Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times

Advertisements

This spring I was reminded on many back roads, just exactly why charging to get rid of TVs and computer monitors was a bad, bad, idea.

What gets me is those who take couches or mattresses out to the back roads and dump them in the ditch. Most roadside trash pick up will take them around my area anyway.

Pathetic, but as long as there are humans, there will always be those who are slobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
This spring I was reminded on many back roads, just exactly why charging to get rid of TVs and computer monitors was a bad, bad, idea.

What gets me is those who take couches or mattresses out to the back roads and dump them in the ditch. Most roadside trash pick up will take them around my area anyway.

Pathetic, but as long as there are humans, there will always be those who are slobs.
Charging someone to throw away an item is not palatable to a good many people from Maine. We pay for $500.00 a refrigerator, we pay sales tax on the purchase, we pay an initial recycling fee of $10-20 to recycle it when it gets old. We feed it electricity at X number of cents per KWH for a number of years, we pay taxes on the electricity. We repair it as needed, we are convinced by the green movement we need to replace it as it does not meet "new standards" for efficiency. We go to get rid of it and are are charged $30.00 or more to dispose of it (which we actually paid for initially) plus we need to remove the door so little Johnny does not suffocate in it. Is it any wonder there are dozens of these types of appliances scattered along Maine roads?? Don't charge people $30.00 to get rid of them and there won't be dozens of them all over the place. $30.00 buys alot of Allen's Coffee Brandy!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,523 times
Wink trash is cash

Good conversation on refuse & recycling!

One of my favorite transfer stations (I frequent several stump dumps & transfer stations in Knox Co.) is the ultra-efficient St. George (ME) Transfer Station. Here's a short article on their recycling program:St. George, Maine | Recycle Together

Old 04-14-2010, 07:51 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,545 times
I dumped this old clawfoot bathtub and the side of the road.... but on my property some distace from the house. I used to own 40 acres of country land in western PA. One day I noticed that someone picked it up. I've put all kinds of trash on my front lawn with a sign of "FREE". it always disappears.

What is one person's trash is another person's treasure.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Price of metal is way up . My brother got $75.00 for an old cast iron bathtub and a handful of copper pipes. I'm planning to clean out my barn soon. I have a pile of old aluminum small engine parts to get rid of, some old lead batteries, some brass pipe valves, and a dead garden tractor. That stuff should be worth a few bucks.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I dumped this old clawfoot bathtub and the side of the road.... but on my property some distace from the house. I used to own 40 acres of country land in western PA. One day I noticed that someone picked it up. I've put all kinds of trash on my front lawn with a sign of "FREE". it always disappears.

What is one person's trash is another person's treasure.
That's what we do with large items (like the entertainment center I just got rid of) that are too good to be thrown out. 9 times out of 10, they're gone in 5 minutes.

What I can pack up, I rotate between donation centers like the Salvation Army, Good Will and Hands of Hope et.al.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,337,250 times
We have done that as well. We put an old dryer by the side of the road and hand wrote "Works and Free" and it is gone the same day. We changed our hot water tank with on demand and Poof gone.
WE feel pretty good giving it because we've kind of all been in a jam and some can use it and we can't ... well.. it's easy clean up with out stress and we've made someones day.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,485 times
A couple of years ago we had a yard sale. The items that did not sell went to the bottom of the driveway. We had an old piece of plywood and spray painted "free" on it and put it out as a sign. The next morning all of the sale items were still there but the sign had been taken. I suppose it did say "free" on it lol.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:06 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,440 times
Thumbs up Official announcement!

To all of my CD family that aren't on my Face Book friends list, I'm very excited to let you all know that as of Friday, April 23rd, DH and I are going to be full time MAINE residents again!

We've enjoyed our snowbird status for the last 4 years, but now it's time to come home! We'll be setting up housekeeping back in Brunswick again until we make long term decisions. It's been a fantastic ride, this 4 year extended vacation has been an absolute dream, we've loved the warmth and the sunshine, however the longing for family has far taken over any need for that.

I've always told you all that Maine is home and some day I'd be back, some day is here! I'm looking forward to getting together with my very special "CD family" friends again, and I'll see you all very, very soon!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
That's wonderful Mermaid!! I know your family will be very happy to have you home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine