Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 PM

131 posts, read 610,529 times

Advertisements

A neighbor had the same situation. Someone thought she was renting her basement and called the town. The town inspector came in and not only looked to make sure she did not have a stove and was not renting but he did find a number of other violations. Here are some examples.

She had 2 door that had to be changed since only "privacy" doors are allowed.

She had a bathroom in the basement that was not on file, she is only allowed a 1/2 bath, she had to remove either the tub or the bathroom, not sure.

She had small round pool but no permit, she ended up taking it down.

She had a deck as well with no CO or paperwork, not sure what happened here but she was working with the town on it.

Does anyone know if you let the inspector in, will they look for "anything" or just the so called illegal apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:56 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,603,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
Does anyone know if you let the inspector in, will they look for "anything" or just the so called illegal apartment?
I would guess it depends on the particular inspector. I'm sure that just like in any other job, there are some that are sticklers for every little detail and others who just put in their hours each day and do only what they are required to do and not a smidgen more.

Though I'd also guess that if any inspector gets the impression that the homeowner is being or is liable to be defensive, difficult or in any way in possession of an "attitude" (annoyed or otherwise) ... that inspector would PROBABLY be more likely to "return the favor" by noting every single thing. Just like a cop does when the driver he pulled over for one thing, starts giving him some lip: The cop starts looking for anything else he can write up additional tickets for!

Old 10-18-2008, 03:11 PM

99 posts, read 730,160 times
If i may ask but what is a FOIL report

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
Freedom of Information Law which is also Freedom of Information Act with the Dept of Justice.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:07 PM

99 posts, read 730,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Freedom of Information Law which is also Freedom of Information Act with the Dept of Justice.
And how does that help the regular joe?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
It allows the regular Joe to request documentation which has been filed.

To wit:

About 10 years ago a taxpayer in our school district FOILed district records and uncovered a fair amount of financial misconduct on the part of the Superintendent. Without the FOIL law, that superintendent would still be misappropriating funds.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,548,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyNYC View Post
A neighbor had the same situation. Someone thought she was renting her basement and called the town. The town inspector came in and not only looked to make sure she did not have a stove and was not renting but he did find a number of other violations. Here are some examples.

She had 2 door that had to be changed since only "privacy" doors are allowed.

She had a bathroom in the basement that was not on file, she is only allowed a 1/2 bath, she had to remove either the tub or the bathroom, not sure.

She had small round pool but no permit, she ended up taking it down.

She had a deck as well with no CO or paperwork, not sure what happened here but she was working with the town on it.

Was that in NYC?

Sure if you don't have permits for things your going to get banged for them.

A resonable inspector would only note life and safety issues.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,765,315 times
It's been my experience that inspectors usually look only at those things that they are there to look at.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,199 times
I live in Islip, what denotes an illegal apartment? If an inspector comes do you automatically get fined or do you get time to cure the situation. Please help! Any advice is appreciated.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:00 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,590 times
Sounds fishy. A complaint from a neighbor in my opinion does not support suspicion or probable cause to levy a fine against someone. Furthermore it doesn't give anyone justification to enter your home. From what I can recall on constitutional law this is the United States of America and 3rd party accusations should not be grounds to violate your 4th amendment rights. Meanwhile Illegal immigrants, yep I said illegal sue me, are living 8 families to a home and the politicians are running scared because god forbid we enforce those laws. Lets go after honest hard working citizens and trespass onto their property.

btw if your curious about who made the compliant you can make a request using a freedom of information request for public records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island