Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 01:03 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
I generally don't consider any reservoir to be pristine, natural or paradisaical.
Read this

https://www.amazon.com/Forty-four-ye.../dp/B009RNC1JO

if you want a taste of what the "Deek Creek" was like before the dam. It must have been an amazing place.

Same goes with "Rocky Gap" which was literally a deep rocky canyon before the lake there was made. A little bit of this habitat still survives below the dam's spillway. Check it out if you get the chance by using the Evitt's homestead trail. Sadly, the wooly agelid has done a number on many of the big old Hemlock trees that live in that micro-habitat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 01:06 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Read this

https://www.amazon.com/Forty-four-ye.../dp/B009RNC1JO

if you want a taste of what the "Deek Creek" was like before the dam. It must have been an amazing place.

Same goes with "Rocky Gap" which was literally a deep rocky canyon before the lake there was made. A little bit of this habitat still survives below the dam's spillway. Check it out if you get the chance by using the Evitt's homestead trail. Sadly, the wooly agelid has done a number on many of the big old Hemlock trees that live in that micro-habitat.
Hey now, you can't stop progress. Which is what one guy told me when he wanted to turn his gas station into a tittie bar. He got real upset when I asked if his girlfriend needed a job.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hey now, you can't stop progress. Which is what one guy told me when he wanted to turn his gas station into a tittie bar. He got real upset when I asked if his girlfriend needed a job.
Both are large economic drivers, so I won't argue that they exist with my mouth full and mortgage paid, but there was a definite ecological trade-off that most people don't know about. Neither lake is natural, and both places were once among the most amazing (some oldtimers claim Rocky Gap was the most amazing) natural habitats in Western Maryland.

Cumberland had a strip club for a few months about 20 years ago. Speaker Taylor quickly put the kibosh on that. I don't remember how, but he did it.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-21-2020 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-21-2020, 07:36 PM

63 posts, read 67,954 times
I take it over Ocean City any day, I'll give it that.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:30 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Most travelers to Deep Creek won't ever make it past the I-68 Deep Creek Lake exit, but there is sure as heck a lot of secluded and scenic land between there and Morgantown, WV.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:45 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:

Maybe we need to put 'masks' on boats when they get on the lake with others. After all we wouldn't want them to spread their infection to the rest of the lake.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:49 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
………………………….

Cumberland had a strip club for a few months about 20 years ago. Speaker Taylor quickly put the kibosh on that. I don't remember how, but he did it.
This is what I mean when I talk about Maryland's "plantation politics" which so pisses off several people when I mention it.

The Speaker of the House of Delegates meddling in a local Zoning and allowable use dispute for which Cumberland had the absolute jurisdiction to regulate under 66B (at that time. It was replaced by the Land Use Article as part of Plan MD).

Old 07-23-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
This is what I mean when I talk about Maryland's "plantation politics" which so pisses off several people when I mention it.

The Speaker of the House of Delegates meddling in a local Zoning and allowable use dispute for which Cumberland had the absolute jurisdiction to regulate under 66B (at that time. It was replaced by the Land Use Article as part of Plan MD).
So true. The club in question was 1 block from his local office, there was no way that was going to fly.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:02 PM

423 posts, read 1,236,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Most travelers to Deep Creek won't ever make it past the I-68 Deep Creek Lake exit, but there is sure as heck a lot of secluded and scenic land between there and Morgantown, WV.
I grew up in WV's northern panhandle and now live in Charles Town, in WV's eastern panhandle. I absolutely love the scenic drive across Rt 68, and agree with you 100%. That part of western Maryland is beautiful!!

Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
I LOVE the whole Deep Creek Lake area! Oakland, MD, the Garrett County seat, is next door to Deep Creek and is worth spending a day walking around! A couple of small, but very neat museums there, and some quaint shops. The annual Autumn Glory Fall Foliage Festival is not to be missed! Although Covid-19 might put a damper on it this year. Google it. The ASCI whitewater rafting course, on the top of Marsh Mountain at Deep Creek, is also pretty cool!

www.adventuresportscenter.com

Last edited by columbusboy8; 07-23-2020 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland