Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 12:20 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I know several fellow Long Islanders who moved here thinking their commute to work would be about 1 hour each way. Bad but bearable (in their view). But then they learned the drive to the train, wait for the train, the travel via subway to their work vicinity, and then their walk from the subway to work meant it was more like 2 hours. Which was about four hours daily. Worse with delays and bad weather. Ouch. And these folks are not idiots.
I spent over 30 years as a LIRR commuter on the Oyster Bay line. That was back in the days of the diesel trains too for most of it. So, the only time I had a peach a commute was when I worked at 2 Penn Plaza. That was a dream. My stop to Penn was 48 minutes so most of the time it was just under/ at the hour mark. The rest of the time when I worked downtown and had to take the subway from Brooklyn it was closer to a 90 min commute. Trains were rarely on time with the Oyster Bay line back, then so for much of my career I was door to door at the 1:45 - 2:00 hour mark.

Life is all about choices, they can work on LI and get paid less and stay in their house or they can suck it up and continue to commute like so many others. If one thinks and makes decisions without thinking about the future then they only have themselves to blame.

Old 11-08-2023, 12:26 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Well if Mineola and Riverhead were more built up, ppl on LI wouldn't have to travel so far to earn money

Almost like daily migrants

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-08-2023, 01:02 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Commuting is a sacrifice you make to live in a suburb.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:04 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well if Mineola and Riverhead were more built up, ppl on LI wouldn't have to travel so far to earn money

Almost like daily migrants
Mineola literally can not be built up anymore. Plenty of jobs south of Jericho. Have you ever been? There’s all new massive apartments off Willis avenue. Then the massive apartments on old country road. Winthrop has taken over Mineola blvd. It can’t physically be built anymore. Mineola is so built up they are expanding to garden city for space for medical buildings on Franklin.

There’s not parking for what is there now.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:52 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Mineola literally can not be built up anymore. Plenty of jobs south of Jericho. Have you ever been? There’s all new massive apartments off Willis avenue. Then the massive apartments on old country road. Winthrop has taken over Mineola blvd. It can’t physically be built anymore. Mineola is so built up they are expanding to garden city for space for medical buildings on Franklin.

There’s not parking for what is there now.
Well Hempstead then

I haven't been to Mineola since 2020.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-08-2023, 01:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well Hempstead then

I haven't been to Mineola since 2020.
Give it up. It will take 3 generations to weed out the negative name of Hempstead before people accept it as a place you want to go. You could tell me the best restaurant in the world is in Hempstead and nothing is priced higher than $17 and my reservation is for sat at 7pm with a comp of $20. I still wouldn’t go because it’s Hempstead.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:11 PM

788 posts, read 486,798 times
Let's face it, most of LI/NYC will be a South/Central American migrant slum in 10 years as millions and millions of dirt poor 3rd world uneducated/unskilled make their way here. Just look at it already.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:54 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvainraider View Post
First of all, Long Island is mostly trash and it doesn't have this convenience 24/7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Bj5d6sBz0

Anyone commuting to downtown from the Hamptons each day is a moron.
lol name a suburb in the US that has the “convenience” of a crime ridden cesspool of a subway 24/7. You can keep it thanks!

Old 11-09-2023, 07:25 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Why would you go back to NYC and the cesspool that it is?

Gosh , I think Manhattan ( and parts of Queens and Brooklyn ) is great.
The city has so much to offer , wonderful museums and theaters . Many
parks to walk through. Great restaurants .
Each neighborhood is like a little village .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-09-2023, 07:55 AM

3,521 posts, read 5,703,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Why would you go back to NYC and the cesspool that it is?

Gosh , I think Manhattan ( and parts of Queens and Brooklyn ) is great.
The city has so much to offer , wonderful museums and theaters . Many
parks to walk through. Great restaurants .
Each neighborhood is like a little village .
Filled with homeless, garbage and crazies all over the place...

Thanks but no thanks. I grew up in Brooklyn, still have my street smarts, but cant go back to live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island