Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times

Advertisements

I had a funny thing happen today...I was walking around the garage when I looked up and saw a muskrat loping toward me. It didn't notice me standing there until it was a couple of feet from me. I was so surprised that it kept coming; I spoke up and surprised it. It turned around and went back to the vernal pool from whence it came. I'm just wondering where it was heading in such a determined hurry. And I'll probably never know!

Maineah - thank you - glad to know you liked your "Buff Orpy's." I'm looking forward to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
I had a funny thing happen today...I was walking around the garage when I looked up and saw a muskrat loping toward me. It didn't notice me standing there until it was a couple of feet from me. I was so surprised that it kept coming; I spoke up and surprised it. It turned around and went back to the vernal pool from whence it came. I'm just wondering where it was heading in such a determined hurry. And I'll probably never know!

Maineah - thank you - glad to know you liked your "Buff Orpy's." I'm looking forward to them.
You should contact the pet psychic, they could probably tell you.;-)

Old 04-04-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You should contact the pet psychic, they could probably tell you.;-)
v-e-r-y funny there, AustinB!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post

You will love those Buff Orpingtons. They are so nice you won't want to "do them in"! If you can use the word "friendly " to describe a chicken, they are! They are polite compared to other chickens and seem to have patience when being fed and watered. Most other chickens we tried I couldn't wait to put under the axe but the Buffs I grew fond of!

Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
My first chickens, long ago, were several Buff O hens and a rooster... elderly birds that were no longer wanted. They were neat and the rooster took to my hubby and became a pet, "Herbert."

I am starting chickens again this year, too... just a dozen Rhode Island Reds. I like being able to throw many of the table scraps to them, especially spaghetti! If these birds do like my last flock, THAT will end up on U-Tube.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,531 times
Would all of you, please turn your porch lights on this evening and leave them on all night. The people of West Virginia are asking this of other states and communities because of the huge mine diaster that killed 25 miners yesterday. At least 4 more are still missing. This mine is in the next county from me, about 30 miles or so.

Prayers focused on four miners still missing* - State News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Oh my, I hope they find the missing 4. Prayers for the families.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM

98 posts, read 197,642 times
Having been busy getting ready to move, I haven't been on here lately. MaureenB... those handlebar types are called ApeHangers that are way high to the sky... Sounds like you got a nice selection of chicks, too. Are they all pullets? I went to an auction last week to get rid of a few more things and ended up coming home with 14 really cheap cheeps. They were mainly all pullets and there were 6 Transylvanian Naked Necks, aka, Turkens, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 6 Araucanas. As said, they were very cheap, only .50 each! And very healthy, too. Then had a man call me out of the blue, yesterday to give me 6 more R I Reds, only 4 of them were pullets, and the other two being cockerals. My chicken population prior to this was numbering 8 old hens and a young R I Red rooster. A couple of my older hens are really old, around 5 years old and still laying! I am hoping that the Naked Necks will do okay in the winter? What do you think, anyone? They do seem okay in the PA climate. They are so funny and personable...

Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Smile hi blueshire!

Hey, blueshire! Thanks for the HD info.

The chicks I've ordered aren't here yet. I'm going to raise the batch of them and will farm out 6 as pullets. I'm some wicked smart...downsizing before they've even arrived!

Best wishes with your move! Safe travels! Are you hauling animals? I am picturing something between Noah's Ark & the Beverly Hillbillies!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
I tried over the years to acquire "The Best " in whatever appliance, utility machine, electronics , or stereo component I could find. I have a lot of great stuff and have had it for a while. All of a sudden I'm finding the stuff I thought would "last forever " hasn't. One of my sterophile $1500.00 speakers just blew up. The company is out of business so no replacement parts are available....bummer. My John Deere lawn tractor I paid several grand for just blew the motor as I was getting it ready for spring. Out of warrantee and not worth putting a new $2000 engine in. Our top of the line Maytag Front loading washer is on it's last legs and will soon need to be replaced. We already replaced the furnace this year! All at once! Yes they lasted a long time and I have no regrets paying the extra money for them in the first place but ALL AT ONCE!!!! 'Cmon give us a break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine