Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times

Advertisements

I just logged into the BGE online dashboard, and my electricity is currently projected to be over $500. We have electric heat in a 1970s built townhome which measures at around 1600 square feet. Last year this time, we paid $300. We keep our heat at only 55 or 60 on days a lot of people are around the house. Even with our energy saving attempts, we're still using 150 kwh on a day like yesterday.

Are other people having similar projections given the weather? Any advice for cutting this down before the end of the month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 06:42 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,517,748 times
We don't have electric heat and that's obviously what is making your bill so high. I'm assuming you have a heat pump?

My first recomendation is to look at the alternative suppliers. Since electricity was de-regulated other competitors have come on the scene. We switched 3-4 years ago to another provider and it saves about 2 cents per KWH. You still need to pay the taxes etc but our savings is maybe 10%. As much electricity as you use your savings will be higher. Our company is called Washington something or another. The beauty is the electricity comes via BG&E as does the bill. Not sure how how you find these guys but we are getting direct mail fliers all the time, that's how we found them.

Just look at the KWH charge you are currently paying, then compare them to what's available. A quick calculation based on KW used will give you an idea of the savings.

One last tip: turn the thermostat down and get an electric blanket and a sweater.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Try this

https://www.chooseenergy.com/electri...y%20%2Bcompany

Old 02-22-2015, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times
Wow thanks this is awesome advice -- I had no idea there were alternative suppliers. I will definitely be giving this website to some of my friends. Do you know if we can still use the online energy dashboard from BGE if we have a different supplier?

In response to your question, we do have electric heat and a heat pump. We keep noticing that our Honeywell thermostat says "Aux" maybe 45% of the time -- from our research that may be unusual.

For the last 2 weeks, our thermostat has literally been set at 55, not a degree more or less. We don't want to let the pipes freeze, but we were trying to save on electricity. That's why it was so frustrating to see this bill -- I don't know what we would have done if it was set on 63 or 68!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:25 AM

579 posts, read 779,799 times
You need to look at your insulation as well? Are you bleeding heat from the windows, doors, roof?

We have electricity/gas, keep our temp at 62 during the day when we are at home, 58 at night and when are at work during the day, and have a 4000+ sqft home, and our combined electric/gas bill is $300 during the winter.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 AM

165 posts, read 233,145 times
I got a winter rental in Ocean City and I keep my thermostat at 62 degrees and cover up the windows with Insulated Curtains, my electric bill runs about 90-100 dollars, it has central air unit outside. There are places here int he area that still run on the old fashioned units coming from the floor, hate to see what the cost for those places are. Hope the people who inhabit those units run portable heaters. The insulation in the units in OC are not very good based on mine and others who reveal what their utilities are. OC seems to be a monopoly concerning their utilities (Delmarva Power) and cable (Xfinity) also, where PA has multiple options and my place ran off natural gas and was well insulated. Last winter my bill would run about 30-35 degrees and I kept it at 65 degrees.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfromhyatt View Post
Wow thanks this is awesome advice -- I had no idea there were alternative suppliers. I will definitely be giving this website to some of my friends. Do you know if we can still use the online energy dashboard from BGE if we have a different supplier?

In response to your question, we do have electric heat and a heat pump. We keep noticing that our Honeywell thermostat says "Aux" maybe 45% of the time -- from our research that may be unusual.

For the last 2 weeks, our thermostat has literally been set at 55, not a degree more or less. We don't want to let the pipes freeze, but we were trying to save on electricity. That's why it was so frustrating to see this bill -- I don't know what we would have done if it was set on 63 or 68!
Geat pumps are very very efficient until a certain air temp, not sure but I think it's around 35. At that temp they are simply not equipped to heat a home, that is when the Aux kicks in. Think of it as a giant hair dryer with hot coils and it uses a ton of energy. That is what's kicking up your bill this time of year, and it's been a really cold last month. But in reading your opening post again it was really cold last year too so it's weird that your bill went up so substantially. I would look into insulation the attic and windows for sure, a town home should not be that expensive to heat.

I just yanked that web site off my search this AM, I'm sure there are other resources. So not sure about the B&G dashboard, as I said I don't use that much electricity ($80-$100/month).

Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 PM

3,719 posts, read 4,884,484 times
I was scared to look and now I see why. 223 for this past month. There might have been one month last year that it hit 200. My last bill was 180ish.

I have a little 1200ft rancher outside of Ocean City built in 95. I guess I can't complain too much as it is a heat pump and I keep it cranked up to 78. Occasionally I drop it to 75 but it usually doesn't last long. On the flip side my bills run 75/90ish in the summer with the AC.

Needless to say I can't stand the cold!

Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 PM

165 posts, read 233,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I was scared to look and now I see why. 223 for this past month. There might have been one month last year that it hit 200. My last bill was 180ish.

I have a little 1200ft rancher outside of Ocean City built in 95. I guess I can't complain too much as it is a heat pump and I keep it cranked up to 78. Occasionally I drop it to 75 but it usually doesn't last long. On the flip side my bills run 75/90ish in the summer with the AC.

Needless to say I can't stand the cold!
What do you set it at in the summer?

Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahodor View Post
what do you set it at in the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland