Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:32 PM

45,485 posts, read 60,718,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
Are you kidding me? I was at a small town gathering in Hershey PA (my liberal family lives there) and this guy tricked me into having a conversation about religion where he tried to convert me to evangelicalism. They all do that in the rural parts. Bigotry knows no Mason-Dixon line.

No I'm not kidding you. You were at a "gathering". You were "tricked" into having a conversation? Please. And how is a conversation about religion "bigotry"? Even if someone was proselytizing.

I've lived in rural areas all my life (well except when I was in the Navy) and the only question I've ever had when moving to a new area is 'What church do you go to?" which a non-committal answer usually takes care of.
By the way for reference I'm incredibly non-religious.

The only people in these rural areas who have ever engaged me in a political talk (outside the aspects of my own office) are the come heres.

I think most of you guys that whine about rural people intimidating you into religion or about politics are either wusses or just too full of either yourselves or ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:38 PM

172 posts, read 389,896 times
North Beach Person, did you know it was considered bad manners to question a total stranger about their beliefs relating to heaven and hell?

Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
North Beach Person, did you know it was considered bad manners to question a total stranger about their beliefs relating to heaven and hell?
Did you know that you yourself said you were at a gathering and said you were having a conversation? Of course you were "tricked".

Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Let me tell you how it went. I met this guy as soon as I got to the picnic and we both got in line to get a beer. He started asking me about my job and he then jumped to the topic of religion after a couple minutes. I did all I could to be polite because that's the only way to deal with brainwashed people.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM

You need to stay in urban areas where you can get lost in the crowd. Please don't get into your head you need to be a rural pioneer, bringing your refined sense of right and wrong, your desire to "get close to nature" and your love of Ethiopian cuisine and burnt coffee (Starbucks) to rural areas. Visit and leave money but don't move.

I also think you've blown this encounter way out of proportion. I say this because I have to go to more "events, gatherings and meetings" than most and I have never once, ever, at any of them, been approached by anyone like you describe. And yes, some of those gatherings are at churches.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 PM

I was actually in town that night because of an unrelated funeral. This preacher ruined my day. Our event had nothing to do with a church.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I was actually in town that night because of an unrelated funeral. This preacher ruined my day. Our event had nothing to do with a church.

What kind of event do you attend where a preacher attends that has nothing to do with a church but is a funeral?

You know the art of making small talk and not getting offended or blowing things out of proportion is fast becoming a lost art.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:04 PM

No, the funeral was an event unrelated to our gathering. I hadn't been to Hershey in years (I never lived there) and I had to fly to the area, so I "killed two birds with one stone". This "preacher" was not a real preacher but was very active in his church.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM

7,035 posts, read 11,339,298 times

This is a riot.

I have a great strategy whenever anyone tries to convert me. I just explain that I am Catholic and like it that way. That normally ends the conversation very quickly. If not, those 12 years of Catholic School education come in awfully handy.

It seems many Evangelicals would rather converse with an atheist before one of us Mary-worshipping Papists.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 PM

168 posts, read 672,929 times
Magicoz arguing with north beach person is futile. Ive done it in the past enough to where he/she told me I should kill myself because I dont like the shore and where I live. NBP doesnt live in Salisbury or even on the delmarva peninsula but anytime a rural area is bad mouthed NBP is on here defending it. Must be nice to have your lifes work to be defending rural life on a biased web forum.

To stay on topic(since I actually live here and have for 8 years) I dont recommend the area mostly due to a poor local economy and yes, cancer rates. It seems like a weekly occurrence that I hear someone has cancer. This is a small town area with limited entertainment options and incredibly high crime rates for a town its size. Crime wouldnt be an issue if it wasnt such a constant year after yr. Stats prove this as well. The job market here is mostly retail jobs and chickens. There are other larger employers, Salisbury U, power companies and the hospital. I STRONGLY urge you to visit first. Your age and lifestyle will definitely make or break your experience here. Quiet and peaceful with not much to do other than during summer months then you're good. Hustle city life with lots to do and endless culture and activities... not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland