Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 05:33 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

The only 'good' thing about flu shots is you know in advance that you will be sick as a dog for the next week. I always got them while deployed, so at least I was not miserable at home, I was miserable at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 12:18 PM

208 posts, read 210,129 times
^^^^^^I ALWAYS got sick when I got flu shots while on active duty. So did most of the unit I was with. Which is why I haven't gotten them SINCE I was active duty. Last time I was sick with a full blown case of the flu was back in 2013 and that was because me and a couple other staff were being trained in a small, enclosed room by another staff member who had a full blown case of the flu. The staff member wasn't intelligent enough to stay home and use her sick leave.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:29 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times
A little light to end the year.

https://www.wagmtv.com/2020/12/02/ka...OYJJi_QSggG_Aw

Old 03-23-2022, 09:22 PM

Just received an email:

A Severe Weather Alert has been issued in your area...

from the National Weather Service.

Quote:
Winter Weather Advisory issued March 23 at 10:​20​PM EDT until March 25 at 4:​00​PM EDT by NWS Caribou

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THURSDAY TO 4 PM EDT FRIDAY...
* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 6 inches, sleet accumulations of around one half of an inch and ice accumulations of around one tenth of an inch expected.
* WHERE...Portions of Central Highlands, Far Eastern and North Woods Maine.
* WHEN...From 10 AM Thursday to 4 PM EDT Friday.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning and evening commute. Power outages are possible.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:31 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
How did that go?

Old 04-14-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How did that go?
Just an average snow storm.

Often Weather Service announcements add a lot of extra excitement, but most of the time their excitement is far more than what the storm actually deserves.

Old 11-11-2023, 12:00 PM

Today is Veteran's Day!

Many restaurants are offering a free meal for all veterans.

Texas Roadhouse is giving away coupons for a free meal, so veterans can go on some other day.

Today I drove into Bangor to get one of these coupons.

omg, the traffic is bad.

Usually it is only real bad during the week leading up to Christmas. But today's traffic equals that level of traffic.

Coming off I-95 onto Stillwater it was backed up on I-95. Then at the off-ramp and Stillwater intersection when the lights change cars are stopped blocking the intersection.

I made a right on red turn, thinking I would go down a block and make a U-turn. But the Stillwater intersection in front of the chicken sandwich fast food place, is also gridlocked with cars blocking the intersection.

I did not think that offering free meals for veterans would cause there to be so much traffic.

The wait to get into Texas Roadhouse is around an hour to be seated. Thankfully they have employees out in the parking lot to hand out the coupons as you drive by. Just flash your ID card and you get a coupon.

Old 11-11-2023, 03:25 PM

31 posts, read 31,019 times
Nice that they were giving coupons for a later day! That probably makes things easier on everyone. Lots of restaurants in the Machias area honoring veterans today as well.

I heard there is a very large craft fair (Christmas-themed) at the Bangor Mall today that was contributing to traffic.

Old 11-11-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofwinter View Post
... I heard there is a very large craft fair (Christmas-themed) at the Bangor Mall today that was contributing to traffic.
I forgot about that.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:51 PM

A friend just shared with us her recipe for black-eyed peas dip. I felt compelled to share a story from my past.

In my family, anytime anyone mentioned black-eyed peas our mother would launch into telling us about how much she hated black-eyed peas. When she was a teen, her father worked at a dairy, and her mother was often on the road driving a truck so it was her job to cook all meals. One summer all they had to eat was milk and black-eyed peas.

One 50-pound sack of black-eyed peas lasted them a full summer, along with any poke salad she was able to forage.

She was very thankful come fall when they had enough to buy cornmeal, so she could at least add cornbread to the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine