Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 10:47 AM

20,998 posts, read 28,570,050 times

Advertisements

My question would have been why did you buy a house behind a restaurant? I would have walked away from this if it were me. Who needs a commercial property behind my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 10:05 PM

3,302 posts, read 2,387,812 times
My friend alleys told me to NEVER buy a house near a business area. What is a nice quiet today can easily be a body shop with paint fumes in a year. At no cost would I purchase a house that lines a commercial zone

Old 09-02-2023, 02:33 AM

350 posts, read 201,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Well said. And restaurants are having a hard time right now with staffing, they certainly don't need a whiner like the OP who's worried about such a thing "possibly" happening. The odds of a car accidentally accelerating and busting through a chain link fence into someone's backyard is probably on par with getting struck by lightning.
Awww bless your heart.

Plenty more where this came from.

13-year-old crashes car through fence in Aurora, 4 other teens under 15 inside car

CBS News Colorado spoke also to homeowner Moustafa Alidou, who said two of their family's pet rabbits died in the crash when the car went through the fence. The homeowner said it was about 5 a.m. when he returned home and found the vehicle in his backyard. He mentioned, living on the corner of a busy road, the potential for something like this happening had always been of concern, especially because his three young children enjoy playing in the backyard.

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/new...sippi-elkhart/

Old 09-02-2023, 04:46 AM

6,741 posts, read 5,988,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
Awww bless your heart.

13-year-old crashes car through fence in Aurora, 4 other teens under 15 inside car

CBS News Colorado spoke also to homeowner Moustafa Alidou, who said two of their family's pet rabbits died in the crash when the car went through the fence. The homeowner said it was about 5 a.m. when he returned home and found the vehicle in his backyard. He mentioned, living on the corner of a busy road, the potential for something like this happening had always been of concern, especially because his three young children enjoy playing in the backyard.

Isn’t this a bit unusual, though? How often do 13-year-olds commandeer cars and drive through peoples’ backyard fences?

I would suggest the homeowner put up a large, noise canceling fence, and add a few decorative boulders just in case. Problem solved. Plus it will increase the resale value of the property.

Old 09-02-2023, 06:59 AM

10,863 posts, read 5,763,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
Awww bless your heart.

In the accident that you referenced, the teens didn’t drive through a fence separating a business parking lot from a residence. Bit of analogy failure right there.

Bless your heart. . .

Old 09-02-2023, 07:49 AM

122 posts, read 237,595 times
I think we need to remind ourselves that the responsibility of the "guests" of any business lay on the patrons(there is no he/she did it therefore it isn't my responsability) and patrons themselves should abide by rules set in for which they received a permit for.

If there is a track nearby, then "guests" should abide said track rules. Any shenanigans done by guests is the responsibility of the business owner. There is no "this is what we do" or "it is in our blood to do donuts and wheelies" or "we racers are always loud". This is what guests of businesses should understand. Patrons are responsible of what guests do.

If there is a restaurant abutting your property, then said restaurant and its guests should abide by said rules. The guests are being loud in the parking lot of throwing trash out on the street? The restaurant owners will be responsible for it.

If they cannot make their guests follow rules, then they get fines. If they receive multiple fines, then their permit will be revoked and the business cannot operate. Who is it to blame? The person making the complaints? No. The guests not respecting said rules? Yes. Can businesses do anything about it? No.
It is stated in the code for each town/village.

Same thing applies to residential lots/homeowners. They have an illegal fence? The neighbor has the right to notify the town. They are throwing trash out on the street? The neighbor has a right to notify the town.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:13 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times
Terrible, but cars out of control do happen.

My FIL, lives in West Babylon, a corner property, and he had put those boulders like another poster had stated, sadly, it did not work.A car was speeding, I think drunk, none the less, (all on camera) the car thus went in between the boulders and right thru the PVC 6foot privacy fence, and what had stopped the car was a tree planted a few feet from the fence. If the tree wasn't there, the car would have gone straight thru the back fence and to the back door neighbors pool.

Luckily, no one was in the back yard, but their grand kids do play there as well as he and the GF do gardening and all that stuff you do in the yard.

The car then backed up and left the scene, but was identified by other houses that luckily had comera's.I believe the GF is going to, (or must have by now), called the town to have them install those guard rails. I actually have to ask him how they resolved that situation, as this thread reminded me of it.

Personally, after calling the town, I would have of had cinder block wall installed to whatever height the town would allow, (if there are rules) and then have it either stuccoed or bricked or whatever would make it look nice, plus plant more trees every few feet or whatever is the right way to plant them.

It is not a joke, cars crashing thru someones property, especially if the home owner has little children.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 09-04-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 09-04-2023, 11:28 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,753,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is going to sound harsh but it is, what it is. There used to be something called personal responsibility that exists so rarely now. People buy a home near an airport and then get bitter and twisted because there is plane noise, or near a railroad and complain about the train whistle. If you buy a house and it is near a commercial establishment there is a reason you got the home for that price. It is because it backed into a restaurant parking lot and the people that looked at that house before you made the decision that the discounted price as compared to others in the neighborhood was not worth it to them. You chose differently and now are trying to make an existing business the boogeyman.

This is not to say that I don't understand your concern. The idea of headlights beaming into my yard would have made me say a hard "no" regardless of the idea of the safety of my family. I really have a hard time trying to understand why, when people fail to do their homework, the blame is on the existing business or infrastructure. Take the discount you got when you bought the place and reinforce your side of the fence.

I don't live anywhere near an airport, and have been for over 3 decades, but in 2012 the FAA changed the flight paths, and now we are under a flight path (when they use a certain runway), so while I agree with your statement about doing ones homework, I did do my homework, it was the FAA that changed the route. Anyway, that was just to make a point that sometimes people do do their homework, but something else changes beyond their control.

Now, the poster did not say anything about headlights beaming into his yard, but, I totally get your logic on that, and I too would not have of bought the house either.

I'm thinking the poster just wants to know what he can do about his situation that he has now regarding the fence and it not being a real deterrent for cars to go thru.

I still stand by a concrete wall, and then trees.....

Old 09-05-2023, 08:24 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I don't live anywhere near an airport, and have been for over 3 decades, but in 2012 the FAA changed the flight paths, and now we are under a flight path (when they use a certain runway), so while I agree with your statement about doing ones homework, I did do my homework, it was the FAA that changed the route. Anyway, that was just to make a point that sometimes people do do their homework, but something else changes beyond their control.

Now, the poster did not say anything about headlights beaming into his yard, but, I totally get your logic on that, and I too would not have of bought the house either.

I'm thinking the poster just wants to know what he can do about his situation that he has now regarding the fence and it not being a real deterrent for cars to go thru.

I still stand by a concrete wall, and then trees.....
But, your case is very different. I did not and could not say you did not do your homework. Your case in point, would be impossible to anticipate or prevent as when you made your purchase there was a different flight path and unless you had knowledge of the FAA proceedings it would have been an unknown, until it was approved as a change to the flight path.

In this case, since he did not indicate that the restaurant was new, I am guessing there was a restaurant there when he bought and he no doubt got a price reduction in terms of the original sales price due to that fact.

Regarding the headlights, I said that "The idea of headlights beaming into my yard would have made me say a hard "no" regardless of the idea of the safety of my family." i.e. meaning I would have anticipated the headlights and that would have immediately made this location a hard no for me, long before I had my kids in the yard.

We had friends who bought years ago in the Florida. They were head over heels for a home that had a gorgeous view and that was what "sold" them. Before they signed on the dotted line, they showed me pictures and I immediately asked if there was any buildable land in front of them that could eventually block that view. They had not thought of it and so they asked and the realtor was kind of vague. So they went to the County land & deed recorder and sure enough there was still a buildable plot and yes it could block the views based upon height restrictions. They walked away and 3 years later they saw a huge home being built that would have destroyed their views.

Home buying is not for the fait of heart.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:33 AM

5,097 posts, read 3,991,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My question would have been why did you buy a house behind a restaurant? I would have walked away from this if it were me. Who needs a commercial property behind my yard.
Houses abutting commercial property are frequently priced accordingly. (Many folks steer clear of that situation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island