Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:30 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times

Advertisements

No consequence for false accusations both a blessing and a curse
Exception is a complaint against government or employer or a drug dealer
Retaliation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:22 AM

201 posts, read 333,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
yeah but if you deny them, all the more reason for them to think you are hiding something.

OP, if you have nothing to hide and your house is legit, just let them in and they will be in and out and on their merry way.
What planet do you live on? The code enforcement will not be in and out. If you let them in, and you don't have to unless they have a warrant (haha) they will find something to site you on. Your a fool to trust the town.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,002 times
Default yes the ispectors checks everything

town inspectors are mostly horrible once you get them in they are your nightmares... they will check everything... they will give you time to fix things but you will still get too many fines for too many Moderator cut: language removed reasons.. handrails, fire alarm smoke alarm, stairs, doodr locks etc....

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-19-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,338 times
Maybe they're just hoping you have an illegal apartment so they can catch you and fine you, and collect more in taxes. Just like the red light cameras aren't about safety, they're about more revenue.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:08 AM

592 posts, read 921,338 times
Make the Town get a warrant and file a FOIL request to get the call log of the person answering code enforcement calls.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:45 PM

9,180 posts, read 13,280,385 times
^ Don't think the OP is going to see your post, it is from 2008!

Having said that, I would not be surprised if there was more to the story then what the OP was telling us. Of course it is possible that someone was picking on her out of the blue or perhaps spite. Or it may be simply that the OP has a large number of family members which made the neighbor think it was multi-family.

But it is also possible that the OP did something that made a neighbor think that the OP was going to rent out on the bottom floor.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 989 times
I have a situation I need help with. I put my house up for sale and have a interested buyer. I am not able to go forward with a contract because my neighbor has a shed on my property and the buyer wants it off . My neighbor is refusing to remove it or relocate.I need to know what my options are because presently I'm having another home being built.

can anyone help me?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:08 AM

193 posts, read 271,901 times
Wait... the shed is on YOUR property?

Tell your neighbor to move it, or it's getting torn down. Done deal.

No way in hell would I let some asshat jeopardize the sale of MY house.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,172,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleisner View Post
I have a situation I need help with. I put my house up for sale and have a interested buyer. I am not able to go forward with a contract because my neighbor has a shed on my property and the buyer wants it off . My neighbor is refusing to remove it or relocate.I need to know what my options are because presently I'm having another home being built.

can anyone help me?
Please start a new thread, you will get better answers.

I will give you an answer but many others will also be able to advise you. First off. Are you certain it is your property? If so, your neighbor really can't refuse to move it. He can however make you go to court to have him remove it. There is something called adverse possession and it is pretty specific. See link

Who Can Claim Property Based on Adverse Possession in New York? | Nolo.com

Now if that doesn't apply, particularly the 10 years, he really will have no legs to stand on at all.

Here is the somewhat good news. There are side yard and back yard setback regulations in many towns. If that is the case and he is, in fact on your property, then code enforcement can be called to force him to move it, within the required setbacks, which in your case would also mean off your property. In my former LI town it was 3 feet, if memory serves me, which meant that if I put a shed in my yard it had to be 3 feet inside my own property line. I will warn you however, that if there is anything on the outside of your house that is not found on a survey, you will most likely get nailed for that. It will also take some time.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,411,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleisner View Post

can anyone help me?
How was it possible that they built the shed on your property? Was it built before or after you moved into the house? Did you speak to your lawyer about this? What kind of neighbors are these? Are they the criminal type that would cause problems if you did anything about this or are you a skittish person that does not like confrontation? You will most likely have to get the cops involved while you knock this down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island