Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM

320 posts, read 712,953 times

Advertisements

We had rented a house with a heat pump and after that experience, we have never looked at houses with heat pumps again. It could not keep us warm during the winter without astronomical electric bills. It was fine in the summer providing air conditioning but the winter sucked.

Our current house is gas and the next house will be gas too! And I hear plenty of people saying how great the "newer" heat pumps are -- not ever going back to one and I don't care how "great" they are now. There is nothing worse than spending $500+ to heat your house and you are still COLD!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 PM

165 posts, read 233,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
We had rented a house with a heat pump and after that experience, we have never looked at houses with heat pumps again. It could not keep us warm during the winter without astronomical electric bills. It was fine in the summer providing air conditioning but the winter sucked.

Our current house is gas and the next house will be gas too! And I hear plenty of people saying how great the "newer" heat pumps are -- not ever going back to one and I don't care how "great" they are now. There is nothing worse than spending $500+ to heat your house and you are still COLD!!!
Last year in Pennsylvania, my apartment ran off natural gas and the worse bill I had was 32 dollars (my settings was at 65 degrees), here in OC with a heat pump and the thermostat sitting at 62 degrees, my last two bills were slightly over 100 dollars and that was with the windows sealed up. At least I won't have to worry about carbon monoxide as much as I did last year.

Last edited by Jahodor; 02-26-2015 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Fixed grammar mistakes.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 PM

16,382 posts, read 10,509,019 times
How in the world can you heat a house in PA for $32 a month? Is this 1974 dollars?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM

320 posts, read 712,953 times
Every house should have carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors. We have them in the basement, first floor and the second floor.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 PM

3,724 posts, read 4,880,763 times
My heat pump doesn't kick into auxiliary until temps are in the extreme low 20's. And even then I can keep it from kicking on if I lower the thermostat to a more reasonable 72 or 73. If it kicks in above that it's because I am returning from being gone a day or two and crank the heat right up into the upper 70's where I like it instead of "stepping" it up a bit at a time. I guess mine is a newer unit as I had it replaced in 2013.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
How in the world can you heat a house in PA for $32 a month? Is this 1974 dollars?
I had a 720 sq. ft apartment, even the year before in the same area with a 2 bedroom I had 50-60 dollar heating bills. The place was well insulated, they were no drafts.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 AM

16,382 posts, read 10,509,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
I had a 720 sq. ft apartment, even the year before in the same area with a 2 bedroom I had 50-60 dollar heating bills. The place was well insulated, they were no drafts.
Ah that makes sense, obviously an apartment is different than a house.

Frankly I'm stunned to read how high some of you set your thermostat. High 70's? That's crazy to me, going to bed would be miserable. It's February, I'm not wearing shorts and flip fops, I wear comfortable fleece pants and tops around the house. 67 is a very comfortable setting for us, cooler in the bedroom.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Ah that makes sense, obviously an apartment is different than a house.

Frankly I'm stunned to read how high some of you set your thermostat. High 70's? That's crazy to me, going to bed would be miserable. It's February, I'm not wearing shorts and flip fops, I wear comfortable fleece pants and tops around the house. 67 is a very comfortable setting for us, cooler in the bedroom.
I keep my places in the upper 70's (77 to be exact) during the summer, and while it is warm, you get used to it. I could not imagine having the setting on that high in the winter and then going outside. 62 feels so nice when you have been outside in the winter.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM

3,724 posts, read 4,880,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
I keep my places in the upper 70's (77 to be exact) during the summer, and while it is warm, you get used to it. I could not imagine having the setting on that high in the winter and then going outside. 62 feels so nice when you have been outside in the winter.
You just don't go outside! You stay inside and stay toasty! And I'm an outdoor person but I truly hate the cold!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM

789 posts, read 1,101,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
You just don't go outside! You stay inside and stay toasty! And I'm an outdoor person but I truly hate the cold!
Our cold is just stupid now. So is this snow! I measured somewhere between 5-6 inches in our yard yesterday. Some drifts on our street were over a foot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland