I prospered elsewhere for good reason by holding onto more of my hard earned money. Also, having lived through forced busing, declining school quality, left leaning BS and a lousy Police force at that time was also on the top of my list. I live in a State that border's Maryland, I know many who still live in Maryland but are now preparing to leave for good, building their new homes near me. Some have already done so.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:52 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,153,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Born and raised Maryland. Left about 30 years ago. Although I'm fond of Maryland, I have no doubts that I prospered elsewhere for good reason by holding onto more of my hard earned money. Also, having lived through forced busing, declining school quality, left leaning BS and a lousy Police force at that time was also on the top of my list. I live in a State that border's Maryland, I know many who still live in Maryland but are now preparing to leave for good, building their new homes near me. Some have already done so.
Correction, born in DC, moved when to Md when 6yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland