Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Wouldnt be bored at all Crooks. Was born and raised in rural Pa. I have many outdoor hobbies to keep me busy...fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, to name a few. If you dont like outdoor activites I would say you might get bored. But what do you do here that you cant do there? I go into NYC about once a year. So everything else I do here I could do there!

To each his own.

Then Welcome Home.

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
Its a sad state of affairs for all of us who had to leave long island for this reason. My family and those other people who stayed their became rich overnight when the housing market went through the roof. They won the housing lottery! The rest of us didn't and aren't welcome on LI! Nothings been done for the most part to help keep families and young workers on Long Island. I know of people renting out there washer and dryer rooms to people on LI for $700 a month, sad sad sad.. The sad part is I cant even vsit LI anymore because its so overcrowded and the hotels alone are too much .. Theres almost no where to stay at relatives everyone is renting there for $2000/mo who doesn't live at home.es before the huge boom in the market whereby even the lowest people won the housing lottery if they owned houses, I mean dirt poor people who lived there became millionaires there at the time. They then all went out and brought big suvs , etc and looked down upon all who didn't win the lottery.. I was stupid to be in school at the time . Oh well. They also pay everyone especialy in govt jobs that do absolutely nothing all day like the cdcli who are supposed to help people but all they do is counseling (any Bank will counsel you if you make enough money to afford any mortgage) they don't need a housing authority to get paid by tax dollars to nothing at all year after year except"counsel" homeowners who already would qualify with any bank.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,925 times
Unhappy Im Really annoyed at the housing on LI

I agree

Old 07-04-2015, 08:55 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Wow, zombie thread walking. This thread is from 2006!

Here's what happened since then. Home prices have fallen 20% or more, yet taxes have gone up at least 30%. It's a miracle of reverse gravity. The LI taxman has defied the laws of physics.

Yesterday at Zillow I saw a house in my area that sold for decent money, and didn't look as if anything was updated since the 1950s. Taxes were over $1K a month. I nearly puked. I can't imagine what will be LI's future.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times
Island Park and East Rockaway have very low home prices, low property taxes and many homes walking distance to LIRR.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,964,645 times
Not only was this thread resurrected, it was done so by a poster who then answered herself immediately after.

I didn't realize that the internet was so hard to use.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:27 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Not only was this thread resurrected, it was done so by a poster who then answered herself immediately after.

I didn't realize that the internet was so hard to use.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 AM

56 posts, read 115,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Wow, zombie thread walking. This thread is from 2006!

Here's what happened since then. Home prices have fallen 20% or more, yet taxes have gone up at least 30%. It's a miracle of reverse gravity. The LI taxman has defied the laws of physics.

Yesterday at Zillow I saw a house in my area that sold for decent money, and didn't look as if anything was updated since the 1950s. Taxes were over $1K a month. I nearly puked. I can't imagine what will be LI's future.
Prices are not down 20% from the 2007 highs, it is a min of 20% higher in many areas of Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island