Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 10:05 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times

Advertisements

Lafayette still has lots of French flavor but as it grows you hear it spoken less and less. The city and surrounding parishes will always bask in the culture though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 07:27 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Southwest Louisiana is the Cajun area of Louisiana, despite New Orleans being considered that by some.

I am half Cajun (French from Nova Scotia) and half French (other half directly from France) - that was centuries ago. Only one ancestor who wasn't French, that we know of.

My Cajun grandma spoke French before she spoke English. My father is fluent in Cajun (a variation of French), but can also speak French.

In country areas in the southwest La. region you'll still find "Frenchy" people, but for the most part, Cajuns, like many ethnic groups, are Americanized. When I was young, speaking Cajun was discouraged, and being Cajun was nothing to be proud of. The Cajuns were country sort of people. However, later there was a movement to resurrect our heritage, and it became sort of popular not only in the Cajun region but throughout the country, to be ethnic Cajun. I don't speak Cajun French because of the era I was raised in (although i can speak a bit of it...if I still remember it). I grew up in some smoke filled rooms with Cajuns drinking alcohol or dark coffee and speaking Cajun, so I picked up bits of the language and most certainly picked up the accent and cadence.

The Cajun background is everywhere in SW Louisiana, now. It's promoted and is considered something to be proud of. Most people here have that background, as you can tell from the prevalence of the French surnames (me included). I liken it to something like the Italians in NYC, only the Italians retained more of their heritage than the Cajuns did.

Being Cajun is a business decision, as it became the norm to make money by selling farmed crawfish, promote Cajun food dishes, popular or famous Cajun chefs on TV, etc.

But everywhere you go in the country, when you travel to ethnic areas, they really are basically American areas with a flavor and a history of the ethnicity that predominates there.

Few people speak Cajun these days. My father says it's been many years since he's had to use his Cajun French language, or even could, if he wanted to. The whole country is pretty much Americanized, unfortunately.

The New Orleans area is more of a creole area...not Cajun. Cajuns are not creoles or vice versa.

The Cajuns came down from Nova Scotia centuries ago. My ancestor came from Nova Scotia in the 1700s and landed in sw louisiana, and there the family stayed to this day. Few people in our family ever moved away. In fact, only one did...Aunt Feenie (Josephine). She moved to CA when she got married and ended up in an institution (sounds like early onset Alzheimer's). She became the example of what happens when we move away. I moved away to work in a big city decades ago. My family held that against me for years. I have moved back after retirement, at my father's insistence.

People say the Cajun food is wonderful. I suppose it is, if you like heavily spiced foods, seafood, etc. I love it and grew up eating it. Still do...on occasion, because it's unhealthy. Since I'm older, I can't eat Cajun food regularly and stay healthy.

But if you want a truly Cajun area where they speak Cajun as a first language, you'd have to go way out in the boonies and look for isolated small towns to find that.
Do such isolated small towns exist?

Old 07-20-2023, 05:47 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,772,996 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOfq0cbgRSI&t=601s

Old 07-21-2023, 06:46 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I remember when I was stationed at Fort Polk, LA, the 0630 news was in French. Wild!

Old 07-23-2023, 10:13 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I remember when I was stationed at Fort Polk, LA, the 0630 news was in French. Wild!
In the early 1900s students were severely punished if they spoke French in school. The goal was to wipe out the language and force them to learn English only. The level of punishment depended on the teacher and students. Some punishments included an open hand slap across the face, closed fist punch to face or stomach, wooden paddle, belt, and in extreme cases a whip. My grandparents told us about the things they experienced in school. The fear was also passed to my parents. At the time my grandparents entered school the only language they spoke was French. In the 70s they spoke half French and half English. They were still fluent in French as were my parents. But they reserved the French to speak about things they didn’t want the kids to know so my generation lost the language. World War 2 meant the U.S. Army needed these French speaking Cajuns to serve in France and Belgium. Though the French was different, they were still able to communicate and understand each other. When those who served in WW2 returned they began a process of trying to preserve the language.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:20 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
In the early 1900s students were severely punished if they spoke French in school. The goal was to wipe out the language and force them to learn English only. The level of punishment depended on the teacher and students. Some punishments included an open hand slap across the face, closed fist punch to face or stomach, wooden paddle, belt, and in extreme cases a whip. My grandparents told us about the things they experienced in school. The fear was also passed to my parents. At the time my grandparents entered school the only language they spoke was French. In the 70s they spoke half French and half English. They were still fluent in French as were my parents. But they reserved the French to speak about things they didn’t want the kids to know so my generation lost the language. World War 2 meant the U.S. Army needed these French speaking Cajuns to serve in France and Belgium. Though the French was different, they were still able to communicate and understand each other. When those who served in WW2 returned they began a process of trying to preserve the language.
My BIL, (late 50's in age,Cajun French) grew up in Lake Charles. He said his grandmother would ONLY speak French, and all her children and grandchildren knew Cajun French, although they also knew English.

One time my sister and BIL went to Paris for their anniversary. They said knowing Cajun French helped them get around and communicate with the locals, be understood, etc.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:37 PM

19 posts, read 21,863 times
I appreciate everyone's input on French Louisiana. Sad how at-risk it is of dying in the state.

Old 09-13-2023, 12:55 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
A long time ago people were punished for speaking Cajun French. I remember my grandparents talking about how schools used to punish children when they did. Now the language is making a comeback, so to speak.

The area you're looking for is around the southern center of the state, around Lafayette, Acadia, Vermillion and several more states. Eunice and Basile areas too.

There's a radio station, KBON, 101.1, where you can listen to Cajun and Zydeco music also. The djs speak French. Hope this helps....
Wow, thanks for that info. I love Cajun and Zydeco music. I was thrilled and honored to hear Clifton Chenier Sr. live in San Francisco more than once back in the 70's. Also, Queen Ida (I think she is still alive.) Such talented musicians. The last and final time I saw Queen Ida and her band was on the Santa Monica Pier in the late 1990's.

I'm happy that Cajun French is making a comeback, however slowly. I've never visited New Orleans but I still hope to someday. I fully support the preservation of the Cajun culture.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:21 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
You can stream KBON.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:03 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yeah! I found it online the other day. I love it!

It just makes me sad that the old greats, the icons, are no longer around and touring. They used to come to San Francisco and L.A. regularly. I feel so fortunate to have experienced such talent and joy. I'm really glad there are others who are carrying on the traditions and the music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana