Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 06:13 AM

31,989 posts, read 27,154,472 times

Advertisements

That Santos was allowed to run in first place shows everything that is wrong with NYS GOP party.

Much of what has been uncovered uncovered about this loon (aside from misuse of fund and few other bits) were out there if anyone bothered to look. But Nassau republican committee took word of their counterpart in Queens and failed to do any due diligence.

https://liherald.com/franklinsquare/...tuation,159192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 07:10 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,343,511 times
Who cares. He’s not in my district, I would 100% vote for him if he was, not because I like him. The last thing we need is any more lunatic liberal democrats in the house. I would vote for a stray cat over a liberal.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:49 AM

22,217 posts, read 19,520,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Possibly but that’s all just assumptions. There is so much going on right now ousting Santos is obviously not high on anyone’s priority list, except for D’Esposito and a few others.
Maybe, but Johnson's own comments on it mentioned specifically the slim majority. Following the speaker debacle that likely played a role. We will see what happens after the ethics committee wraps up. With that said, I see it likely that he gets more votes to expel (based on comments about waiting for it to finish up), but I would agree it would be unlikely that he gets the 2/3 required.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:56 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,791,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Maybe, but Johnson's own comments on it mentioned specifically the slim majority. Following the speaker debacle that likely played a role. We will see what happens after the ethics committee wraps up. With that said, I see it likely that he gets more votes to expel (based on comments about waiting for it to finish up), but I would agree it would be unlikely that he gets the 2/3 required.
I agree I’m sure there will be more votes to expel especially on the Dem side. But 2/3 very very unlikely

Old 11-02-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Who cares. He’s not in my district, I would 100% vote for him if he was, not because I like him. The last thing we need is any more lunatic liberal democrats in the house. I would vote for a stray cat over a liberal.
I will say this, he’s a serial liar with major issues for sure but his voting record is rock solid

Old 11-02-2023, 08:21 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,190,734 times
The real shame of all political elections has become the party line or no line attitude. We as Americans should be voting regardless of party line, for which person we believe will do the best job. The best example of this was Biden was pigeonholed into Kamala by his own words. Minority and woman. Was she the best person for the job? I would say No. But she fit the bill. The only demographic that was not checked that would have been more beneficial would have been if she had transitioned from a man. The LGBTQ demographic would have been the trifecta.

Just like Fetterman was elected (FWIW I would not have voted for either OZ or Fetterman) so too, was Santos not put out of office. I was a registered Dem for 50 years. Why? Not for political ideology at all, rather because when I registered I was told if I ever wanted to get anything done in the future I had to register as a Rep. So I registered as a Dem. After moving to De. I kept that registration until I could study the landscape and a year ago, essentially for the same reason, I switched. This is Biden territory through and through and I am tired of hearing that we need to elect so an so and keep them. I have never once voted across party lines and thankfully never will. If you were able to see my voting record I will guarantee that you would never be able to determine my party by my votes.
We need to start from the bottom up and vote for the better person for the job and not for the party.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:03 AM

31,989 posts, read 27,154,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Possibly but that’s all just assumptions. There is so much going on right now ousting Santos is obviously not high on anyone’s priority list, except for D’Esposito and a few others.
House just went through nearly four weeks of drama over ousting McCarthy and then finding a new speaker. No one wants go *there* again...

GOP needs to get their ducks in a row and concentrate on behaving like a cohesive unit instead of like fractions of warring tribes. They've already given democrats more than enough ammunition to go after various republican candidates in upcoming election cycle.

House is only in session for < 25 days before end of this session of Congress. There is eff tons that House needs to get done and GOP will need to prove it can deliver without drama.

Again Santos is an eejit who isn't going to be around after next elections in November 2024. It is a huge waste of time, effort and money to oust him which (again) would compel NYS to spend money on a special election for a seat that comes up for election just few months later (November 2024).

Even if Santos were ejected from House next week it's not even a given NYS could have a special election called and done with by spring or summer of 2024. Again by then what's the point?

Meanwhile Johnston has an obedient lap dog with Santos. Speaker says "jump" and Santos will respond "how high?".

Old 11-02-2023, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
House just went through nearly four weeks of drama over ousting McCarthy and then finding a new speaker. No one wants go *there* again...

GOP needs to get their ducks in a row and concentrate on behaving like a cohesive unit instead of like fractions of warring tribes. They've already given democrats more than enough ammunition to go after various republican candidates in upcoming election cycle.

House is only in session for < 25 days before end of this session of Congress. There is eff tons that House needs to get done and GOP will need to prove it can deliver without drama.

Again Santos is an eejit who isn't going to be around after next elections in November 2024. It is a huge waste of time, effort and money to oust him which (again) would compel NYS to spend money on a special election for a seat that comes up for election just few months later (November 2024).

Even if Santos were ejected from House next week it's not even a given NYS could have a special election called and done with by spring or summer of 2024. Again by then what's the point?

Meanwhile Johnston has an obedient lap dog with Santos. Speaker says "jump" and Santos will respond "how high?".
I think you nailed it 100%. Well said.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 1,237,767 times
The Dems voted to keep him around because he such an embarrassment for Repubs. You can't buy bad PR like the kind he generates.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:32 PM

22,217 posts, read 19,520,797 times
Quote:
House ethics committee is finishing their investigation and report. It will be done in about three weeks. The better precedent is to expel members only post-conviction or post-ethics investigation. That way you get at least some due process - either internal or external - before expulsion. That’s existing precedent, at least as I understand it. This vote was basically asking us to change precedent in a way that’s unnecessary (we can wait three weeks) and could be really dangerous in the hands of a future Congress.

He should definitely resign - no question. And I’m fine on voting to kick him out. Just need to make sure we don’t do that in a way that opens Pandora’s box down the road.
This is from North Carolina Congressman Jeff Jackson who is one of the Democrats who voted against expelling Santos. I personally wish they voted to expel Santos, but I respect where he is coming from on this. It also leads me to believe there will likely be quite a few more votes to oust him when the ethics report comes out, though I still doubt it comes to the 2/3 needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island