Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer
Huntington has a nice museum, lots of historical sites, an independent theater, aan independent bookstore that gets all the major writers on book signing tours, lovely beaches & nature trails, and much more. There ar many Zagats rated restaurants, by the way. There are lots of things to do, if one just go to chain restaurants & shop that is due to one's own lack of imagination.
the commute is about an hour to midtown, much longer to go downtown, of course.
It is nice here if you can afford it.
I agree with you as well. There is so much more to do but you just have to be creative and know where to look. Lots of fishing, beaches, yes the malls, museums, shows, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 02:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,065,309 times
Default Huntington is very nice

I love Huntington and Northport! Really love those. If the real estate market is going to become a buyers market like everybody is predicting, then we will wait a few months...Upstate NY is an idea though, so is Connecticut.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Hey what a coincidence. We're moving to NC as well. What area?
We are going to the Raleigh area- I post on the NC board more than here. Decided to pop in here to help out people relocating to NY the way Bethanytedder & iminformed & all the other NC people are helping me!

Old 06-08-2006, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,069 times
I'm with you Nick and Glen; I'm one of those people who live to pay the mortgage,taxes,ect. However, I love Long Island;we have the greatest schools,health-care and the crime rate is relatively low.I'm afraid for (my) future on Long Island; you must be either rich enough to enjoy life here or poor to qualify for goverment assistance- the middle class, especially the young are being forced to move out of state.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmania
you must be either rich enough to enjoy life here or poor to qualify for goverment assistance- the middle class, especially the young are being forced to move out of state.
You are correct. Long Island is becoming for the rich and for the poor. The middle class are getting the shortest end of the stick.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger
If the real estate market is going to become a buyers market like everybody is predicting, then we will wait a few months...Upstate NY is an idea though, so is Connecticut.
It already has. I have a couple that made a lowball offer on my house. We rejected and made a counter offer. Now he told my realtor that he's in no rush and is just waiting to see if another offer comes in from someone else. Some buyers wait it out to see how desperate sellers are to sell their house. And if a seller is anxious to get out, they will drop the price, sometimes significantly if they have another mortgage on their new house.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
It already has. I have a couple that made a lowball offer on my house. We rejected and made a counter offer. Now he told my realtor that he's in no rush and is just waiting to see if another offer comes in from someone else. Some buyers wait it out to see how desperate sellers are to sell their house. And if a seller is anxious to get out, they will drop the price, sometimes significantly if they have another mortgage on their new house.
I haven't seen it especially in Queens & Western Nassau. Crap one family homes are going for 600K + . Small 2 families are 800K and up.

Then their are the co-ops with the 'boards from hell' which is probably the worst type of real estate investment.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:43 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,167,791 times
House on my block turned down $630,000 last fall due to having cold feet about moving. They put the house back up in the spring at $579,000 and lowered it to $549,000. Only offer they got was $500,000. This is a 5 bed 3 bath house in Western Nassau. Better deals are there for the buyers now as it looks like one fourth of Nassau county's houses have a for sale sign on them

Old 06-12-2006, 09:16 PM

36 posts, read 194,783 times
I agree with most people here about LI. True, it's a very expensive place to live for the most part. Yes, there are less expensive places on the island but you get what you paid. Nice neighborhood and good school district don't come cheap. Ridge, Shirley & Rockey Point have reasonable prices, so does its location. I just moved off the island here.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28
I haven't seen it especially in Queens & Western Nassau. Crap one family homes are going for 600K + . Small 2 families are 800K and up.

Then their are the co-ops with the 'boards from hell' which is probably the worst type of real estate investment.
Not sure in western nassau but my parents live in Astoria and they tell me how much the homes are going for. An attached brownstown with nothing but a concrete slab as a patio, no property, in need of major updates are still going for $700k and up. The advantage is that these homes are minutes from the city. So many are moving out of Manhattan to pay cheaper and move to Queens with still having the same luxuries of being close to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island