Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 04:39 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I thought molasses, mustard, and pork fat were standard ingredients.
Yes, always. Vegetarians would leave out the salt pork. If I don't have salt pork I use slab bacon. We're having bean hole beans tomorrow with Anadama bread, mustard pickles, biscuits, cole slaw, red hotdogs, and a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting to celebrate a birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 06:45 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I thought molasses, mustard, and pork fat were standard ingredients.
^....yep!...never had them flavored with a paper plate...lol

Old 09-24-2021, 06:50 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Not a fan of beans we do pig roasts
Growing up we used to attend JD Rocker every year in Jay with pig roasts and live bands all weekend....and a little whiskey thrown in for entertainment...

Old 09-24-2021, 08:09 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
A friend of mine who was in the army told me no one with knowledge of cooking is allowed to be a cook in the military. They want cooks who will follow the recipe, and not try to improvise. I don't know if he was serious, but it sounds plausible...
On subs the Supply officer [usually titled 'chop'] tries to predict exactly how much food will be required to feed to crew for the next 6 months. As exact as he can be. Each recipe card lists the ingredients by the pound, a part of drawing up the menu is to add up how many pounds of beans, turnips, potatoes, garlic, etc are needed each week, etc. If a cook changes a recipe it will cause significant problems a few months later.

I was on one sub where we had a cook who used too much flour, which led to us running out of food months later. It is a funny story, but a long story.

For the last two weeks of deployment our meals consisted of a slice of American cheese with a scoop of peanut butter on it.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:02 PM

31 posts, read 31,108 times
As newcomers to small town Maine, we've enjoyed the public suppers (sometimes "bean" and sometimes other theme, but always with a variety of dishes) at the local American Legion. They're been super welcoming and it's always nice to sit down and chat with new people. Neither my husband nor I are veterans but no one judges us for that, nor for the fact that we originated in California. I honestly think the friendly people are my favorite thing about Maine so far.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:21 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I'm not in Maine but saw the title of the thread. I love bean suppers when my wife cooked them along with a big slice of cornbread, straight out of the skillet, crumbled up in the bowl.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:53 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Our church had a bean/lobster supper every August.To be truly authentic, they have to be bean-hole-beans. Included in the feast was brown bread, coleslaw , home made rolls and blueberry pie.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:36 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,622 times
My mom faithfully baked beans almost every Saturday of my childhood in the oven of our wood stove. Molasses and a chunk of salt pork are key ingredients. Homemade from scratch anadama or plain yeast rolls, brown bread and red hot dogs. imo the beans taste better as leftovers, but i prefer the rolls freshly baked. I appreciated the beans more as an adult than as a child.

I saw a sign a few days ago for a bean supper in takeout format. I thought how sad.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I'm not in Maine but saw the title of the thread.
Same for me. I like Mediterranean style beans. I learned to do a lot with beans during Covid. I really like this sweet potato and black bean stir fry:

https://tasty.co/recipe/sweet-potato-stir-fry

...as well as this black bean and couscous salad. (I use half the couscous, add an extra bell pepper, as well as kalamata olives and feta cheese).

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24...ouscous-salad/

I never heard of bean hole beans before. You learn something new every day, I guess.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
A little info on bean suppers. They're a community get-together with baked beans as the main focus of the meal. Bean suppers are often held at rod 'n gun clubs, in neighborhoods, churches, and other groups of people gathering together to share a meal. The beans that are baked vary in variety but they're always a dried bean.

Beans are traditionally baked in a bean pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine