Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 10:19 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketyblank View Post
NYC is in a death spiral. Many won’t notice or don’t understand the underlying issues. The issues are well known to everyone but remedial work won’t be done either because it’s not politically expedient or the right people can’t get to the right places in order to do the job.

By death spiral I don’t mean that NYC will be Mad Max or apocalyptic. What’s happening a will continue to happen for at least the next 5+ years is that QOL in virtually all respects will continue to substantially deteriorate.
same thing was said during the urban decay of the 70s, the crack epidemic in the 80s/early 90s, post 9/11, 2008 crash, COVID, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 10:57 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
NYC is in a death spiral. Many won’t notice or don’t understand the underlying issues. The issues are well known to everyone but remedial work won’t be done either because it’s not politically expedient or the right people can’t get to the right places in order to do the job.

By death spiral I don’t mean that NYC will be Mad Max or apocalyptic. What’s happening a will continue to happen for at least the next 5+ years is that QOL in virtually all respects will continue to substantially deteriorate.
Yet you keep electing the same democrats again..........and again............and again..........

Old 01-05-2024, 11:36 AM

1,302 posts, read 321,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
same thing was said during the urban decay of the 70s, the crack epidemic in the 80s/early 90s, post 9/11, 2008 crash, COVID, etc.....
NYC was bad in the 70s-early 90s.the city literally went bankrupt. What saved NYC was the dotcom boom as the US economy went on a tear for the next 10 years and Giuliani was the right guy at the right time. The dotcom boom would’ve helped NYC anyway but Giulianis policies had a positive multiplier effect.

9/11 and 2008 were completely different situations and no one claimed NYCs QOL was deteriorating. They were economic shocks but nothing to do with QOL. I remember 2008 in NYC and not much changed apart from more people losing their jobs. People maybe lost 10-15% value on paper in their homes for a few years.

COVID precipitated this current death spiral so to claim everything is A-OK after COVID is a bit removed from reality.

The current problems in NYC are QOL issues associated with city politics. The last time this happened was during the 70s through late 80s and it wasn’t pretty.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yet you keep electing the same democrats again..........and again............and again..........
A lot of those people benefit from electing who they elect. Why wouldn’t they elect them? One of the issues NYC is facing currently is that those who don’t benefit are leaving bad eroding the tax base.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
A lot of those people benefit from electing who they elect. Why wouldn’t they elect them? One of the issues NYC is facing currently is that those who don’t benefit are leaving bad eroding the tax base.
That's the funny thing most of them really don't benefit. At all.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
NYC was bad in the 70s-early 90s.the city literally went bankrupt. What saved NYC was the dotcom boom as the US economy went on a tear for the next 10 years and Giuliani was the right guy at the right time. The dotcom boom would’ve helped NYC anyway but Giulianis policies had a positive multiplier effect.

9/11 and 2008 were completely different situations and no one claimed NYCs QOL was deteriorating. They were economic shocks but nothing to do with QOL. I remember 2008 in NYC and not much changed apart from more people losing their jobs. People maybe lost 10-15% value on paper in their homes for a few years.

COVID precipitated this current death spiral so to claim everything is A-OK after COVID is a bit removed from reality.

The current problems in NYC are QOL issues associated with city politics. The last time this happened was during the 70s through late 80s and it wasn’t pretty.
It did not "literally" go bankrupt. It came close but bankruptcy was never declared nor was there a default. Read history.

https://www.historycentral.com/Today/NYSaved.html

Old 01-05-2024, 12:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
I grew up in the city; had razor blade to my neck, gun pulled on me, asked to check my pockets frequently...even then I still walked home a night, slept on the train. Eventually the well to do leave, prices drop and the wealthy find deals and move back in, displacing those tho stayed. It is an opportunity for those with $$$.

Point is, LI'er see this and panic because your only experience with the city is like a tourist, its transactional, you rent a room and stay for a night and visit touristy locations. But NYC like any city has crime. There will be worse time and better times, but ultimately it will pass.
I also grew up in the City, lived in Queens for over 30 years of the life. I remember the 1980s as a kid when much of the City was a no go zone because of crime, including large parts of Brooklyn near the Queens border. I remember the City before Guiliani and Bloomberg cleaned it up.

The deterioration that is going on in NYC is not just about crime, its part of a gross economic mismanagement of the City for the last 15 years or so. They literally act like they believe money grows on trees. The sanctuary city chaos, the Bail reform, attempt to close Rikers, failed school reform, handcuffing of the police, etc. are all signs that City leaders have no idea how to run a city and maintain it long term economically. The economic recovery under Guiliani and Bloomberg has been wasted and is long gone.

Even the congestion pricing, proposals for East River tolls and especially the speed cameras are signs are the City just keeps finding new ways to gouge its citizens for ever more money. What they are going to find is that more and more of these taxpayers are going to be fed up and leave as soon as they can.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
That's the funny thing most of them really don't benefit. At all.
Of course they do. People don’t vote against their own interests for the most part. Their interests just aren’t aligned with yours or mine.

Quote:
It did not "literally" go bankrupt. It came close but bankruptcy was never declared nor was there a default. Read history.

https://www.historycentral.com/Today/NYSaved.html
Semantics. The city was bankrupt.

Old 01-05-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I also grew up in the City, lived in Queens for over 30 years of the life. I remember the 1980s as a kid when much of the City was a no go zone because of crime, including large parts of Brooklyn near the Queens border. I remember the City before Guiliani and Bloomberg cleaned it up.

The deterioration that is going on in NYC is not just about crime, its part of a gross economic mismanagement of the City for the last 15 years or so. They literally act like they believe money grows on trees. The sanctuary city chaos, the Bail reform, attempt to close Rikers, failed school reform, handcuffing of the police, etc. are all signs that City leaders have no idea how to run a city and maintain it long term economically. The economic recovery under Guiliani and Bloomberg has been wasted and is long gone.

Even the congestion pricing, proposals for East River tolls and especially the speed cameras are signs are the City just keeps finding new ways to gouge its citizens for ever more money. What they are going to find is that more and more of these taxpayers are going to be fed up and leave as soon as they can.
At least someone gets it. Like the old saying goes , “slowly at first, then all at once”. The collapse will be much quicker than the lead up.

Old 01-05-2024, 03:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:

nice job chicken little. This is like a summary of a wikipedia entry, lol. if your middle school level thesis is correct, it would only take a simple change in policy to correct any QOL issues! Regardless, we've heard it all before. Similar concerns have been raised about Long Island for decades as well. I don't see things devolving to Detroit levels of squalor around here any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island