Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times

Advertisements

Does a bean supper require certain dishes to be considered authentic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 03:49 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
What constitutes a bean supper besides beans ?

Old 09-23-2021, 07:57 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Our church had a bean/lobster supper every August.To be truly authentic, they have to be bean-hole-beans. Included in the feast was brown bread, coleslaw , home made rolls and blueberry pie.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:56 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Our church had a bean/lobster supper every August.To be truly authentic, they have to be bean-hole-beans. Included in the feast was brown bread, coleslaw , home made rolls and blueberry pie.
I want all of that and red hotdogs.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:22 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Who likes bean suppers?
I like them in the context that they are a community function. Very little politics or government intervention, so the local politicians do not have a platform to stump on. They do not require municipal tax revenue to host. It is truly the actual community getting together.

I have been fairly active with the Grange.

I have lived in other places where the Chamber of Commerce hosted parades and events, those have had an entirely different feel to them. All the businessmen come out to display their businesses and the candidates seem to figure out how to make their presence known. But when a group of churches get together to put on a bean supper it is more about the community.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Not a fan of beans we do pig roasts

Old 09-23-2021, 07:28 PM

Have you cooked bean hole beans?

Old 09-23-2021, 08:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Have you cooked bean hole beans?
I have eaten them.

Many times.

I rank beanhole beans as slightly better than Cajun-style fish. I have never learned to enjoy black burnt fish char scorched onto the skillet covered in hot sauce. But I have helped to chisel it loose from the skillet many times. The secret is to use the kind of wire brush that fits onto an electric drill to clean the skillet after you have chiseled the char lose. For some reason US Navy submarine cooks serve cajun-style fish on a regular basis. Many times I have tried to bribe cooks to stop frying while the fish was still smoking, so some portion of the fish was not char, I was never successful though. They insist on following the written recipe. They keep frying until after the fish has stopped smoking, once all of the burnable material has burnt off then they smother it with hot sauce and serve it.

As to beanhole beans, someone told me one time that some Mainers will put a little bit of mustard or molasses in the pot to add flavor. I have not had it prepared in that manner yet. But I would recommend trying it with something other than straight beans and water, any kind of flavoring would be better.

I think the secret to eating beanhole beans is to get it served on a paper plate. So you can roll the paper around the serving and get some of that yummy paper plate in your mouth with the beans at least then there would be something to flavor the beans.

But this comes from a guy who learned how to stomach cajun-style fish, so consider the source.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have eaten them.

Many times.

I rank beanhole beans as slightly better than Cajun-style fish. I have never learned to enjoy black burnt fish char scorched onto the skillet covered in hot sauce. But I have helped to chisel it loose from the skillet many times. The secret is to use the kind of wire brush that fits onto an electric drill to clean the skillet after you have chiseled the char lose. For some reason US Navy submarine cooks serve cajun-style fish on a regular basis. Many times I have tried to bribe cooks to stop frying while the fish was still smoking, so some portion of the fish was not char, I was never successful though. They insist on following the written recipe. They keep frying until after the fish has stopped smoking, once all of the burnable material has burnt off then they smother it with hot sauce and serve it.

As to beanhole beans, someone told me one time that some Mainers will put a little bit of mustard or molasses in the pot to add flavor. I have not had it prepared in that manner yet. But I would recommend trying it with something other than straight beans and water, any kind of flavoring would be better.

I think the secret to eating beanhole beans is to get it served on a paper plate. So you can roll the paper around the serving and get some of that yummy paper plate in your mouth with the beans at least then there would be something to flavor the beans.

But this comes from a guy who learned how to stomach cajun-style fish, so consider the source.
I thought molasses, mustard, and pork fat were standard ingredients.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:38 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,628,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
For some reason US Navy submarine cooks serve cajun-style fish on a regular basis. Many times I have tried to bribe cooks to stop frying while the fish was still smoking, so some portion of the fish was not char, I was never successful though. They insist on following the written recipe.
A friend of mine who was in the army told me no one with knowledge of cooking is allowed to be a cook in the military. They want cooks who will follow the recipe, and not try to improvise. I don't know if he was serious, but it sounds plausible...

Quote:
I thought molasses, mustard, and pork fat were standard ingredients.
Bean-Hole Beans

Never had them, but it sounds like a lot of fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine