Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 02:44 PM

3,529 posts, read 5,714,687 times

Advertisements

Definition of an idiot....

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...sland-nbrtyfxg

Why would you go back to NYC and the cesspool that it is?

Old 11-07-2023, 02:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 765,063 times
I love how newsday considered this news.

“We thought Lindenhurst was close to the city, but it wasn't that close," Demetrio said.”

I can’t. Talk about not doing their research.

Seems like the entire family works/go to school in Manhattan and Brooklyn. So they all are stuck with horrendous commutes. They probably did a test drive during the pandemic and were like o I can get to work in 45 minutes.

Old 11-07-2023, 04:02 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I love how newsday considered this news.

“We thought Lindenhurst was close to the city, but it wasn't that close," Demetrio said.”

I can’t. Talk about not doing their research.

Seems like the entire family works/go to school in Manhattan and Brooklyn. So they all are stuck with horrendous commutes. They probably did a test drive during the pandemic and were like o I can get to work in 45 minutes.
Ya just can't fix stupid!

Old 11-07-2023, 06:58 PM

61 posts, read 20,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Definition of an idiot....

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...sland-nbrtyfxg

Why would you go back to NYC and the cesspool that it is?
I wanted to, but realized it was not exactly the way I remembered it so I decided to stay here.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:10 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,048,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Ya just can't fix stupid!
Don't know about outright "stupid". More like an immigrant family (at least the parents) who didn't have a clue about suburbs and or are having second thoughts.

Certainly aren't "stupid" in that they're flipping that house for good amount more than paid so things aren't so bad. Seems like their mortgage will be paid and couple will have bit left over to spend on a new place in NYC somewhere.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:43 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,335,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Don't know about outright "stupid". More like an immigrant family (at least the parents) who didn't have a clue about suburbs and or are having second thoughts.

Certainly aren't "stupid" in that they're flipping that house for good amount more than paid so things aren't so bad. Seems like their mortgage will be paid and couple will have bit left over to spend on a new place in NYC somewhere.
Gotta factor in and work done, realtor, closing costs, moving costs, taxes spent and most importantly they didn’t live in it for 2 years so they are on the hook for capital gains tax.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:18 PM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
I am unable to read the article so I replied without knowing all the facts. That said I stand on the comment because unless they all were schooled and employed closer to Lindenhurst when they bought as compared to today this should have been apparent to them. There is common sense and then there is snowflake syndrome. I worked downtown with people that commuted from the Hamptons. Was it easy for them? Absolutely not but they didn’t cave to what was easy. This is a knee jerk response and with mortgage rates where they are now, it makes little sense.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 765,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Their interest rate more than doubled. They losing a lot of money ! If they take the same mortgage amount they will be paying an extra 1600 a month in interest alone. And as said above Long Island taxes closing costs realtor fees they got crushed.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:16 AM

1,275 posts, read 566,537 times
Probably see more of this. A lot of people fled the city and bought when they could work fully remote. Now they're commuting at least part time which means buying a car if they didn'tneed one before or taking the LIRR instead of the subway or cab, on top of realizing how much time is lost in travel..., finally seeing that tax bill based on the updated home values, realizing the ancillary costs of home ownership, realizing that suburban life isn't convenient.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:46 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,966,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
Probably see more of this. A lot of people fled the city and bought when they could work fully remote. Now they're commuting at least part time which means buying a car if they didn'tneed one before or taking the LIRR instead of the subway or cab, on top of realizing how much time is lost in travel..., finally seeing that tax bill based on the updated home values, realizing the ancillary costs of home ownership, realizing that suburban life isn't convenient.
I know several fellow Long Islanders who moved here thinking their commute to work would be about 1 hour each way. Bad but bearable (in their view). But then they learned the drive to the train, wait for the train, the travel via subway to their work vicinity, and then their walk from the subway to work meant it was more like 2 hours. Which was about four hours daily. Worse with delays and bad weather. Ouch. And these folks are not idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island