Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 09:39 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
........... We had friends who bought years ago in the Florida. They were head over heels for a home that had a gorgeous view and that was what "sold" them. Before they signed on the dotted line, they showed me pictures and I immediately asked if there was any buildable land in front of them that could eventually block that view. They had not thought of it and so they asked and the realtor was kind of vague. So they went to the County land & deed recorder and sure enough there was still a buildable plot and yes it could block the views based upon height restrictions. They walked away and 3 years later they saw a huge home being built that would have destroyed their views.

Home buying is not for the fait of heart.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine, except he actually bought into the condo building.... In his situation, he bought a top floor (somewhat fortunately) condo unit, across the street from the beach, in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Directly beachfront, were a number of "single story", but about 6 feet off the ground, cottages. Being on the third floor of the complex, his unit had view that went right over the tops of the cottages, and he could see the ocean from his balcony.......for about 5-6 years.

At that point, a "developer" came in, bought 4-5 of the cottages, tore them down, and built a 12-14 story, "luxury high rise complex" in place of the cottages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 03:45 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBadBeat View Post
I just recently purchased a house in the Town of Hempstead. There is a restaurant parking lot that borders my backyard. There is only a 6 foot chain fence between my yard and the parking spaces. People pull in head first. Having young children that play in the backyard, I’m always nervous that someone is going to accelerate through the fence. Is there any zoning or setback laws that require more than a chain link fence?
I am curious what attracted you to this particular house, since you have young children, and you are "always nervous" that someone may drive through the fence?

What was the upside of this particular property? I hope you got a good deal on this house.

If there was a zoning law, that would have come up during the inspection, don't you think? Is the chain-link fence yours or does it belong to the restaurant? I really don't think it's incumbent on the Town of Hempstead to protect you from the possibility that that a car will accelerate through the fence. In fact, I am thinking, and I am not sure what would prevent an accelerated car from driving through the fence.

Remember the most important factor when selecting Real Estate? Sure, you do -

Location, Location, Location.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
I just recently purchased a house in the Town of Hempstead. There is a restaurant parking lot that borders my backyard. There is only a 6 foot chain fence between my yard and the parking spaces. People pull in head first. Having young children that play in the backyard, I’m always nervous that someone is going to accelerate through the fence. Is there any zoning or setback laws that require more than a chain link fence?

That's a question you ask BEFORE you buy the house, not after. You're like the people who buy a house by an airport and then complain about the noise of the planes taking off and landing.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:07 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
My friend alleys told me to NEVER buy a house near a business area. What is a nice quiet today can easily be a body shop with paint fumes in a year. At no cost would I purchase a house that lines a commercial zone

I have no issues with the hardware store that butts up against the side of the house where I live. The owners are nice enough to let the locals park in their lot (as long as it's after hours) during snow emergencies. We don't do that odd side-even side nonsense. It's "we've declared a snow emergency. We will be plowing certain areas of the cities on such and such date. If you live on one of those streets make sure your car is off the street when the plow comes down." My city tows a lot less cars than the surrounding cities.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:38 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I love when someone posts a question or problem they are having then never return back with any replies. It's annoying. Please be courteous and respond to peoples questions.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:27 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Ok so here are a few more details. It is an IHOP and he owns the house for roughly 9 years now base upon this earlier post. He has only made 3 posts and one was in reply to his first post.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long...overnight.html

Commercial property there before he was.

End of story

Old 09-13-2023, 09:29 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
There are no houses near the now closed IHOP in Hempstead.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:37 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,542 times
Quote:
Location, location, location.

Old 09-18-2023, 08:35 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I love when someone posts a question or problem they are having then never return back with any replies. It's annoying. Please be courteous and respond to peoples questions.

I thought it was common sense that if you moved in next to an airport or train station, you petition to make them move or at the very least, be more quiet.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I thought it was common sense that if you moved in next to an airport or train station, you petition to make them move or at the very least, be more quiet.
No, that only happens to automobile race tracks..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island