Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 12:14 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
Selling your house here would net you a ton of $, easily paying for your move, and a house somewhere else, along with money in the bank.
Not really. Most decent places are now nearly as high as here. A friend just moved to one of N Carolina and the house, and many others in decent neighborhoods, is in the 500-600 ranges. Not everyone is getting that for their house. And most people still have a mortgage, so that is out of the question. They would still need a mortgage when they move down there. Plus, at 7% interest, there is another deal breaker. Not an easy solution to most unless you are a retired senior citizen sitting on a paid for $700k house

And the biggest issue is that no one should have to move because their state’s Governor is doing everything possible to rig future elections (again). She should be thrown out for suggesting it. If people cannot make it to the polls, and I do not give a crap if it is because they need water while waiting on long hot lines or work all day, they just do not vote. You have all day from 6 am til 9pm to do it. If you can’t find the time or transportation, then you aren’t worth the vote. Out grandmothers did it with no modern conveniences. So can everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 04:35 PM

718 posts, read 619,866 times
A classic democrat deflection technique is to always claim no evidence. Regardless if there is or their illegality is caught in 4k hd video. The answer will always be no evidence.

Old 10-14-2023, 05:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree with both posts.

FWIW, I'm 72 years old, living in a paid off house. WTH would I go, that wouldn't cost me a considerable amount of money to move to? So, even if the COL there was notably lower, I doubt that I'd live long enough to reach the break even point..... I'm stuck.
I'm close to your age and thought the same ... but I was out around Lehighton PA a few months ago. Area is beautiful, there are older Victorian homes for sale at 1/3 the price of what you can probably get right now for your LI home. Large newer homes with big properties high 300s. Close enough to metro NY if you need to visit family.
Winters are hard but it got me thinking ....
Friends have sold LI homes and retired to Honesdale PA area (up near Scranton) and Allentown/Bethlehem area. All happy with the move and visit back here often.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 10-14-2023 at 05:26 PM..

Old 10-15-2023, 08:10 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Not really. Most decent places are now nearly as high as here. A friend just moved to one in N Carolina and the house, and many others in decent neighborhoods, is in the 500-600 ranges. Not everyone is getting that for their house. And most people still have a mortgage, so that is out of the question. They would still need a mortgage when they move down there. Plus, at 7% interest, there is another deal breaker. Not an easy solution to most unless you are a retired senior citizen sitting on a paid for $700k house

And the biggest issue is that no one should have to move because their state’s Governor is doing everything possible to rig future elections (again). She should be thrown out for suggesting it. If people cannot make it to the polls, and I do not give a crap if it is because they need water while waiting on long hot lines or work all day, they just do not vote. You have all day from 6 am til 9pm to do it. If you can’t find the time or transportation, then you aren’t worth the vote. Out grandmothers did it with no modern conveniences. So can everyone else.

Most estimates, by the online sites like Zillow or Realator.com, value my home at around $400K. So, how would my selling it, and buying a $500K home in N Carolina, be a financially sound decision??

Bottom line, Kathy Hochul needs to go, not me!

Old 10-15-2023, 11:03 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

Most estimates, by the online sites like Zillow or Realator.com, value my home at around $400K. So, how would my selling it, and buying a $500K home in N Carolina, be a financially sound decision??

Bottom line, Kathy Hochul needs to go, not me!
True but at 72 who says you need to move to another house of equal value? Lots of condos and senior communities down south.

Old 10-16-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
True but at 72 who says you need to move to another house of equal value? Lots of condos and senior communities down south.
I don't want a condo, where my neighbor is living on the other side of the wall. I want to be able to have some semblance of control over my safety (fires from cigarettes, etc.), be able to listen to my stereo at 2AM, if I want to, without disturbing someone else, as well as my ability to wash my own car in my own driveway, or changing my own oil, without some HOA telling me I can't.

Furthermore, I moved 3 times, in the past, before I was 10 years old, due to job transfers that my father accepted. It isn't easy or fun, settling into some place, getting to know the area, the people, establishing a rhythm, then picking up and resettling somewhere else. Secondly, I've been a "car guy" all of my life, and during that time, I've acquired a metric ton of supplies, tools, and spare parts, that help me enjoy that hobby. Every time I go into my basement, I look at the shelves full of "stuff" that I now have, and say, "There's no way I'm packing it all up and moving"!!!

Old 11-03-2023, 08:54 PM

143 posts, read 111,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Her pathetic 5% margin of victory must have really scared her.
One and done, hopefully. She makes my stomach turn.

Old 11-04-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
One and done, hopefully. She makes my stomach turn.

Old 11-04-2023, 06:49 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I wouldn’t say Kathy Hochul is THE reason we got out, but I’ll say she was definitely one of the final nails in the coffin. We saw the handwriting on the wall and just knew, NOW was the time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island