Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:51 AM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
The business is required to maintain a 6-foot barrier (fence) between themselves and residential property. Privacy screening may also be required. Anything else above that is voluntary. You could speak with the business owner to voice your concerns and see if they feel like shelling out for some bollards or stopping blocks.
Why would the business owner agree to this? If they have met their legal requirements, anything else for the protection of the homeowner should (appropriately) be the responsibility of the homeowner.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 08-31-2023 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 03:53 PM

122 posts, read 235,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBadBeat View Post
I just recently purchased a house in the Town of Hempstead. There is a restaurant parking lot that borders my backyard. There is only a 6 foot chain fence between my yard and the parking spaces. People pull in head first. Having young children that play in the backyard, I’m always nervous that someone is going to accelerate through the fence. Is there any zoning or setback laws that require more than a chain link fence?
Are you in town of hempstead or village of hempstead?
For village of hempstead u can go to bza seeking a solid wall(heavy timber) to be put there for safety reasons.
Other than that, you can put up a wood or vinyl fence on your side with strong reinforcement.

Dont put up a concrete wall.

And if noise is a concern or glare from headlights to your propert at night, then chapter 144 can help you.
With enough complaints, the town might make the restaurant put a solid fence in there or get something to reduce the noise aka have an actual fence(vinyl or timber). If you end up going that route, it will get a bad enemy.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:13 PM

58 posts, read 29,750 times
Big boulders dropped off by a crane. Looks Greer than a concrete wall. Do some landscaping around them to make it look nice.

Old 08-31-2023, 06:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 563,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Why would the business owner agree to this? If they have met their legal requirements, anything else for the protection of the homeowner should (appropriately) be the responsibility of the homeowner.

The business has no legal obligation, as I've acknowledged. It's always worth asking, as some business owners will shell out the dough to be seen as good neighbors or to squash any possibility of poor press or social media activity.

If that's unsuccessful, then the dwelling owner is free to install some sort of bollard or wall himself.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:46 AM

6,465 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell on Property View Post
Seriously. The housing market around here is tight but c'mon man, it's not like this is a latent defect, you must have understood when you bought the house that it was adjacent to a parking lot.
I agree, but it brings something to mind, for me. I've been a life-long automobile racing enthusiast, and I'm heading out to the track, tonight, for a season ending racing program. Season ending, on September 1st, you say? Yeah, it's because there are so many "noise complaints", that the track is under constant harassment by the local "neighborhood association".....a group of people who moved into the area in the 70s, near an active racetrack that had been in operation since the mid 1950s............

The track now hosts only 6 shows per season.

Old 09-01-2023, 06:33 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
This is going to sound harsh but it is, what it is. There used to be something called personal responsibility that exists so rarely now. People buy a home near an airport and then get bitter and twisted because there is plane noise, or near a railroad and complain about the train whistle. If you buy a house and it is near a commercial establishment there is a reason you got the home for that price. It is because it backed into a restaurant parking lot and the people that looked at that house before you made the decision that the discounted price as compared to others in the neighborhood was not worth it to them. You chose differently and now are trying to make an existing business the boogeyman.

This is not to say that I don't understand your concern. The idea of headlights beaming into my yard would have made me say a hard "no" regardless of the idea of the safety of my family. I really have a hard time trying to understand why, when people fail to do their homework, the blame is on the existing business or infrastructure. Take the discount you got when you bought the place and reinforce your side of the fence.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:16 AM

6,465 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is going to sound harsh but it is, what it is. There used to be something called personal responsibility that exists so rarely now. People buy a home near an airport and then get bitter and twisted because there is plane noise, or near a railroad and complain about the train whistle. If you buy a house and it is near a commercial establishment there is a reason you got the home for that price. It is because it backed into a restaurant parking lot and the people that looked at that house before you made the decision that the discounted price as compared to others in the neighborhood was not worth it to them. You chose differently and now are trying to make an existing business the boogeyman.

This is not to say that I don't understand your concern. The idea of headlights beaming into my yard would have made me say a hard "no" regardless of the idea of the safety of my family. I really have a hard time trying to understand why, when people fail to do their homework, the blame is on the existing business or infrastructure. Take the discount you got when you bought the place and reinforce your side of the fence.
Bingo!!

Old 09-01-2023, 09:27 AM

719 posts, read 621,333 times
Build a big beautiful wall like trump would build.

Or

Wait till some drunk in the car winds up in your living room with the trunk of the car sticking out for a good newsday shot.

Old 09-01-2023, 09:36 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Build a big beautiful wall like trump would build.

Or

Wait till some drunk in the car winds up in your living room with the trunk of the car sticking out for a good newsday shot.
Actually, the Trump wall is a series of vertical metal pillars or slats, that you can see through, and likely won't block much noise. But if you're concerned about illegal immigrants infiltrating your yard....

Old 09-01-2023, 09:38 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,024,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
This is going to sound harsh but it is, what it is. There used to be something called personal responsibility that exists so rarely now. Take the discount you got when you bought the place and reinforce your side of the fence.
Well said. And restaurants are having a hard time right now with staffing, they certainly don't need a whiner like the OP who's worried about such a thing "possibly" happening. The odds of a car accidentally accelerating and busting through a chain link fence into someone's backyard is probably on par with getting struck by lightning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island