Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 05:18 PM

1,302 posts, read 337,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
nice job chicken little. This is like a summary of a wikipedia entry, lol. if your middle school level thesis is correct, it would only take a simple change in policy to correct any QOL issues! Regardless, we've heard it all before. Similar concerns have been raised about Long Island for decades as well. I don't see things devolving to Detroit levels of squalor around here any time soon.
Why do some always go to extremes? It doesn’t have to resort to Detroit levels of squalor in order for a negative impact to be felt by many. NYC is one of the most expensive city’s in the world and for those that actually pay taxes, it doesn’t take a Detroit level of deterioration to realize they’re getting the very raw end of the stick.

I’ve been in Brooklyn for 30+ years. Up until COVID, I never felt as if I was getting that raw a deal even though my wife and I pay plenty in taxes and the city always had its issue (like any major city). I was never one of those “NYC sucks. It’s so bad. I can’t wait to leave”. In fact, I encouraged many to come live in NYC.

That’s changed drastically the last few years. We’ll be out in the near future. If people like my wife and I are changing course, the city has a problem. My wife is a DOE teacher and I’ve seen plenty of anecdotal evidence that the contributing members of this city are the ones leaving en masse. I had friends and acquaintances encourage me to leave the last few years and I always told them that things will turn around. Sadly, I’m convinced that things won’t turn around anytime soon and my mistake will cost me (at least) an extra $200K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 05:57 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
Of course they do. People don’t vote against their own interests for the most part. Their interests just aren’t aligned with yours or mine.

Semantics. The city was bankrupt.
Dude just admit you were wrong and move on. The city never went bankrupt that’s a fact. Period end of story. Check your ego for 5 seconds.

And most do not benefit, many vote on purely tribal and ideological reasons. Even if their life gets measurably worse they vote the same again and again and again. It’s almost psychosis

Old 01-05-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Dude just admit you were wrong and move on. The city never went bankrupt that’s a fact. Period end of story. Check your ego for 5 seconds.
The city invested union pension funds in city bonds to avoid a technical bankruptcy. I don’t think you have the argument that you do. Your argument is just semantics.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The city invested union pension funds in city bonds to avoid a technical bankruptcy. I don’t think you have the argument that you do. Your argument is just semantics.
The city did not go bankrupt in any legal or practical definition. It never defaulted. You said “literally bankrupt” don’t try to use the “semantics” excuse to try to escape your glaring error. Suck it up and admit you are wrong.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:08 PM

Very few in NYC have actually experienced the NYC boom-bust cycle. The last bust was from roughly 1969 - 1994. From 1994 - 2020 the city was in a boom cycle. Some may claim that 9/11 or 2008 were busts but in hindsight they weren’t. They were literally 6-12 month financial speed bumps in NYC.

Most of us don’t know what a bust really looks like and the fact that it takes a decade to play out and another to level off.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The city did not go bankrupt in any legal or practical definition. It never defaulted. You said “literally bankrupt” don’t try to use the “semantics” excuse to try to escape your glaring error. Suck it up and admit you are wrong.
Granted I shouldn’t have said “literally” but you’re playing word games. Unless you’re an accountant you’re just playing a game of gotcha.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Granted I shouldn’t have said “literally” but you’re playing word games. Unless you’re an accountant you’re just playing a game of gotcha.
lol I can’t…

I’ll take that as an admission though.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
lol I can’t…

I’ll take that as an admission though.
The city was bankrupt. They wanted to file for bankruptcy to disgorge debt obligations. Not filing for bankruptcy doesn’t mean they weren’t insolvent.
The unions bailed out the city because they are afraid that the city would be able
to substantially renegotiate contracts (in the city’s favor) during bankruptcy.

You have a semantic argument.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:19 AM

Quote:
The city was bankrupt. They wanted to file for bankruptcy to disgorge debt obligations. Not filing for bankruptcy doesn’t mean they weren’t insolvent.
The unions bailed out the city because they are afraid that the city would be able
to substantially renegotiate contracts (in the city’s favor) during bankruptcy.

You have a semantic argument.
Whatever makes your bruised ego feel better lol. You’ve been throughly disproved, and your attempt to hilariously backtrack with your “semantics” claim changes nothing, especially actual history. Nice try though. At least you kind of admitted it briefly. NYC never defaulted nor declared bankruptcy which you claimed it literally did. You lose full stop.

Last edited by peconic117; 01-06-2024 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-06-2024, 07:34 AM

297 posts, read 133,549 times
Quote:
Whatever makes your bruised ego feel better lol. You’ve been throughly disproved, and your attempt to hilariously backtrack with your “semantics” claim changes nothing, especially actual history. Nice try though. At least you kind of admitted it briefly. NYC never defaulted nor declared bankruptcy which you claimed it literally did. You lose full stop.
Sophist appear to be intellgent but only poke holes - Socrates

Technical bankruptcy and bankruptcy is one in the same. Similar thing with China property developers right now, need an 11th hour deal but the damage is already done.

Its like divorce, your wife left you and moved out to live with your brother but you didnt officially sign papers, yet. At that point are you really still a married couple?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island