Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:54 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Magicoz arguing with north beach person is futile. Ive done it in the past enough to where he/she told me I should kill myself because I dont like the shore and where I live. NBP doesnt live in Salisbury or even on the delmarva peninsula but anytime a rural area is bad mouthed NBP is on here defending it. Must be nice to have your lifes work to be defending rural life on a biased web forum.

To stay on topic(since I actually live here and have for 8 years) I dont recommend the area mostly due to a poor local economy and yes, cancer rates. It seems like a weekly occurrence that I hear someone has cancer. This is a small town area with limited entertainment options and incredibly high crime rates for a town its size. Crime wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt such a constant year after yr. Stats prove this as well. The job market here is mostly retail jobs and chickens. There are other larger employers, Salisbury U, power companies and the hospital. I STRONGLY urge you to visit first. Your age and lifestyle will definitely make or break your experience here. Quiet and peaceful with not much to do other than during summer months then you're good. Hustle city life with lots to do and endless culture and activities... not so much.

For once you're being somewhat reasonable in most of your observations.

Actually I believe what I said was that it was a wonder you didn't kill yourself because you hated where you lived so much.

And my other advice still holds, if you hate the Shore so much then move your ass. You're probably the type, though, that will hate life no matter where you are. Grass is always greener syndrome.

You also haven't paid attention to my bona fides on why I am somewhat qualified to offer my opinion and insights on the Eastern Shore.

On Saturday I'll be meeting with local emergency management officials from all over the state, including those from your dreaded Salisbury. What we discuss, learn and decide just might save you during the next hurricane.

As for Magicoz, and you also, those who go looking for trouble or something to be offended about usually find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

168 posts, read 672,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For once you're being somewhat reasonable in most of your observations.

Actually I believe what I said was that it was a wonder you didn't kill yourself because you hated where you lived so much.

And my other advice still holds, if you hate the Shore so much then move your ass. You're probably the type, though, that will hate life no matter where you are. Grass is always greener syndrome.

You also haven't paid attention to my bona fides on why I am somewhat qualified to offer my opinion and insights on the Eastern Shore.

On Saturday I'll be meeting with local emergency management officials from all over the state, including those from your dreaded Salisbury. What we discuss, learn and decide just might save you during the next hurricane.

As for Magicoz, and you also, those who go looking for trouble or something to be offended about usually find it.
A previous statement you made regarding salisbury crime.

Quote:
The perception of crime is always many times greater than the reality. Salisbury probably has no more crime than comparably sized towns anywhere in the US. Add to that a state university with all the issues that town/gown differences cause.

Probably has no more crime??? A simple google search would have had you back pedaling on that issue. After 8 yrs of living here I have accepted the differences between my other home and here. Some things here are better, others are much worse. What I dont do is sugar coat things and speak "generally". Talking with higher ups that "run the show"on a frequent basis in no way qualifies you to make FACTUAL posts about actual life on the shore.

If the eastern shore was a restaurant and eating there was equated to living there who would you ask, the person who heard things or the person that eats there daily?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM

168 posts, read 672,125 times
Quote:
Man if I hated a place as much as you hate the Eastern Shore I'd either move or kill myself.
How that isnt a personal attack I have no idea.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 AM

65 posts, read 99,855 times
Well having lived in both Salisbury and Annapolis I gotta say I prefer the latter. Salisbury has gone downhill in recent years and home invasions have gone way up. I'm not sure why exactly. The nice thing is its close to the ocean and has a nice mall and restaurants. Crisfield is a nice place to visit right down the road, ferries to Smith and Tangier islands. But overall Annapolis is the place to be.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 AM

Couple problems with Annapolis if you read the original question (and the OP hasn't returned). She indicated that they wanted a rural area, which Annapolis isn't. That could be fixed by moving to southern Anne Arundel below Central Ave. but you then run into the "need a liberal area" which it isn't. Annapolis/Anne Arundel (heck most of MD) also induces sticker shock for housing in most people, especially moving from a state like PA.

The reality is that most rural areas in the US are both conservative in political outlook (regardless of which political party is dominant) and religious.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM

65 posts, read 99,855 times
Quote:
Couple problems with Annapolis if you read the original question (and the OP hasn't returned). She indicated that they wanted a rural area, which Annapolis isn't. That could be fixed by moving to southern Anne Arundel below Central Ave. but you then run into the "need a liberal area" which it isn't. Annapolis/Anne Arundel (heck most of MD) also induces sticker shock for housing in most people, especially moving from a state like PA.

The reality is that most rural areas in the US are both conservative in political outlook (regardless of which political party is dominant) and religious.
I've never let what the politics of my potential neighbors could be play into where I moved. I lived just outside of Salisbury, but the rising crime drove me out. Heck even in rural areas of Wicomico County there are robberies. I don't know whats happened the last 10 years but its gone down hill.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
I've never let what the politics of my potential neighbors could be play into where I moved. I lived just outside of Salisbury, but the rising crime drove me out. Heck even in rural areas of Wicomico County there are robberies. I don't know whats happened the last 10 years but its gone down hill.

Neither have I but apparently, judging from the number of times it's mentioned, it's important and a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Magicoz arguing with north beach person is futile. Ive done it in the past enough to where he/she told me I should kill myself because I dont like the shore and where I live. NBP doesnt live in Salisbury or even on the delmarva peninsula but anytime a rural area is bad mouthed NBP is on here defending it. Must be nice to have your lifes work to be defending rural life on a biased web forum.

To stay on topic(since I actually live here and have for 8 years) I dont recommend the area mostly due to a poor local economy and yes, cancer rates. It seems like a weekly occurrence that I hear someone has cancer. This is a small town area with limited entertainment options and incredibly high crime rates for a town its size. Crime wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt such a constant year after yr. Stats prove this as well. The job market here is mostly retail jobs and chickens. There are other larger employers, Salisbury U, power companies and the hospital. I STRONGLY urge you to visit first. Your age and lifestyle will definitely make or break your experience here. Quiet and peaceful with not much to do other than during summer months then you're good. Hustle city life with lots to do and endless culture and activities... not so much.
I thought that was my job? I guess I must be slacking. Thanks for picking up the slack NPB

Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I thought that was my job? I guess I must be slacking. Thanks for picking up the slack NPB
I'm trying. Maybe we could set up a franchise agreement?

If this is my "life's work" I sure was busy with "hobbies" today.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
I lived on the Eastern Shore- near Easton, for a few years. We use to have to drive to Salisbury or Annapolis to do any major shopping....
I don't know enough about Salisbury to comment on alot of what has been said here, but the OP did say they have children, so I am assuming schools are a concern?
I know that Wicomico County ( where Salisbury is) does not have a great school district at all.
Something to keep in mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland