Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 11:33 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I dated a girl from Ville Platte for a few years. Her grandparents spoke Cajun French.

Lafayette, Baton Rouge are Cajun country for sure. I would also consider up to Alexandria and west to Lake Charles as well.
Alexandria is definitely not Cajun country, nor is Baton Rouge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 11:01 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Several parishes within the Greater Baton Rouge area are officially part of Acadiana including Ascension, West Baton Rouge, Pointe Coupee, and Iberville.

Old 05-21-2023, 04:31 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datfiyah View Post
You from BR. That’s why you’re saying that but even y’all accents are different different from Lafayette and NOLA’s. More “typically” southern.
No, it's just stupid. Baton Rouge's accent isn't all that different from Lafayette to be honest. The deep accents in "Lafayette" are found outside of the city in the bayou.
Quote:
First time I've ever agreed with Tom but the parishes outside of EBR are in Cajun country or River Parishes. You can hate the state government all you want but acting like Baton Rouge is Little Rock isn't gonna fly.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Several parishes within the Greater Baton Rouge area are officially part of Acadiana including Ascension, West Baton Rouge, Pointe Coupee, and Iberville.
Was referring to Baton Rouge proper, not the surrounding parishes...

Old 05-22-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No, it's just stupid. Baton Rouge's accent isn't all that different from Lafayette to be honest. The deep accents in "Lafayette" are found outside of the city in the bayou.

First time I've ever agreed with Tom but the parishes outside of EBR are in Cajun country or River Parishes. You can hate the state government all you want but acting like Baton Rouge is Little Rock isn't gonna fly.
Ditto....

Old 05-26-2023, 06:10 AM

Location: New Orleans ⏩ Houston ⏩ Seattle ⏩ New Orleans ⏩ Houston ⏹
58 posts, read 43,750 times
[quote=annie_himself;65313872]No, it's just stupid. Baton Rouge's accent isn't all that different from Lafayette to be honest. The deep accents in "Lafayette" are found outside of the city in the bayou.

No shade at all, but again, you’re from there so maybe you can’t hear it as clearly but ask anyone from New Orleans or Lafayette how y’all sound. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now ppl from out of state might feel y’all sound similar but someone from the area? Nah, y’all different. Again, no shade, I like you as a poster, but ain’t nothing Creole/Cajun about BR ppl’s accents. The Black ppl anyway as I’m not familiar with the other populations.

And like someone else here said, I’m strictly referring to Baton Rouge city and not the parishes around it.

Old 07-08-2023, 07:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Ditto....
Heck yeah, BR is definitely considered part of Acadiana. BR is one of the oldest cities in Louisiana, considerably older than Lafayette.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:32 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
[quote=Datfiyah;65334053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

No shade at all, but again, you’re from there so maybe you can’t hear it as clearly but ask anyone from New Orleans or Lafayette how y’all sound. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now ppl from out of state might feel y’all sound similar but someone from the area? Nah, y’all different. Again, no shade, I like you as a poster, but ain’t nothing Creole/Cajun about BR ppl’s accents. The Black ppl anyway as I’m not familiar with the other populations.

And like someone else here said, I’m strictly referring to Baton Rouge city and not the parishes around it.
Lafayette doesn't even have an accent that is distinct in Louisiana. New Orleans people will always talk down on anything Baton Rouge, it's like asking an LSU fan about someone in Tuscaloosa.

As someone who is from the area, we use much of the same terms they do in New Orleans, accents are definitely different but its solidly a Louisiana accent. Lafayette just piggy backs off of Morgan City so I'm not sure what they have in this race.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:13 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Lafayette is the hub of Cajun Country. If you want to see/hear Cajun people and see a few sights, I spoke w/my brother, and he reminded me of something.

If you've ever read the poem "Evangeline" by Longfellow, that's a poem supposedly based on a true story about a young Acadian woman named Evangeline. There is a statue of Evangeline in Louisiana, in Cajun Country. There's also a famous tree, The Evangeline Oak. And a working plantation somewhere nearby.

The area is St. Martinville. It's southeast of Lafayette. The statue is located in the Longfellow-Evangeline Historic Site. Just north of St. Martinville is another very Cajun area, Breaux Bridge. That's where a big Crawfish Festival is held every year. Sugar cane is grown in the area. All around there is a pretty Cajun area. My brother said the last time he passed thru Breaux Bridge, he talked to some people, and they had thick Cajun accent, although that was some years ago.

That's definitely a Cajun area. There are bound to be some good Cajun restaurants around there. Cajun food is heavily spiced, so if you like that, you'll love the food. I love it, but that's me.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:59 AM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't think Slidell is authentically Cajun.
I'm not sure I said it was...

I was speaking about the swamp tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana